Accommodation questions if going to Denali by Train/Bus

Louand66

Hi,

I was hoping to drive to Denali but OH has now got me to look into going by train/bus and see how this work.

I have all the bus and train details but wondered how you would get from Denali Park to your accommodation and what accommodation is available to you if you take a bus, as opposed to a car when you can get around independently.

So I guess my questions are:

Can you easily get to accommodation from Denali Park.

What kind of transport is available for this and how often does it run.

Given the constants of not having a car does anybody recommend anywhere specific budget sort of prices near/in Denali.

Many thanks as always.

Lou

Both bus routes stop in Talkeetna, which is the halfway point between Anc and Denali, so at 2 1/2 hrs into the drive.

Are you taking the Park to Park or Denali Express ? look at the different routes for more information. http://www.alaskacoach.com/routes/

Better yet, email them info@alaskacoach.com

The web site also indicates the hotels where the buses stop in Denali.

http://www.alaskacoach.com/routes/anchorage-denali.html

Keep in mind that the main cluster of hotels is about 1 1/2 mile from the Park Entrance. So you will need to find out if your hotel offers a shuttle to/from the park, otherwise you can catch the shuttle at Princess lodge for $10, or use the Salmon Bake shuttle, or walk if the weather cooperates.

There's a B&B, the Dome Home, that offers a rental car for guests. And there's a very expensive taxi.

Check the hotel listing in the Chamber of Commerce to see which hotels offer a shuttle: http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

Edited by mapleleaves

use googlemaps to get an idea of the area I'm talking about. For an address, use George Parks Hwy, Mile 238.5

You'll see the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge on the left of the hwy. (Click on 'nearby' and select HOTELS to see other hotels nearby. ) Across the street is the strip mall where there are restaurants and shops.

It's about a 30 minute walk or 1 1/2 miles from the Princess Lodge to the Wilderness Access Center (WAC) inside the park, which is where you board the tour/shuttle buses. So looking at the map, go south from the Princess Lodge, cross a large bridge over the Nenena River and you'll reach the access road to the park. (if you walk, take the Jonesville trail just after crossing the Bridge to cut 1/2 mile off)

If you zoom in you'll see the train depot, which is between the airport runway and the Denali Visitor Center.

And you''l see the WAC where the buses load.

We went to Denali in August using the Alaska Railroad, and we couldn't have been happier with our trip or the hotels that the railroad booked for us in both Anchorage and Denali.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Ship Creek in Anchorage. The hotel has excellent shuttle service from/to the airport and from/to the hotel to the train station.

Our hotel in Denali was the Grande Denali Lodge. When the train arrived at the Denali train station, we were met by several buses that took people to their hotels. The majority of train passengers seemed to have been booked into either the Grande Denali Lodge or Denali Bluffs Hotel. Both hotels are near the Park's entrance. Luggage was checked through from Anchorage directly to our hotel in Denali.

The Grande Denali Lodge and the Denali Bluffs Hotel both have frequent shuttle service into the Park. We used the shuttle to get to the Wilderness Activities Center to catch one of the green shuttles. I believe the hotels' shuttle also goes to the Visitor's Center. It also goes to Downtown Denali, sometimes called "Glitter Gulch."

The Grande Denali Lodge is amazing. It is perched high on a hill overlooking the Park. It has a huge restaurant, a bar, a lounge area that has a separate menu, a coffee cart, and they will prepare bag lunches for your Park tour.

Hope this helps with your planning. Let me know if you have any questions.