Live from Regal Princess 9/23/17

cruiserking

Hello All,

Our second cruise on board this beautiful ship, did the same New England/Canada run last year.

Absolutely gorgeous, picture perfect day here in New York. Brilliant blue sky with a gleaming white ship resplendant in her new cobalt blue Sea Witch livery which I really like.

We are booked in a Club Class Mini-Suite forward with huge balcony, same as last year. A bevy of Cruise Critics will join us there for Sail Away, should be grand. Eager to see how this cabin class pans out.

One nice perk right off the bat; Club Class gets you entrance into the Priority waiting lounge with coffee, decaf, hot tea and a nice selection if pastries, pain au chocolat and mini-muffins.

It took us about 20 minutes to the pier from the upper east side by car.

Excitement is palpable as ever. Terminal is all a buzz with embarkation day euphoria.

Will post daily from on board, will try to post pictures, but, will definitely add upon return if the on board wifi is sluggish.

11:45 am and still waiting to board. At least the MDR will be open for lunch soon, looking forward to a nice lunch at Concerto Dining Room.

Speak to you next from on board the elegant Regal Princess!

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Have a nice trip! It is very warm and sunny right now in Quebec!!

We have reserve a club class mini suite on the Lido deck, at the front of the ship for our next trip in march... can't wait to read your review of those rooms...

On our last trip on the regal, we had the mini suite in the middle of the ship but didn't really enjoy the balcony ...

At what time did you get to the port?

Bon Voyage! I'll be following along and looking forward to your live updates. DH and I will be sailing this itinerary in 2 weeks! I'm getting so excited about our cruise.

Would be interested in how you like the forward mini suite and if you feel a lot of rocking from that cabin.

Thank you for posting live!

Have a nice trip! It is very warm and sunny right now in Quebec!!

We have reserve a club class mini suite on the Lido deck, at the front of the ship for our next trip in march... can't wait to read your review of those rooms...

On our last trip on the regal, we had the mini suite in the middle of the ship but didn't really enjoy the balcony ...

At what time did you get to the port?

Thank You Frenchymp. We arrived at port at 10:20 am. Check-in began around 10:30. VIP boarding started at 11:49 am for Club Class, Suites and Captains Circle.

Jonathan

Have a great time.....we will board her next month....our favorite ship.

We were in M107 on a past cruise before Club class and if this is your cabin you are in for a treat.

Looking forward to your posts.

Thank You Cruiser113. Yes, we are in M107 same as last year, our favorite cabin ever on a ship.

Will be curious how many people fit on the balcony. Last year I figured maybe 70. About 56 said they coming by.

Jonathan

Cruiserking .......absolutely love that cabin and we had the best cabin steward ever.

If you get a chance can you post names of the bar staff in Vines? Some of our favorite staff are Laurentiu (Romania) and Grace (Philippines)

Favorite port is Nova Scotia and a trip to Peggy's Cove.

Lunch at Concerto

Delicious. We were the first to arrive at this splendid dining room, my favorite on board.

We were seated by the window with a stunning view of the cruise Terminal roof. But, every view is magnicent when you're on board a ship.

Appetizer of salami and roast vegetables was a savory delight. Our waiter Mark took great care of us.

My wife Elene raved over the bacon, cheeseburger. My spinach ravioli was very tasty.

In order to get into cruise dessert mode I ordered the orange souffle, don't miss it, velvelty, light and cloaked in a cream sauce. I love cruising.

I had read on Cruise Critic that passengers are sometimes dissuaded from entering this dining room at embarkation lunch. This was not our experience probably since we were the first to arrive.

During lunch we signed up for the Maitre D' Wine Club Tasting at 3:30 pm during the St John, New Brunswick port stop, $25 per person.

This works well as we've been to Saint John several times before and were planning to stay on board.

The tasting includes six wines plus a pairing of chocolate. Looking forward to it.

Cabin M107

As glorious as we remember, roomy, comfortable and that fabulous deck wing balcony spanning over the sea.

Club Class upgrade has improved the deck furniture with a pair of cushioned, wooden chaise lounges. There is also an oval table and chairs we remember from last year.

At least one benefit of the forward cabin is that epic trek back helps to work off at least two spoonfuls of orange souffle. ;)

If you're a smoker deck 17 aft is a lovely place to relax. Plenty of shade, expansive view of lower Manhattan sparkling on the horizon. A bouquet of steel, glass and concrete looming majestically from our port stern.

Just soaking up this gorgeous weather. Spirits are high on board the Regal Princess.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Have a great cruise and keep us updated. We're going to be sailing on the Regal in February for our first time so we're anxious to hear reviews.

Thank You Sacto Rick. You will adore this ship, she is a class act. I plan on posting frequently, stay tuned.

Jonathan

Could not have a more beautiful day to sail away! Have a wonderful cruise.

Can you tell me what time cabins are ready?

I will be asking many questions, as we sail the NY to FLL repo next month. :D

Hi Janetz,

Cabins were ready at 1 pm. Lunch in the Concerto Dining room deck 6 mid ship is at noon, works out perfectly.

Jonathan

If you're a smoker deck 17 aft is a lovely place to relax. Plenty of shade, expansive view of lower Manhattan sparkling on the horizon. A bouquet of steel, glass and concrete looming majestically from our port stern.

Just soaking up this gorgeous weather. Spirits are high on board the Regal Princess.

Jonathan

I just watched your sailaway Jonathon and you had great weather for it! Thanks for the smoking tip on deck 17 aft. I am in an aft cabin in 3 weeks from today and will be popping up for a Guinness and a puff.

Have great cruise!

Best wishes,

Norris

Sail Away

Our Cruise Critic Sail Away was a big success. If you book M107 it has that massive bridge balcony, we had around 45 or 50 people and we could easily have fit about 30 or 40 more.

Regal slipped her ties about 5:10 as the Love Boat theme blasted bringing smiles to all. We eased into the Buttermilk Channel and cruised past Lady Liberty, under the mighty Verrazano Narrows Bridge and out to sea.

The weather was spectacular, brilliant sunshine, bright blue skies. We passed a cavalcade of cruisers, freighters and the Staten Island Ferry.

A duo of New York Police copters buzzed by almost level with our deck, it was rather exciting.

We have a wonderful bunch of Cruise Critics on board and had great fun chatting with them all. We pre-ordered canapes, veggies and dip, a cheese platter and toted a couple of bottles of Prosecco and we had ourselves a party.

A private Cruise Critic Sail Away party, Slot Pull or Cabin Crawl are always so much fun and the best way to meet the folks you've been chatting away with for months on the boards.

Club Class Dinner

We love Club Class. Princess may be a hair late to the mini-suite perk parade, but, so far so good.

We entered on the starboard side of the Concerto Dining Room. Once our cards were checked we were seated at two top by the window.

The Head Chef stopped to tell us about the special Garlic Shrimp dish, available as an entree or appetizer. We enjoyed this succulent dish as a main course. The shrimp was tender and very tasty.

We both enjoyed the Pina Colada chilled soup infused with rum and served in a hurricane glass and sipped with a straw, sublime.

Lofti our Head Waiter from Tunisia came over and introduced himself, a friendly chap. Ana Maria delivered excellent service.

Club Class is a separate dinning area, quiet, intimate and comfortable.

The seas are a tad choppy as we steam for Newport. Looking forward to exploring the town tomorrow.

Having a great time on board.

Thanks for following along.

More Later...Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I just watched your sailaway Jonathon and you had great weather for it! Thanks for the smoking tip on deck 17 aft. I am in an aft cabin in 3 weeks from today and will be popping up for a Guinness and a puff.

Have great cruise!

Best wishes,

Norris

My pleasure Bimmer09. It's a lovely, relaxing spot. There is coffee and tea nearby and waiters stop by frequently to take your drink orders. Enjoy your puff and your cruise.

Jonathan

Norris, be joining you for a puff but I am cheap and favoring Swisher Sweet Cherry Cigarillos.

See you in 3 weeks.:whiskey-glass:

Ron, sounds like those cherry smokes would put out a nice aroma! I used to smoke Gauloises Disque Bleu cigarettes during my "French period" and they smelled like a burning mattress. Zut alors! I welcome cigar smells as they help mask the ship's diesel fragrances.

See you onboard!

Norris, Boarding Pass and Luggage tags printed