Euros

a.madruga

Having read numerous threads ATMs seem to be the best answer. When cruising I also take into account what my time is worth and how much time I am willing to spend getting local cash. If there is an ATM in the port terminal, that would be great.

ATMs have been the best option in my experience. If you have a bank that doesn't charge fees for using other's ATMs, even better. We have a credit union account that doesn't charge for up to 8 outside ATMs per month. You will usually still have to pay a fee for the ATM itself, however - usually $2 to $4.

Also note that it tends to work out better if you do a few large withdrawls instead of multiple small ones, since the foreign ATM fee tends to be a fixed charge so withdrawing the maximum amount reduces the overall % impact.

ATMs in Europe, just avoid the travelux machines at the airport.

If you insist on buying foreign currency in the US prior to your trip, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have the best rates. However, you need to have an account with one of those banks.

As mentioned often the best exchange rates come from the ATM machines in the country you are visiting.

With that said if you only need a few hundred euros I just wouldn't worry. Even if you get $300.00 in Euros and you overpay by 5% you are talking bout $15.00

Keith

ATMs in Europe, just avoid the travelux machines at the airport.

If you insist on buying foreign currency in the US prior to your trip, Bank of America and Wells Fargo have the best rates. However, you need to have an account with one of those banks.

Good morning,:) I used Wells Fargo and do not have account with them. So maybe it depends on the particular

branch you are using? If you have an account there is no fee for exchanging US $ for Euros......If you don't have an

account there is 7.50 charge. But again, I was able to use Wells Fargo and I don't have account with them.

And I prefer having all my banking/euros taken care of before I leave. (that is just me)... if it costs me more,

I just deal with it.

Good morning,:) I used Wells Fargo and do not have account with them. So maybe it depends on the particular

branch you are using? If you have an account there is no fee for exchanging US $ for Euros......If you don't have an

account there is 7.50 charge. But again, I was able to use Wells Fargo and I don't have account with them.

And I prefer having all my banking/euros taken care of before I leave. (that is just me)... if it costs me more,

I just deal with it.

I also will be buying what i may need prior to leaving from Wells Fargo i know about pickpockets and will not be carrying large sums when going out.

I also will be buying what i may need prior to leaving from Wells Fargo i know about pickpockets and will not be carrying large sums when going out.

Wise decision to be careful with cash and valuables.

I would also do so with jewelry.

IN some ports my wife and I will not wear any jewelry other then sports watches. This is not only true of certain ports in Europe but in selective places around the world. It varies though and in some ports my wife will certainly wear some jewelry such as earrings and a ring but in other ports (even some in Italy) none of that.

In most ports I take a travel wallet.

In some ports just some money and one credit card. In some ports a little more money and possibly two credit cards if we think we will be doing additional shopping.

As tourists we know we are more of a target and when we walk around we try to be street smart. In other words very observant of our surroundings.

Love Europe and of course Italy.

For us we will get some money at home and some money abroad but what we get at home varies on factors such as how much we need in the way of cash and how quickly we need it. I mentioned this earlier but if we overpay by 5% in the scheme of things it doesn't represent a lot of money especially if we don't really have the time to get to an ATM right away.

Also with each passing year we charge more on a credit card. Just in Paris for one week. Used very little cash although I had a good amount of Euros left over from other trips.

Keith

After being a victim here in the us we are more careful traveling out of us DW has a trove of costume jewelry she never wear her wedding rings when going out in public, and for shopping less than 100, we want to careful but also have fun enjoying our surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not wear good jewelry when traveling anywhere! Especially during the land based hotel portions of the trip

Why?

Not because some street thug will tear your fingers off to get your rings....

Because when you check into any hotel or sit at any restaurant or make a purchase in any store you will be marked as rich....period

Case in point...

Friend and her sis and mom...ages 40 to 65.... traveling to Italy for the 10th time perhaps...check into high end Roman hotel....wearing their large wedding diamonds and tennis bracelets among other jewels...

A few hours later they go out to tour the city on foot but decided to leave the bling in the hotel room safe

They return to find...

All of their clothes thrown on the bed..

Their luggage gone...

The closet safe unbolted and removed...

Presumption...

Someone noticed all the bling at check in...hotel staff? Other guests? Local thieves casing the joint? Who knows

Watched them leave the hotel and got into their room and actually removed the entire safe and rolled it out of the hotel in their empty luggage.

Does this stuff happen all the time? Of course not

Can I survive 2/3weeks without my Rolex and diamonds? Seriously? Of course I can

Heck my good stuff goes into the bank vault from June to September ...every year...regardless of travel plans...

I like my summer sterling bracelets and cape cod jewelry and that's all I need all summer. Lol

The good stuff stays safe and secure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do not wear good jewelry when traveling anywhere! Especially during the land based hotel portions of the trip

Why?

Not because some street thug will tear your fingers off to get your rings....

Because when you check into any hotel or sit at any restaurant or make a purchase in any store you will be marked as rich....period

Case in point...

Friend and her sis and mom...ages 40 to 65.... traveling to Italy for the 10th time perhaps...check into high end Roman hotel....wearing their large wedding diamonds and tennis bracelets among other jewels...

A few hours later they go out to tour the city on foot but decided to leave the bling in the hotel room safe

They return to find...

All of their clothes thrown on the bed..

Their luggage gone...

The closet safe unbolted and removed...

Presumption...

Someone noticed all the bling at check in...hotel staff? Other guests? Local thieves casing the joint? Who knows

Watched them leave the hotel and got into their room and actually removed the entire safe and rolled it out of the hotel in their empty luggage.

Does this stuff happen all the time? Of course not

Can I survive 2/3weeks without my Rolex and diamonds? Seriously? Of course I can

Heck my good stuff goes into the bank vault from June to September ...every year...regardless of travel plans...

I like my summer sterling bracelets and cape cod jewelry and that's all I need all summer. Lol

The good stuff stays safe and secure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry about your friend's experience:eek:

I don't own anything that would ever go into a bank vault.....summer, winter, any season. I can survive without

Rolexes and Diamonds because I don't own any.

A very naive habit that some people have is to wear their ship cards and neck wallets OUTSIDE their clothes. One to the dumbest things you can do. But I see it repetitively including again last week. May as well, have a sign saying you're a tourist with money and credit cards.

I find when people don't have travel habits, that has more potential for loss. I always have my passport with me, money split and multiple credit cards, with copies of everything in 2 other places. I don't change stuff around with thinking there is more risk in one place over another. Risk of loss is always there.

A very naive habit that some people have is to wear their ship cards and neck wallets OUTSIDE their clothes. One to the dumbest things you can do. But I see it repetitively including again last week. May as well, have a sign saying you're a tourist with money and credit cards.

I find when people don't have travel habits, that has more potential for loss. I always have my passport with me, money split and multiple credit cards, with copies of everything in 2 other places. I don't change stuff around with thinking there is more risk in one place over another. Risk of loss is always there.

Cruisers have a reputation as being "easy" when it comes to scams (i.e. jewelry, other shopping, overpaying for taxis, etc). There is nothing wrong with being a tourist, but we are not sure cruisers do themselves any good by identifying themselves as cruisers. Go into a jeweler and ID yourself as being on such and such a ship (to perhaps get a free cheap charm) and its possible the price of good will increase :).

We live in Puerto Vallarta (for part of the year) where we have a balcony that overlooks a very popular walkway (and the sea). Sometimes DW will be sitting on our balcony and have fun identifying the cruisers (from 5 stories up). Its often easy to pick out cruisers from the masses. They often dress funny, have fanny packs, carry bottles of water, look around in a daze. and some do wear their cruise cards for all to see (and quietly mock).

If you want to fit in...in Europe just wear jeans and sandals (or sneakers). Its its hot and you want to wear shorts (or capris) that is fine...because everyone already knows you are a tourist...so why not be comfy (unless you are going into churches). And its true that wearing expensive jewelry can be like putting a big X on your back. Not only does it mean you have expensive jewelry. but it also identifies you as somewhat naive...that you would wear that stuff in tourist areas. Its also not wise to wear an expensive watch...or always be looking at a cell phone (this means you are not alert to your surroundings...and gypsies see this as an opportunity). And speaking of cell phones, they are also an inviting target for the Roma (gypsies) and other street thieves. Folks will protect their credit cards of cash, but then are careless with a phone worth hundreds of dollars. Go figure.

Hank

I have heard so many stories of theft of Americans traveling, as well as family members that it sometimes amazes me.

My EX-wife was never very careful with her things, contrary to my advice. I took control of the passports and airline tickets on our trip to Spain in the 80s. A purse snatcher got her purse in the Plaza Major, fortunately, she only had about $80 in the purse. She had her wallet taken in a Paris department store on another trip in the 80s. It was from being careless.

My Daughter, who is vigilant, had her pocket picked in the CDG RER station in Paris and she still talks about how good the chiefs were.

We had friends on a train in Italy that had a first class sleeper compartment that allowed them to lock the door. The wife had jewelry that she had purchased in the Middle East and it was stolen. Amazing ,since the with the jewelry was tucked away under other luggage. Somehow, someone (perhaps an attendant on the train with a key) came in their cabin in the night and took the case.

Another friend, a 60 something lady had her purse snatched by a kid on a scooter that almost dislocated her shoulder.

Another cruise friend we met on a cruise explained the game played on them in Barcelona, when someone spilled something on the lady and another came up to help wipe the stuff off. wallet taken.

There is more, it can happen even when you are careful.

Just don't take expensive jewelry with you. My watch is nice, but I think cost about $250. That is what I take.

Keep passports and most cash safe in cabin or hotel safe. Use money belt or neck wallet for money you need for that day.

As for spotting cruisers, yes it is easy. A agree with Hank.

Having lived overseas 8 years and traveled a lot, I can usually guess what country a person comes from by the clothes they wear, the styling of their hair or haircuts, what they are carrying even if I can't hear what language they are speaking.

Of course, it is hard to tell some, like Australians from New Zealanders. Canadians and Americans are sometimes hard to tell as tell.

where to get the best rates when getting Euros? In the States and Europe Thanks to all in advance

At your bank, or one of your local banks. I'm at the tail end of a month spent in Paris, before boarding a ship in Rome, and the exchange rate has not yet beaten the exchange rate of my bank. At the airport a few weeks ago it was $1.29 per euro, I've had to use the Mac machines and the exchange rate seems to be about $1.20ish and at home, I was able to exchange for $1.12.

Ah...first thing, the Euro has been going up for the last several weeks, it is as high as it has been in the last 2 or 3 years. The Trump administration is encouraging the weakening of the dollar.

Second, the official bank to bank rate is 1.17 as of this minute. You should be able to get it at an ATM for about 1.19 or slightly less.