Thanks for Self Driving and Restaurant Suggestions

alwaysfrantic

I have returned from my drive to Alaska and it was absolutely amazing. The scenery around ever turn was breathtaking. Thanks to whoever recommended Klondike Rib in Whitehorse. It was a fun little place. I actually loved that city.

We dove the whole Alcan, actually the whole way from the east coast, so I am happy to help any way I can if anyone wants to plan the trip themselves. It was a true adventure. BC was beautiful, we saw Banff and Jasper, the Icefields, stayed in an off the grid resort in BC, took pictures at the start of the highway in Dawson Creek, and loved every minute of it.

Ate at a couple of favorites in Anchorage from the summer, Snow City and Glacier Brewhouse. Tried 49th State Brewing and it was a great setting.

Trip of a lifetime.

10 nights traveling and 3 in Anchorage.

I did make reservations; too afraid not to. I was with my son so I had to have a 2 bedded room. I *think* I’d have been okay without them in September; but I’m pretty picky so it was good. I did see a number of No Vacancy signs along the road. Encountered 2 gas stations already closed for the season.

After driving it, particularly the southern end of the Rockies in BC, I don’t know how ANYONE could drive it in winter. The hills were a little terrifying on dry pavement in fall.

Highly recommend Caribou Cabins in Tok. Super cute. And I was not familiar with the Pomeroy chain in Canada but it surpassed my expectation at a stop in Canada.

The restaurant I mentioned in Whitehorse closed for the season yesterday. It was packed with a line a week ago. It is a seasonal economy.

After driving it, particularly the southern end of the Rockies in BC, I don’t know how ANYONE could drive it in winter. The hills were a little terrifying on dry pavement in fall.

My father-in-law drives for Carlile and does the Anchorage to Tacoma run each week all year long... And the six times I've driven it I've done them all in the winter. So it's doable. Luckily I did the bad areas in the dark and so I couldn't see enough to be scared.