Dunn's River Falls - shoes & small backpack question

Maggiebobo

I've tried researching and all I can find is "water shoes are recommended". Can you wear sandals similar to Keens or Teva's?

My other question is: can you wear a small string back pack while climbing the falls?

We are doing the "Bobsled Jamaica and Dunn's River Falls" excursion through Carnival.

Thanks!

We were at Dunn's River Falls a week ago today. I'm looking through the pics I took on my phone (I did not do the climb, but stayed on the wooden boardwalk/stairs beside the falls, so I got lots of good pics and videos of DH and DS climbing). I do not see anyone wearing any type of water sandals. Everybody has on "full" water shoes. They have some for rent or sale there; don't know what the price is. I would think sandals would be extremely difficult on these falls as your foot would slip around inside of them. You can get really cheap ones at Academy or Walmart or Target; I wouldn't take a chance on sandals for this particular excursion.

They didn't allow anyone to take anything on the climb other than hats and glasses. Some people had cameras (waterproof ones or in waterproof cases) but one lady slipped and lost her camera in the water. Luckily one of the guides found it for her. There are lockers there to lock up your stuff. If someone in your group is not doing the climb, they can hold your stuff for you.

I've tried researching and all I can find is "water shoes are recommended". Can you wear sandals similar to Keens or Teva's?

My other question is: can you wear a small string back pack while climbing the falls?

We are doing the "Bobsled Jamaica and Dunn's River Falls" excursion through Carnival.

Thanks!

Yes, you can wear your Teva's or Keens. If you can wear your backpack and not worry about it and the contents getting wet then you can bring it too.

I would strongly suggest getting full water shoes and not encumbering yourself with anything. It is a lot of fun but can be very slippery. We had 2 bad falls in our group, as a result my daughter missed the next 2 ports. We all would do it again though, so go and have fun. Just be prepared.

does son perchance have a pair of tennis shoes on their last legs .... or just waiting to be tossed out? He can wear those and dispose at the end of the tour ......

You can wear sandal type foot wear, I recommend the type that fits as tight as shoes .... you want them to fit snug .... essentially you are climbing some rocks so 'flip flops' are not a good idea. Note that the guides are typically barefoot! But they are very used to stomping around the area.

You carry a small backpack or a fanny pack, but if you fall in the water everything gets wet. As mentioned lockers are available for rent (bring some small bills). They rent you a padlock and a key ... return the padlock and you get half the $ back. Bring your own padlock and ....... IME lockers are simple wooden construction - first come first ...

Thanks for all the advice. Old tennis shoes, great idea! We did buy him a pair of water shoes today though. I really didn't want to get there and have his shoes be a problem. We all have water shoes, but his feet just keep growing [emoji23]. And I'm rethinking the backpack. We've got waterproof cases coming for our phones (the type with neck straps) and hubby can use a ziplock for a little cash, credit card and our cruise cards. I can bing a small pocket size sunscreen and maybe call it good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...