Crisis in Barcelona

stevenr597

My wife and I are scheduled to depart on the Royal Princess, Oct. 21, 2017, from Barcelona, touring Spain and then cruising to Ft. Lauderdale. The rise in terrorism in Europe including the attack several weeks ago in Barcelona has been some cause for concern. However, most recently the issue of independence for the State of Catalonia may also be a problem.

There is a referendum scheduled in Catalonia, including Barcelona on Oct.1, 2017. The Spanish government has stated that they will not allow the vote to take place, however the local government in Barcelona insists that it will.

We do wonder whether this will be a problem for cruise ships going to and from Barcelona.

My wife and I are scheduled to depart on the Royal Princess, Oct. 21, 2017, from Barcelona, touring Spain and then cruising to Ft. Lauderdale. The rise in terrorism in Europe including the attack several weeks ago in Barcelona has been some cause for concern. However, most recently the issue of independence for the State of Catalonia may also be a problem.

There is a referendum scheduled in Catalonia, including Barcelona on Oct.1, 2017. The Spanish government has stated that they will not allow the vote to take place, however the local government in Barcelona insists that it will.

We do wonder whether this will be a problem for cruise ships going to and from Barcelona.

Sorry what is the issue?

The referendum takes place 3 weeks before your cruise - relax. We Europeans are.

Annie

Crisis? IMO.......I don't think there will be any issues. We leave next Friday R/T, we get off when you get on.

We are not worried in the least. You probably need to wait until after the referendum before you declare crisis. :o

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Sorry - Not to add any fire to the subject..

BUT..I did just read this AM on one of the news services that the Spainish federal government has chartered a cruise ship to garrison additional federal forces that may be required to prevent the vote on Oct 1st and that the federal government once again firmly stated that they will not allow the vote to take place . The chartered cruise ship (unknown name) will be docked in the Barcelona cruise center starting next week..

Don't blame the messenger, I'm just posting what was on the news wire this AM

Srpilo

Sorry - Not to add any fire to the subject..

BUT..I did just read this AM on one of the news services that the Spainish federal government has chartered a cruise ship to garrison additional federal forces that may be required to prevent the vote on Oct 1st and that the federal government once again firmly stated that they will not allow the vote to take place . The chartered cruise ship (unknown name) will be docked in the Barcelona cruise center starting next week..

Don't blame the messenger, I'm just posting what was on the news wire this AM

Srpilo

I will send photos........of the firefight as we cruise out of the harbour.

I was in Barcelona a couple of years ago and the concern is valid in my opinion. We met several people who were offended when my wife spoke Spanish to them.

This dislike of Spain in very high in the Catalonia region and quite emotional for many.

If you saw the coverage after the terror attack, the large crowds were holding Catalonia flags - Not Spanish ones.

I'd keep an eye on how this develops. If Spanish troops are dispatched into the streets, I'm afraid at least limited violence is a possibility.

Crisis? IMO.......I don't think there will be any issues. We leave next Friday R/T, we get off when you get on.

We are not worried in the least. You probably need to wait until after the referendum before you declare crisis. :o

Agree. Why worry? :o

It's in God's hands whether you live or die. You may even die before, on, or after your cruise.

Relax and try to enjoy your cruise.:)

I will send photos........of the firefight as we cruise out of the harbour.

Having had a family home in Cataluna since the early 1960's I know how terrible the Spanish Civil War was and the citizens of Barcelona suffered very very badly when attacked by Franco and his Spanish and German fascist forces.

Really not anything to joke about.

I hope there are no deaths.

Crisis? I seriously doubt you'll even notice any unrest. Stuff happens everywhere. I've been in London right after 4 different terrorist attacks and by myself (a woman alone) two of those times. It's not a big deal. You just need to be aware of your surroundings in ANY country nowadays and not do stupid things.

Don't stand around in the middle of the sidewalk holding a map, don't go to the ATMs alone and don't let anyone "help" you. If you're in a large group, get out of it. Move to the side. Be aware of who is around you. If someone gets on the tube or a bus that looks "iffy", get off at the next stop. Don't carry a backpack on your back with your valuables in it unless it locks. If you feel someone walking right behind you, pull over to the side of the sidewalk and look them right in the eyes. Traveling is different than it's ever been before. Just adapt and don't do stupid things. ;)

We're also on the Royal after you disembark & arriving nearly 3 weeks after the scheduled referendum.

We're not worried but will keep informed & if things get dangerous that's why we have cancel for any reason travel insurance. I don't foresee that being necessary but wouldn't travel to a civil war zone.

Looking forward to reading about a great cruise on the Royal...wave as you disembark. ;p

I was in Barcelona a couple of years ago and the concern is valid in my opinion. We met several people who were offended when my wife spoke Spanish to them.

This dislike of Spain in very high in the Catalonia region and quite emotional for many.

If you saw the coverage after the terror attack, the large crowds were holding Catalonia flags - Not Spanish ones.

I'd keep an eye on how this develops. If Spanish troops are dispatched into the streets, I'm afraid at least limited violence is a possibility.

That is absolute rubbish. I lived and worked in Spain for over 20 years and speak Castellano and not Catalan. During the years I worked in Catalunya I never encountered a problem at all. In fact, they are pleased our have made the effort to learn the language.

A large proportion of the population are not Catalan speaking.

Yes, of course, you will see Catalan flags. The same as here in UK you will see welsh, Scottish, Cornish etc flags in addition to the Union Jack.

I would guess politican unrest would not be any worse than what we are seeing in my us cities today... I will be in Barcelona to take the Royal back to the usa..

I am going two days early... plan to stay away from main tourist areas... I have been to Barcelona many time, wonderful city.

If I see any unrest, will do like I do at home, go the other way.

We take taxis every where in Barcelona... easy to get around.

Having had a family home in Cataluna since the early 1960's I know how terrible the Spanish Civil War was and the citizens of Barcelona suffered very very badly when attacked by Franco and his Spanish and German fascist forces.

Really not anything to joke about.

I hope there are no deaths.

Oh please.........

Don't spin this around on me.

I am in and out of Barcelona a lot.

My opinion is I am not worried. It's very simple.

Your cruise is almost 3 weeks after the election. Plenty of time for Princess Cruises to assess the current political climate and then to make any alternative arrangements, as required.

Just make sure your emergency and email contacts are updated on your cruise personalizer. That way you can be alerted via text or email.

No it will not be a problem. Don't know what the papers are saying over on your side of the pond, but why do you even think there will be a problem?

The Catalonian Independence movement is committed to achieving its objective by peaceful means.

Only issue will be if the police decide to get violent with those people who turn up to vote in what the Spanish Gov't has declared to be an illegal referendum.

These forces are being brought to stop people from voting not to prevent rioting etc.

Nobody will trouble visitors unless you try to vote.

As others have said this is all 3 weeks before you arrive and any confrontation between the authorities and those wishing to vote will cease as soon as the polls close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No it will not be a problem. Don't know what the papers are saying over on your side of the pond, but why do you even think there will be a problem?

The Catalonian Independence movement is committed to achieving its objective by peaceful means.

Only issue will be if the police decide to get violent with those people who turn up to vote in what the Spanish Gov't has declared to be an illegal referendum.

These forces are being brought to stop people from voting not to prevent rioting etc.

Nobody will trouble visitors unless you try to vote.

As others have said this is all 3 weeks before you arrive and any confrontation between the authorities and those wishing to vote will cease as soon as the polls close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, then I just have to ask. DD is disembarking on Sep 30th from the Royal and spending a couple of nights in Barcelona. Other than the typical precautions, any advice that I should send her way? I have to admit, none of us considered or knew about this issue.

TIA

Well, then I just have to ask. DD is disembarking on Sep 30th from the Royal and spending a couple of nights in Barcelona. Other than the typical precautions, any advice that I should send her way? I have to admit, none of us considered or knew about this issue.

TIA

Only advice I would give her is to enjoy herself.

Really can't understand why:

a) any of you are at all worried

and

b) why folks jumped on LondonTower when he expressed incredulity at the scaremongering posted in this thread.

Only advice I would give her is to enjoy herself.

Really can't understand why:

a) any of you are at all worried

and

b) why folks jumped on LondonTower when he expressed incredulity at the scaremongering posted in this thread.

I typically agree with your perspective. However, I didn't hear about the "election" elsewhere. I see fear-mongering in so many places. We have enough real issues to deal with without exaggerating more. See it all the time.

Thanks!

The article in respect to the elections has appeared in several newspapers in the United States. It said that over 10,000 people turned out in a demonstration to support the election. However the Spanish Government has said that they will not permit any election to be held and will arrest individuals who try to go foward with any type of election or referendum. They have stated if necessary they will move troops into the area.

The reason for this blog was to get comments in respect to individuals who are cruising out of Barcelona on Princess.

TIA

Yes, I have a few tips. Remind her to be aware of her surroundings and don't let any guys pick her (and her friends) up while in BCN. If guys follow them to their hotel, make sure she knows to go to another hotel and walk right in and ask for the police. People love to say they want to "help" you but it's usually a ploy. Sorry to sound so cynical but I know quite a few people who have been taken to the cleaners in BCN. If she sees any protests there, tell her to go another way, even if it's not the direction she wants to go. And most of all, try to relax, have fun and enjoy the amazing city that BCN is. :)

We are going to be in Barcelona for New Year's Eve and 5 days pre-cruise. Then a 10 day cruise to the Canary Islands. Can't wait. Barcelona is terrific. I think everything will be fine. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Paul

Yes, I have a few tips. Remind her to be aware of her surroundings and don't let any guys pick her (and her friends) up while in BCN. If guys follow them to their hotel, make sure she knows to go to another hotel and walk right in and ask for the police. People love to say they want to "help" you but it's usually a ploy. Sorry to sound so cynical but I know quite a few people who have been taken to the cleaners in BCN. If she sees any protests there, tell her to go another way, even if it's not the direction she wants to go. And most of all, try to relax, have fun and enjoy the amazing city that BCN is. :)

Thanks... this is likely great advice for anyone. Full disclosure, she's on her honeymoon:D. Her husband and she are pretty savvy. But, if there is a large military presence, there typically is a reason. Here's hoping that things go pretty smooth. They'll have most of Sat and all of Sunday (1st) to explore with flying back on Monday. Safe travels to all!

The article in respect to the elections has appeared in several newspapers in the United States. It said that over 10,000 people turned out in a demonstration to support the election. However the Spanish Government has said that they will not permit any election to be held and will arrest individuals who try to go foward with any type of election or referendum. They have stated if necessary they will move troops into the area.

The reason for this blog was to get comments in respect to individuals who are cruising out of Barcelona on Princess.

Ok, now understand what started this thread, but let's get this into perspective. 10,000 people is NOT a large demonstration, particularly when organised by a group which is committed to peaceful protest.

Think of it this way.

1. Miami Dolphins stadium holds more than 60,000. It would seem almost empty if only 10,000 folks turned up.

2. Think of 100 people standing side by side and 100 rows deep and you will have some idea of the size of the demonstration.