Kenai Fjords Tour

shadowmeboy

The DW and I plus two friends are arriving into Seward on the NCL Jewel next June. Last time in Seward we explored town and went to the Sealife Center. We want to do a Kenai Fjords tour this time.

We are traveling to Anchorage on the Train that night from Seward.

I have looked at info from both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours. A few questions:

Which is preferable?

Do they have a good track record of getting customers to the train?

Do they have baggage storage?

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated!

Both will store your luggage.

You can also drop your luggage at the train depot but I don't believe it opens until 9am. Email to verify hrs.

It's only a 5 minute walk from the vendor offices to the depot.

Major Marine has a park ranger on board and reserved seating.

If the meal is important to you ... check out the offerings.

When we were on Major Marine's boat for the 7.5 hour tour, they asked at the beginning for passengers taking the train that evening to let them know so they could be sure of having enough transportation ready.

I chose them because I liked having reserved seats and the option of lunch on board, rather than going to Fox island for it.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Watch the vendor web sites for special pricing, as well as groupons, and both coupon books. A 2 for 1, or 25% off might sway your opinion!

(the coupon books are usually out mid nov)

Marine Major has 10% AAA discounts right now for next year. We booked early to get our choice of table.

Things that swayed my opinion in choosing the 10 am two glacier National Park tours on both lines were:

1. Kenai Fjords Tours included dinner at Fox Island. Marine Major just gets you back at 5:30.
  2. Marine Major has a national park ranger on board to narrate the cruise. Kenai Fjords does not.
  3. Marine Major lets you reserve tables with advantage going to early bookers.

Our preference was to get dinner on the harbor and not a buffet at the lodge. Marine Major has a lunch buffet. That's good enough on that end

I have read positive things about both companies. We would have been happy with either choice. Our cruise ends in Seward and we are spending a couple of days there and staying right at Harbor 36 Hotel. The 10 am time give us time to check our luggage at the hotel after a casual self disembarkation. We'll relax after the National Park glacier cruise and then go to Chinooks or Rays and then head back to the hotel for another day in Seward.

For clairfication- There are 2 tours per day with Kenai Fjords tours, that do not go to Fox Island, and are very similar to the Park tour of Major Marine. the above posts don't note that fact.

Both vendors are very well run long established companies. Both have very comfortable boats and staff. Both store luggage and and have success with the train link.

I'd also suggest just dropping off bags at the train depot before tours. I didn't take the train this year, but in the past, id was required for each ticket pick up and don't this in the morning saves time.

For clairfication- There are 2 tours per day with Kenai Fjords tours, that do not go to Fox Island, and are very similar to the Park tour of Major Marine. the above posts don't note that fact.

Both vendors are very well run long established companies. Both have very comfortable boats and staff. Both store luggage and and have success with the train link.

I'd also suggest just dropping off bags at the train depot before tours. I didn't take the train this year, but in the past, id was required for each ticket pick up and don't this in the morning saves time.

There are two other tours from Kenia Fjords Tours as well as others from Major Marine. From what I am reading, the others are shorter and only go to one tidewater glacier as opposed to two which go deeper in. That's why I noted in my post that both do the two tidewater glacier tours at 10 am. We chose between those two. The six hour tours go 100 miles round trip and the seven and half hour tours go 120 miles round trip. I was trying to compare apples to apples. If I am wrong on this, please correct me.

There are two other tours from Kenia Fjords Tours as well as others from Major Marine. From what I am reading, the others are shorter and only go to one tidewater glacier as opposed to two which go deeper in. That's why I noted in my post that both do the two tidewater glacier tours at 10 am. We chose between those two. The six hour tours go 100 miles round trip and the seven and half hour tours go 120 miles round trip. I was trying to compare apples to apples. If I am wrong on this, please correct me.

Just some added details are what I posted. It could be assumed that Kenai Fjords tours didn't have the non Fox option.

Sure seeing both Aialik and Holgate is a bonus but, a lot of people take the 6 hour tours so wanted to compare the similarities. However Aialik Bay isn't an end all in a trip selection. The 2 glaciers are close together with a lot of stall time at each. On average Aialik is more active and stable. Holgate is in significant receed.

We took the Kenai Fjords 6-hour tour and enjoyed it very much but I had wanted to go with Major Marine. We were there early and got the very last window seat on the lower level--it would have been nice to have an assigned window seat as we booked way in advance, as my father in-law stayed inside the whole time. Luckily, he had a great view. Also although our captain was knowledgeable, he sounded a little bored at times. The native Alaskan they had on board however was wonderful as was the crew.

Also Kenai Fjords does not provide binoculars while MM does. Also I would have loved a martini made with glacier ice which MM includes. :) In the end, my whole family loved the tour with Kenai Fjords, it was definitely a highlight, but some little things could have made it even better. I also believe we could have gotten a Cyber Monday deal and we could have definitely used AAA as I am a member for some savings had we known about it.

Yes, Kenai Fjords has a sandwich lunch on board for several of its cruises. What I liked was that Major Marine had the option of having salmon on board rather than at a Fox island stop. Also I wanted the longer tour.

Some others prefer having the buffet on land as Kenai Fjords does.

I booked in January and Major Marine had an early booking special at the time.

The times vary between the two operators for some tours and that may make a difference to some. Both have a 6 hour tour timed to work with arriving and departing on the train, but their other times vary.

Kenai Fjords has thei 2018 info up for some tours.but the online booking doesn't work yet. Major Marine is still showing 2017 info.

I'll be in Seward mid-May next year. Some of the tours don't start until late May or early June.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Edited by new_cruiser