Solo travellers on Star Clipper

fraj1

Hi - I'm a solo cruiser and just wondering if I'm likely to find many other solos on Star Clipper? Guess they don't do 'solo meet ups' as on the big cruise lines? I'm actually very happy with my own company and very sociable so have no problem sharing tables with couples for dinner - I have found on some lines however the 'couples' have not always been too keen to share with a 'solo'! Just wondering what it might be like on Star Clippers?

Thanks!

We have been on several Clipper holidays. There may, or may not, be other solos on your trip. In our experience solos and couples get on well together. It is often said that on a Clipper holiday one meets some very interesting fellow passengers - we have, and we are still in touch with one solo we met on the Clippers. Our next trip is booked and we are looking shortly to book a further one.

• 4 weeks later...

I did an Eastbound Transatlantic on Star Clipper and there were lots of solos. Very friendly with intermingling for dinner on the Transatlantic, people seemed to want to sit with people they chatted to in the day over the evening meal. Captain moved around the tables frequenting the ones which had an anniversary or birthday that night. The number of passengers was 46 as I recall. People seemed to want to get to know interesting folk they had been chatting to in the day a daily system of where to meet up evolved with a group on the back deck near the water machine pre-breakfast then other locations through the day, you were never lonely!. The staff seemed to sort out dining by language and entertainment similarly. Fortunately the cruise director Peter speaks both German and English. There was nevertheless a lot of multi national mingling.

Regards John

• 3 months later...

I did a Venice to Athens solo on the Star in October. The first night I asked the mature d' to seat me with some English speakers and had a great time with a group from Australia. After that I met a couple from the States and had most dinners with them.m At each meal we were usually joined by a wide ranging mix. Never had an uncomfortable moment. Go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this everyone - reassured on this so now the next biggie....do I need to have really good 'sea legs' for this?! Generally haven't felt sea sick on large ship cruises till I came across the North Sea from Copenhagen to the UK with Hurricane Bertha ... Now that did reduce me to the cabin for a day! Is everyone a veteran sailor??

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this everyone - reassured on this so now the next biggie....do I need to have really good 'sea legs' for this?! Generally haven't felt sea sick on large ship cruises till I came across the North Sea from Copenhagen to the UK with Hurricane Bertha ... Now that did reduce me to the cabin for a day! Is everyone a veteran sailor??

I think the itinerary will give different levels of sea height. On a Transatlantic I estimated that my bed was moving vertically about a metre and was ill. However on shorter voyages I was OK. Many on the Transatlantic spoke about how the yacht they owned handled but again shorter voyages you will likely get general ordinary passengers of many nationalities. The Captain said seasick medication was free and I think he was serious. I took some Crystallised Ginger lumps from a fellow passenger and someone else gave me a stick behind the ear plaster. I should take something with you; Holland and Barrett do the Crystalised Ginger Lumps on line. Two or so of those chewed a bit and swallowed quickly, if you feel the need, and all traffic stays southbound.

Regards John