What beach do I go to this time around??

mitsugirly

So we have been to Reggae Beach at Cockleshell beach. We have also been to Carambola at South Friars Beach.

Do we have any other options to explore that anyone could recommend? Not really wanting to go back to Cockelshell and "if" we go back to South Friars, we would definitely head to Discovery Beach this time. But...wondering if I'm missing out on any other opportunities to discover a new area.

Let me know what you got. :D

So we have been to Reggae Beach at Cockleshell beach. We have also been to Carambola at South Friars Beach.

Do we have any other options to explore that anyone could recommend? Not really wanting to go back to Cockelshell and "if" we go back to South Friars, we would definitely head to Discovery Beach this time. But...wondering if I'm missing out on any other opportunities to discover a new area.

Have three special places on St Kitts, but not wishing to share, because once posted on CC, within months, it will be full of Herds. It ceased then to be special.

May one suggest to all on CC not to post their favourite "quiet" places on St Kitts (or any other Island) keeping them secure from an infestation.

Carambola is a prime example.

Have in the past posted in favour of "Sunshine's", this was one's last recommendation, for discerning cruisers who previously enjoyed the ambience of Carambola, pre Herds.

Hey there!

From what I've been able to tell here on the CC boards, there are three main beaches that are decent for swimming/snorkeling on St. Kitts: Cockleshell Beach; South Friars (Carambola, Discovery, Shipwreck); and Frigate Bay (closest to the port). We've never been to Frigate Bay, so I can't comment. I know there's a beach at the Marriott on the other side of the island, on the Atlantic coast, but the water tends to be rougher there. There's also Nevis and I think tours are offered through the cruiseline. You can go on your own, but I've seen it mentioned here it's better to go with a ship tour because the timing of the water taxi (ferry) to/from Nevis isn't always reliable. I think one of the excursions through the cruiseline is a catamaran that stops for snorkeling at a few spots, then heads to a beach in Nevis for a while, then back to St. Kitts.

According to "Google Earth", there appear to be a few other beaches but I don't recall seeing them mentioned here on CC so I don't know anything about them or what they may offer in terms of loungers and other amenities. They are Major's Bay (appears to be between South Friars and Cockleshell); Banana Bay (right next to Cockleshell); and Turtle Beach (near Cockleshell as well, but on opposite side of Banana Bay).

Have three special places on St Kitts, but not wishing to share, because once posted on CC, within months, it will be full of Herds. It ceased then to be special.

May one suggest to all on CC not to post their favourite "quiet" places on St Kitts (or any other Island) keeping them secure from an infestation.

Carambola is a prime example.

Have in the past posted in favour of "Sunshine's", this was one's last recommendation, for discerning cruisers who previously enjoyed the ambience of Carambola, pre Herds.

Hmm, I'm not really sure how to respond to this. I ask for suggestions for a new place for us to go and you respond by telling me you won't tell. :o

As for people not suggesting places to go to others on cc...isn't that what we are here for? At least that's why I'm here. This is a community to share information, get ideas, suggestions, and report experiences. That's why I first came to CC and that's the reason I remain on these boards. So many people have helped me out with suggestions and I would like to think that I have returned the favor and helped people out as well. That's why we pull together as a cruising community...to help others out. ;) If you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in St Kitts, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

Cruise Critic, although there are thousands and thousands of people on here, is only a minuscule amount of people that cruise yearly. Most people have not even heard of this community, therefore usually taking ship sponsored tours or going places that friends have suggested or from land vacations. As the industry continues to grow, so with the amount of people that herd the ports...sooner or later, word gets out about those "quiet" places (or the businesses at these places want to draw more business and advertise more on social media/in port/websites, pay cabbies to take people there and so on). But I hardly doubt that suggesting favorite places on cc is going to overrun a place...365 days of the year to cruise and many, many islands to explore...I will continue to share my experiences with others in hope that they also have an enjoyable day at a beautiful beach...because that's why I'm a part of this cc community. :)

Hey there!

From what I've been able to tell here on the CC boards, there are three main beaches that are decent for swimming/snorkeling on St. Kitts: Cockleshell Beach; South Friars (Carambola, Discovery, Shipwreck); and Frigate Bay (closest to the port). We've never been to Frigate Bay, so I can't comment. I know there's a beach at the Marriott on the other side of the island, on the Atlantic coast, but the water tends to be rougher there. There's also Nevis and I think tours are offered through the cruiseline. You can go on your own, but I've seen it mentioned here it's better to go with a ship tour because the timing of the water taxi (ferry) to/from Nevis isn't always reliable. I think one of the excursions through the cruiseline is a catamaran that stops for snorkeling at a few spots, then heads to a beach in Nevis for a while, then back to St. Kitts.

According to "Google Earth", there appear to be a few other beaches but I don't recall seeing them mentioned here on CC so I don't know anything about them or what they may offer in terms of loungers and other amenities. They are Major's Bay (appears to be between South Friars and Cockleshell); Banana Bay (right next to Cockleshell); and Turtle Beach (near Cockleshell as well, but on opposite side of Banana Bay).

Hiya!! Good to hear from you.

Yea, the 3 main beach areas I've seen mentioned are as you said. I may have to do some research on Frigate Bay and see if there's anything that sparks my interest. I'm not really wanting to go to Nevis or on a ship sponsored tour, so that's kinda out of the question.

I do know the Marriott has had some crazy high water every time we have passed on our way to the other beaches and it's just not what I would be looking for...especially with my little mermaid. So I think I'll stay off that side of the island.

I'll check out some of the other beaches you named and see if I can pull up any reviews/pictures online. Thanks SO MUCH! :)

High 5 to mitsugirly. I totally agree with you. Why comment if you won't share. Not sure if she was referring to me. By the way, over the last five years going to Carambola they have expanded so I think they are happy. Now Carambola is closed on Xmas day due to a private party and now looking to see where we will go this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mitsugirly - thank you ! And I really enjoy reading your reviews.

Thank you

Sort of wondering why you haven't considered going to Nevis? :confused:

I'm not really sure why Nevis? I don't really know much about it to consider it I guess. It seems like the various islands that are visited always have some type of island across from it that people want to visit and I'm not sure why? (For instance here and Nevis or St Thomas and St John and so on). I don't really like to spend a portion of my day on the island traveling and that's usually what is involved when trying to get to another island (cab then ferry or boat). I like to make the most of my day when I can. What is at Nevis that isn't at St Kitts? Just a different view of looking at St Kitts? More secluded?

High 5 to mitsugirly. I totally agree with you. Why comment if you won't share. Not sure if she was referring to me. By the way, over the last five years going to Carambola they have expanded so I think they are happy. Now Carambola is closed on Xmas day due to a private party and now looking to see where we will go this year.

Thanks. I'm sorta the type of person that can take the secluded beach or the populated beach. It really doesn't bother me either way (same with ships...well, until it comes to eating and long lines lol). But honestly, the only thing that isn't the greatest, when it comes to going someplace where there's a lot of people, is the chairs sitting side-by-side. That's the only thing I really don't care for and like a little bit of room between them. But those beaches with more people...hey, I've met a lot of great people at places like that and had a wonderful day doing so. So, I'll take it or leave it...no big deal to me.

Mitsugirly, wonderful response. I want to say thank you for all your great reviews and information you have shared witheveryone....

Thanks and glad you enjoy them.

NOW MAKE SOME SUGGESTIONS PEOPLE. ;p

Mitsugirly - I too am appreciative of your reviews and research with great pictures. We have shifted from cruising to renting a villa over the past few years. We will actually be arriving on St. Kitts on July 5 for a 10 night stay at the Marriott Beach Club. If we stumble upon any great beaches I will be sure to update!

There are only a few beaches on St Kitts that have any amenities. They are the beaches at Frigate Bay, North Frigate on the Atlantic with the Marriott. South Frigate Bay on the Caribbean side. South Friars on the Caribbean with Carambola etc and Cockleshell Bay with Reggae Beach Bar and others. Amenities would be food and beverages, some sort of restrooms, lounge chairs and shade and maybe some beach toys like jet skis etc. The Hyatt will opening later this year on Banana Bay. There is nothing at Majors Bay except the Sea Bridge ferry. Sand Bank Bay has no facilities that are open to the public and it is about a 400 yard walk from the road to the beach. Turtle Beach has no facilities open anymore. It was the location of Turtle Beach Bar and The Beach House, a restaurant.

Hmm, I'm not really sure how to respond to this. I ask for suggestions for a new place for us to go and you respond by telling me you won't tell. :o

As for people not suggesting places to go to others on cc...isn't that what we are here for? At least that's why I'm here. This is a community to share information, get ideas, suggestions, and report experiences. That's why I first came to CC and that's the reason I remain on these boards. So many people have helped me out with suggestions and I would like to think that I have returned the favor and helped people out as well. That's why we pull together as a cruising community...to help others out. ;) If you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in St Kitts, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

Cruise Critic, although there are thousands and thousands of people on here, is only a minuscule amount of people that cruise yearly. Most people have not even heard of this community, therefore usually taking ship sponsored tours or going places that friends have suggested or from land vacations. As the industry continues to grow, so with the amount of people that herd the ports...sooner or later, word gets out about those "quiet" places (or the businesses at these places want to draw more business and advertise more on social media/in port/websites, pay cabbies to take people there and so on). But I hardly doubt that suggesting favorite places on cc is going to overrun a place...365 days of the year to cruise and many, many islands to explore...I will continue to share my experiences with others in hope that they also have an enjoyable day at a beautiful beach...because that's why I'm a part of this cc community. :)

I couldn't agree with you more! The original response was kind of out of line. Thanks!

If you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in St Kitts, that's fine, but I'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

I wish you could "like" a post! My thoughts exactly! Thanks for all the info you share! Your posts are always the first place I look when we go to new places!

I'm not really sure why Nevis? I don't really know much about it to consider it I guess. It seems like the various islands that are visited always have some type of island across from it that people want to visit and I'm not sure why? (For instance here and Nevis or St Thomas and St John and so on). I don't really like to spend a portion of my day on the island traveling and that's usually what is involved when trying to get to another island (cab then ferry or boat). I like to make the most of my day when I can. What is at Nevis that isn't at St Kitts? Just a different view of looking at St Kitts? More secluded?

Sorry, I even suggested Nevis to you because I honestly didn't understand how strongly you feel about not wanting the travel time to get there.

We've enjoyed taking the catamaran sail from St. Kitts to Nevis several times (getting there was half the fun :)). The beach at Nevis was as if were were walking around on a post card.

You are correct that lots of travel time is involved and would not be the sort of thing you'd enjoy.

Guys come on, this is getting out of hand. Yes, everybody's entitled to an opinion. But when your opinion threads a thin line between opinion and criticism, you would expect the crossfire. That said, every one has different priorities and a different vision of what they want out of their vacation. I can relate to both points being made here. On one side someone wants to maximize their time on a port stop and on the other is someone's opinion on why something else could be better. But there;s no need to go into defense mode.

Some times port stops are short enough as it is. The stops the Carnival Fascination (which is the cruise Mitsugirly is planning on taking) fortunately has long stops (considering, for example, RCCL's behemoth ships sometimes have stops as short a 5 hours in a place like Puerto Rico where a lot of neat things are outside the port vicinity). Places like St. Lucia and St. Kitts don't really have much in the way of "cool places" near port. If one person thinks that a 40 minute (each way) ferry ride (longer maybe on a catamaran) is not to their liking, that's fine. Criticizing that would be like talking about why would one drive from San Juan, PR to Fajardo (1 hour) to take a ferry ride to Culebra (30 minutes) a cab to Flamingo beach (5-10 mins) and do it all in reverse to return when you can take a 20 minute plane ride from San Juan airport to Culebra, then to the beach. One may appeal more to someone than the other.

One thing's for sure: the previous two comments were not what I have become accostumed here on the CC boards and one of them was downright rude. I have read tons of reviews here. Some from seasoned cruisers, some from newbies. Most have been very informative and when I started cruising a lot were VERY useful (and are to this day), including some by Mistsugirly, pghsteelersfan and others. That's why I have done reviews from my trips. I could give a rat's (insert your favorite here) if people like the way I write, the places I go or my opinions of places. I do it to pay it forward. If I helped just 1 person with having a great vacation then my work is done. Please feel free to not click on, enter or read post from people you think less of. If you do, try to put something useful on the table. Because you know what?? Nobody has actually said why Nevis is a "must go" place yet.

And I've not been to Nevis so I can't comment on it....

On topic: we are planning a return trip to Shipwreck bar at the southern end of South Firars bay. Yes, I was there with my wife but this time we're traveling with our combined three mid-late teen age kids who all love to snorkel, get some sun, and eat "cheap" Caribbean food. That place meets all of our needs.

Mitsugirly I heard that Spice Mill is good. Similar to Carambola. It's further than Carambola and closer to Nevis. I sent an email but haven't heard back about reservations.

One can make a reservation on line.

http://www.spicemillrestaurant.com/reservations/

Book you lunch and day early, because if only one ship is in port SM will be very busy, as Beds/space are limited.

Best to visit when "no ships".

@port Royal I don't want to eat lunch there. I saw the reservations button but only want to book chairs. We will be there Xmas day and carambola is closed for a private party

On last visit, the chairs were for only for diners who wished to make a day of it, for a small additional fee.

As Xmas day, there will be plenty of diners, locals and cruisers.

Best book lunch and day, so no dissapointment on a sun bed.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

• 3 weeks later...
hmm, i'm not really sure how to respond to this. I ask for suggestions for a new place for us to go and you respond by telling me you won't tell. :o

as for people not suggesting places to go to others on cc...isn't that what we are here for? At least that's why i'm here. This is a community to share information, get ideas, suggestions, and report experiences. That's why i first came to cc and that's the reason i remain on these boards. So many people have helped me out with suggestions and i would like to think that i have returned the favor and helped people out as well. That's why we pull together as a cruising community...to help others out. ;) if you don't want to make a suggestion to me on a place to go in st kitts, that's fine, but i'm not sure why you posted to tell me that? :confused: Not helpful at all. Just saying...

Cruise critic, although there are thousands and thousands of people on here, is only a minuscule amount of people that cruise yearly. Most people have not even heard of this community, therefore usually taking ship sponsored tours or going places that friends have suggested or from land vacations. As the industry continues to grow, so with the amount of people that herd the ports...sooner or later, word gets out about those "quiet" places (or the businesses at these places want to draw more business and advertise more on social media/in port/websites, pay cabbies to take people there and so on). But i hardly doubt that suggesting favorite places on cc is going to overrun a place...365 days of the year to cruise and many, many islands to explore...i will continue to share my experiences with others in hope that they also have an enjoyable day at a beautiful beach...because that's why i'm a part of this cc community. :)

well said!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Port Royal, sure am glad that your last posts were helpful, your initial post was horrible. This and other boards are two way , give and take. Since a lot of us cruisers do not get to cruise often , your (?) spots probably would only get one or two extra cruise families a day. Not really filling up YOUR beach. My opinion only.