Help with Ketchikan

aac1623

Ketchikan is our first stop next summer (end of aug) on our cruise. I didn't plan much for this port, trying to cut costs :) figured it would be great to walk around and check out the totem poles, DIY, etc. But I was thinking about doing either the Town and Harbor Duck tour or the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show.... it'll be just DH and I, both in early 30's, and another couple, same age. Anyone have a preference of what they liked better? Or neither and save my $100 lol?

Lumberjack show is very cheesey. If you're all fans of Pro Wrestling then you might love it - that's the sort of scripted 'contest' you're looking at, though with more humour (similar commentary vibe to things like 'gator shows in Florida). If you actually want to see lumberjacks there are other options - including real contests for actual prizes that are much more exciting than the touristy versions.

I'd save the cash on either option and use it elsewhere - Ketchikan has ample free and dirt-cheap things to do with public buses and free shuttles, so save the $ from either choice and spend them somewhere else.

We leave this weekend for Alaska and our stop in Ketchikan is only 7am-1pm (not much time). This will be our 4th time in Ketchikan. First trip we went to the Misty Fjords - long trip with beautiful scenery. On the second visit, we walked around town and visited Creek Street (so quick and easy to fit in each trip). Last year, we booked a Bear Country & Wildlife tour thru the ship because we had OBC to use. We saw bears --- thru the pouring rain. It was an adventure.clear.png?emoji-eek-1725

Plenty of wildlife to see around town, too. When we were there a couple of weeks ago, walking to the Totem Heritage Center/Tribal fish hatchery, we saw a couple of deer in the IBEW parking lot calmly eating grass against a building. Going up the hill, we saw a bald eagle flying pretty low. And then when we passed the Indian Community Center, a large black bear came out of their steps about 75 feet away and crossed the street towards me. Thankfully it turned away after crossing and headed up the mountain - and I have 5he pictures to prove it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ketchikan is our first stop next summer (end of aug) on our cruise. I didn't plan much for this port, trying to cut costs :) figured it would be great to walk around and check out the totem poles, DIY, etc. But I was thinking about doing either the Town and Harbor Duck tour or the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show.... it'll be just DH and I, both in early 30's, and another couple, same age. Anyone have a preference of what they liked better? Or neither and save my $100 lol?

We were in AK two years ago. We actually did both the Duck Boat tour and the Lumber Jack Show. I enjoyed both, but if I had to select just one I would go with the Duck Boat Tour. You will learn about the city and get to see many sites. Ketchikan is the best port for shopping. The prices are cheaper here than other ports for same merchandise. I like the city and wish we were there longer when we return in 2018.

Just coming back from our cruise today. For Ketchikan, hubby and I saved our money on excursions. Did a hike on Rainbird trail where there were great views from above...it's moderately steep but not too bad. Then spent the rest of time walking around cute streets with shops and the lovely Creek Street

• 7 months later...

We doing Ketchikan in August with NCL Bliss. We too are struggling in our search for an excursion. The three that seem the most appealing (in no particular order)

Adventure Kart Expedition

Lumberjack and Crabs

Duck Tour

I have seen many mentions of making sure you go to Creek Street as well as AnnaBelles Chowder & Keg House.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I have experienced both the Duck Tour and Lumbar Jack show I agree ....both are cheesy This year we are going on a three hr tour with Tim White's Ketchikan Taxi Company ...adapts it to your interest Web go in June and will post a review

DH and I really like the Zodiac boat tour. Small groups, very one get a chance to drive their boat. The guide was excellent. We did the early morning tour; 7:30 am. Wonderful scenery and lots of info about how the people live in Ketchikan and Alaska.

Sent from my iPad using Forums