Future of sip and sail considering new AIBP price

NoWhiners

Hi all

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on S&S now that the bev package has increased in price? We have only been following Princess for a few years, but I think I have seen S&S offered every year around the same time but since we are new, I don't have the historical perspective many of you have.

I can see a few options: the price of the package not really making any difference to S&S being offered since they are 2 separate things, the cruise price will be bumped a bit to allow for 'free' bev package (yes, I understand that the cost of the package may already be baked into the cost of the cruise), maybe S&S is offered for a shorter time or on fewer cruises. Likely there are other options too.

I know no one can predict the future with any certainty and that is not my question. I would like to hear what more experienced Princess cruisers think could/might happen, based on their past history with Princess.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts

ML

I think enough people will buy it at the increased price to make it profitable for Princess to leave it at that (until they raise it again) and keep selling it.

Yes, I think this makes the most sense, but I'm not in charge :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

ML

Our personal preference would be for Princess to offer bookings with/without promos as does Holland. For example, if Holland offers bookings with AIBP, you can ask for the price without that promo. There is no such thing as a free lunch (or free beverages). We like the option of booking without the "free stuff".

Rather than a reduced price, Princess offers OBC instead of the now "Premium" Beverage Package. The package is no longer "All Inclusive" because items such as canned sodas and bottles of water greater than 500ml are no longer included. Pricing for the Sip n Sail varies with demand. The maximum OBC offered is $250 so we elected the Sip n Sail for our 28 day cruise next year. That cruise was booked before the Sip n Sail promotion but we were able to add the package for no increase in cost. The "value" of that package is now over $3,900 for the two of us. We gave up the chance for $500 OBC but will probably save significantly more than that with the P.B.P. Over 28 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our personal preference would be for Princess to offer bookings with/without promos as does Holland. For example, if Holland offers bookings with AIBP, you can ask for the price without that promo. There is no such thing as a free lunch (or free beverages). We like the option of booking without the "free stuff".

This is a good perspective. As I think about it, I guess anyone who didn't want the bev package could take (less) OBC but that isn't the same value.

Rather than a reduced price, Princess offers OBC instead of the now "Premium" Beverage Package. The package is no longer "All Inclusive" because items such as canned sodas and bottles of water greater than 500ml are no longer included. Pricing for the Sip n Sail varies with demand. The maximum OBC offered is $250 so we elected the Sip n Sail for our 28 day cruise next year. That cruise was booked before the Sip n Sail promotion but we were able to add the package for no increase in cost. The "value" of that package is now over $3,900 for the two of us. We gave up the chance for $500 OBC but will probably save significantly more than that with the P.B.P. Over 28 days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good point about it not being AI anymore, but "Premium".

We are in the same boat :D so to speak. We booked our cruise just before S&S and added it because we thought it would be great to have for 27 days. From what I have read, we can keep the bev package but under the new rules. Weird about the 500 ml bottles of water, I'd love to know the logic of that. I mean--you can get 2 smaller bottles and still have the same amount of water. I think the smaller ones are 250 ml but maybe not. I guess canned sodas are more expensive but it was nice to get a couple of unopened cans for the room.

ML

This is a good perspective. As I think about it, I guess anyone who didn't want the bev package could take (less) OBC but that isn't the same value.

Good point about it not being AI anymore, but "Premium".

We are in the same boat :D so to speak. We booked our cruise just before S&S and added it because we thought it would be great to have for 27 days. From what I have read, we can keep the bev package but under the new rules. Weird about the 500 ml bottles of water, I'd love to know the logic of that. I mean--you can get 2 smaller bottles and still have the same amount of water. I think the smaller ones are 250 ml but maybe not. I guess canned sodas are more expensive but it was nice to get a couple of unopened cans for the room.

ML

Cansof soda, even in the quantity they buy probably around 30 cents a can at cost ( plus storage costs) gun soda about 2 cents a cup and as they only store the concentrate way less to store.

I think I am now getting that the issue some people have with the water is the 'availability' of smaller bottles of the premium waters?

Can you experts give us the details on this.

I suppose I can handle tap soda instead of canned soda... But, in the Caribbean, this means no soda included on Princess Cays?

Hi ML (nowhiners)

As far as pricing, and how much might be 'baked into' the cost of a cruise with S&S. It might vary greatly, But, if I am remembering correctly. If I were to compare the 'sale' prices of a cruise later this year, with the price of the cruise including S&S for next year... In our case, the difference would be similar to the OBC offered. It would have come out fairly even in price... It would have cost more, however, to book at the lower pricing, and then pay the (expensive) full price to purchase the package.

I have read of cases, here in these current threads, where some people have saved a lot without the S&S.

So, it is probably a case by case thing.

We have never sailed with the AIBP, We have booked with the promo, and are looking forward, this time, to the unlimited and convenience factors. No way would it ever benefit us, or come out ahead, to actually purchase this package.

IMHO: Increases happen... But, to me, to increase the price while simultaneously limiting the benefits... WOW.... nice job Princess. NICE...

: (

Gotta hand it to them... they got some cajones!

Cansof soda, even in the quantity they buy probably around 30 cents a can at cost ( plus storage costs) gun soda about 2 cents a cup and as they only store the concentrate way less to store.

Hi Gut

Nice to see you on this thread (no footy involved) :D

I didn't think about the concentrate, so that does make a big difference. I guess DH will have to buy a couple of cokes or maybe carry a 6-pack onboard (but we hate doing that).

I hope you're right that S&S will still be a good deal.

ML

Hi ML (nowhiners)

As far as pricing, and how much might be 'baked into' the cost of a cruise with S&S. It might vary greatly, But, if I am remembering correctly. If I were to compare the 'sale' prices of a cruise later this year, with the price of the cruise including S&S for next year... In our case, the difference would be similar to the OBC offered. It would have come out fairly even in price... It would have cost more, however, to book at the lower pricing, and then pay the (expensive) full price to purchase the package.

I have read of cases, here in these current threads, where some people have saved a lot without the S&S.

So, it is probably a case by case thing.

We have never sailed with the AIBP, We have booked with the promo, and are looking forward, this time, to the unlimited and convenience factors. No way would it ever benefit us, or come out ahead, to actually purchase this package.

IMHO: Increases happen... But, to me, to increase the price while simultaneously limiting the benefits... WOW.... nice job Princess. NICE...

: (

Gotta hand it to them... they got some cajones!

Agree with all your points. We thought our 27 day cruise was priced OK without S&S, so it was easy to take the S&S. We did have to upgrade to a different category (I still don't know why) but it only added a total of $160 to the cost, got a much better obstructed view cabin, and the drink package.

But I read that others already got better deals, didn't drink (and the OBC is sort of small), and some found that 3 for free worked out better for them.

This is the first time we will have the drink package on Princess and we would never just buy it. With the recent "improvements" it is doubtful we would ever purchase it separately. If we cruise with Princess again, we would keep an eye out for S&S and see if it works.

Yes, it is quite low of them to make this huge change, increasing costs and reducing benefits, and spring it on us so suddenly. I wonder what marketing genius thought this was a good idea? And if it will work out, or if they have to back off a bit. Should be interesting to watch.

ML

Bearing in mind here in the UK we are never offered the sip and sail pass, the fact that Princess may consider increasing cruise price, would certainly impact on us.

Ah yes, I forget that the prices aren't the same for the rest of the world :) On the Australia/NZ thread they are quite up in arms over the huge increase in cost. I don't blame them at all--it is like a 30% change for them.

I can't figure out why S&S isn't offered in the UK--is it a legal thing? (I know the rules are a bit different there, like for deposits that are non-refundable)

But raising cruise prices across the board to cover drink packages seems wrong, since not everyone drinks. It will be interesting to see what happens.

ML

We Aussies don't get Sip and Sail on any Princess ship, in OZ or overseas.

Discrimination, nor do we get auto tips paid by our T/A's nor do we get the big OBC.

Princess looks after its mass market - North America.

Also on Sun Princess and Sea Princess permanently based in Australia there is no Elite/Suite lounge. Princess says 'There is no room on the Sun Class ships for that activity. So we good customers miss out there too.:evilsmile:

Anyone got a hanky? :loudcry:

Discrimination, nor do we get auto tips paid by our T/A's nor do we get the big OBC.

Also on Sun Princess and Sea Princess permanently based in Australia there is no Elite/Suite lounge. Princess says 'There is no room on the Sun Class ships for that activity. So we good customers miss out there too.:evilsmile:

Don't feel too bad. We have to put up with US politicians. (I don't like any of them!) By comparison the slights that Princess may hand you are negligible.

Don't feel too bad. We have to put up with US politicians. (I don't like any of them!) By comparison the slights that Princess may hand you are negligible.

Send Uncle Donald T over then, you can have ours.:p Sorry no politics on CC.:mad:

As for AIBP don't know why I am posting on it, no interest, not of value to me/us.

Here you go 🤧! Do you need a hug too??

LOL--you guys crack me up! Have to laugh or we will go nuts ;)

ML

Here you go ! Do you need a hug too??

LOL--you guys crack me up! Have to laugh or we will go nuts ;)

ML

No hug, just a big hanky and a pint of icy cold lager, maybe a Molson's, that will do the trick, lol.:eek: