Is your Caribbean destination still open?

John99

Is your Caribbean cruise destination still open?

A port by port look -- after Irma & Maria by USA Today.

Article -- dated Thursday -- 09/21/1917.

Many sailings are being re-routed plus dozens of itinerary changes are in the works by all major cruise lines that could last for months.

Use link to access USA Today article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/21/your-caribbean-cruise-destination-still-open-port-by-port-look-after-irma-maria/685467001/

John

Many sailings are being re-routed plus dozens of itinerary changes are in the works by all major cruise lines that could last for months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2017/09/21/your-caribbean-cruise-destination-still-open-port-by-port-look-after-irma-maria/685467001/

John

Thank you very much for the link!

Very informative; thank you. I am planning on still going on my cruise in March, 2018. In my small way want to help with my tourist dollars just alittle bit. St. Thomas (which I was going to stay on the ship anyway) and the devastated island of Dominica are on my itinerary. I hope Dominica will be open then so I can spend some more dollars there and maybe give to some relief organization when I am there.

Pooh

John

John,

Thanks so very much for sharing. Our friends already canceled, but we are still going no matter what! We love sea days, so no problem for us.

Mary

Very informative; thank you. I am planning on still going on my cruise in March, 2018. In my small way want to help with my tourist dollars just a little bit. St. Thomas (which I was going to stay on the ship anyway) and the devastated island of Dominica are on my itinerary. I hope Dominica will be open then so I can spend some more dollars there and maybe give to some relief organization when I am there.

Pooh

We are also keeping our March 2018 Caribbean cruise. I agree that the tourist dollars are majorly important in those places. Anywhere we can still port will need the help and sea days are great too.

The islands that didn't receive damage are going to be mighty busy this season. :)

What will be interesting is when the ships get back from Europe and there are too many ships for what's open. I'm sure they'll move heaven and earth to get St. Thomas and Saint Maarten open. A lot of local jobs depend on it.

What will be interesting is when the ships get back from Europe and there are too many ships for what's open. I'm sure they'll move heaven and earth to get St. Thomas and Saint Maarten open. A lot of local jobs depend on it.

I'm sure they will but the damage in both islands seems to be far worse than any other hurricanes of the past. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt they have St Thomas shops open for the Christmas season even if the port has been cleared.

We shall see.

Hoping for the best.

I agree. I think St Thomas had capacity for at least six ships a day, perhaps a little less for St Martin, and both ports could accommodate the huge RCCL Oasis class ships. I can't imagine islands like St Kitts and St Croix can handle this much extra capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just received emails on our upcoming Caribbean :

Update on Caribbean Port Calls

All of us at Princess share your concerns about the affects the recent hurricanes had in the Caribbean. The islands are part of our community, and we are committed to supporting relief efforts there.

We know that your cruise vacation visits affected areas of the Caribbean, and we are working with local officials in these ports to assess the situation before determining if any changes are needed to your itinerary. Should any changes be necessary, we will let you know immediately and we assure you that we will do all we can to include similar Eastern Caribbean ports so your voyage will be just as enjoyable. We encourage you to continue with your plans until we know more.

Thank you for booking with Princess; we look forward to welcoming you on board.

For us we just want to be on the cruise..........even if it goes to nowhere!

Having our southern caribbean cruise changed from the southern caribbean to the eastern caribbean due to CB having propulsion problems, I wonder where I will cruise to now!!!

I won't be cancelling but do hope I get to see some islands, it's a long way to travel just for sea days!

Princess and every other cruise line that visits these port is trying to figure out what they are going to do. The ports that are open may all ready have enough ships there for certain days. They have to pick out the ports and see if there is room for their ships. There are a lot of ship/cruise lines trying to do the same thing as Princess is trying to do.

Princess and every other cruise line that visits these port is trying to figure out what they are going to do. The ports that are open may all ready have enough ships there for certain days. They have to pick out the ports and see if there is room for their ships. There are a lot of ship/cruise lines trying to do the same thing as Princess is trying to do.

My guess is that functioning cruise ports in the Caribbean are going to be very crowded, at least at the beginning of the season.