Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

I know this is mostly a debate on whether the idea of dressing down is good or bad, but if anyone has actual experience on recent longer cruises (esp. Caribbean, South America, Panama), I would be grateful for info if folks wore long gowns and men wore suits and ties.... Not sure hubby will wear his tux... He may feel out of place.

But, I hope at least a few women wear long gowns so I am not alone? Truly, it is becoming harder to find cruises where there are formal nights to wear gowns....It has been a while since I cruised NCL, but I don't recall formal nights and RCI has them, but they have always seemed more relaxed than X ... The upscale lines with smaller ships often don't have formal nights either.

So, hoping gowns are still worn by some on X? I hate to just take all my gowns and DH tux to Goodwill... I love wearing them. Thanks!

I sailed on the Equinox in November on an 11 night Caribbean and there were several Tuxedo's, me included, and gowns. There were also a large amount of suit and ties and cocktail dresses worn. In all fairness this was one of the first cruises after they started the "Evening Chic" nights.

Cheers!:D

I sailed on the Equinox in November on an 11 night Caribbean and there were several Tuxedo's, me included, and gowns. There were also a large amount of suit and ties and cocktail dresses worn. In all fairness this was one of the first cruises after they started the "Evening Chic" nights.

Evening Chic did not begin until December. The first sailing on Equinox was December 11.

Evening Chic did not begin until December. The first sailing on Equinox was December 11.

My mistake. We Sailed the last week of November and returned in December and remember all of the discussion. I sailed a couple of times this year on Celebrity and my statement still holds true.

My mistake. We Sailed the last week of November and returned in December and remember all of the discussion. I sailed a couple of times this year on Celebrity and my statement still holds true.

I have also sailed a couple of times with Evening Chic and what I saw was a mixture. At this point in the change none should feel uncomfortable with dressing in a tux or a gown, kilt, suit, or a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks, cocktail dress, or in between. I thought the change worked fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have also sailed a couple of times with Evening Chic and what I saw was a mixture. At this point in the change none should feel uncomfortable with dressing in a tux or a gown, kilt, suit, or a long sleeve dress shirt and slacks, cocktail dress, or in between. I thought the change worked fine.

Agreed! Cheers!:D

Having just returned from 13 night med cruise on Equinox with 3 evening chic nights, I wore long evening dresses and my husband wore his tux. Neither of us felt out of place. The majority of Ladies did wear long dresses/cocktail dresses but the majority of men wore suits and ties. We did see several men in their tux. A few men did comment to my husband that they wished that they too had brought their tux. If you enjoy dressing up in more formal wear then go for it like we did and thoroughly enjoyed it.

isn't going on a cruise all about making new friends or sharing moments with the family and friends who joined you.

Try to respect the rules but just ignore those who don't and just have a great dinner. I just came off the Summit 9/4 and only noticed other peoples attire while in the Martini bar before dinner. I went to my table , had a great dinner, enjoyed spending quality time with my family and being pampered by the great wait staff. I don't notice or care what the people in the next table are dressed like nor would I care if they were sitting next to me in their shorts.

I don't think how people are dressed should add or subtract to my experience nor should my appearance affect yours. why cant we all just get along?

• 2 weeks later...
It is not spot on. It is meaningless. The definitition of dressing like a slob is not someone who does not dress according to some snobs standards. Worry about your own dress, not what others are wearing. People should mind their own business.

If you don't like how people are dressing on cruise ships buy a Yacht or rent a Yacht and you can be the dictator.

Sorry, Charlie! Shorts & T shirt for dinner on a cruise ship says SLOB! We're not talking snob here, we're talking at least dressing somewhat properly as one would at a decent restaurant.

Sorry, Charlie! Shorts & T shirt for dinner on a cruise ship says SLOB! We're not talking snob here, we're talking at least dressing somewhat properly as one would at a decent restaurant.

All it means is they are a rebel. If they can live with it that is their business. Worry about your own dress, not what others wear. Don't be a busybody.

Objecting to someone spoiling the ambience of a lovely restaurant with a super meal, carefully prepared for guests, is not being a busybody.

Well unless you spend your time in the dining room climbing on all fours, you're not likely to see what anyone is wearing below the belt.

Objecting to someone spoiling the ambience of a lovely restaurant with a super meal, carefully prepared for guests, is not being a busybody.

Super meal? Carefully prepared? You are dreaming. It is not made to order in the MDR. No, what they serve on Celebrity in the dining room is banquet style food that is usually good, mass produced in the galley. I do think the main dining rooms on Celebrity are lovely. They remain lovely however the humans are dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Well unless you spend your time in the dining room climbing on all fours, you're not likely to see what anyone is wearing below the belt.

From this post I guess there will be some people who try to wear t shirt and shorts, just hope staff do their job, after all they have spent a good deal of time trying to make the ambience nice, even if people try to spoil it.

Also just glad we are not in MDR to witness the spectacles.

From this post I guess there will be some people who try to wear t shirt and shorts, just hope staff do their job, after all they have spent a good deal of time trying to make the ambience nice, even if people try to spoil it.

Also just glad we are not in MDR to witness the spectacles.

There are no spectacles. Much ado about nothing. The overwhelming majority do not wear shorts or t shirts to dinner. On the last seven or eight Celebrity cruises I have done the last three years including two since the change to Evening Chic from formal since last December I didn't notice any shorts on the dress up nights and maybe a couple of people wearing shorts any night total the last three years. The number is so insignificant. As far as the staff doing their job you are making an assumption based on what you want them to do, not what their job actually is.

Super meal? Carefully prepared? You are dreaming. It is not made to order in the MDR. No, what they serve on Celebrity in the dining room is banquet style food that is usually good, mass produced in the galley. I do think the main dining rooms on Celebrity are lovely. They remain lovely however the humans are dressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles....I agree with you. But I can't help but wonder are there actually any peolple on this thread who honestly believe that the food in the MDR is prepared to order. Surely thier common sense would tell you that is an impossible feat.

Are is it true what they say...common sense is not common for some people.

As always happy cruising.

The informal definition of slob: a person who is lazy and has low standards of cleanliness. Please tell me are you that familiar with people on a cruise ship that you can make this claim about them. Shorts and tee shirt does not mean that a person is lazy and/or unclean.

Narrow minded, snob, living in a bubble, refusing to change with the times, would rather X out those that do not think like them, viewing the world through rose color glasses. Sound like someone you might know. I learned a long time ago not to throw stones if you live a glass house. Don't point a finger as you always have three pointing right back at you.

Come on, a total stranger wearing shorts and a tee in the MDR can't have that big of an effect on another stranger's vacation. If it does then I venture to say that person came on board with some serious issues/problems and that someone wearing shorts and tee shirts are the least of their problems. Is there a Doctor in the house!

As always happy cruise and get a life. Some of you people obvious don't have one.

There are no spectacles. Much ado about nothing. The overwhelming majority do not wear shorts or t shirts to dinner. On the last seven or eight Celebrity cruises I have done the last three years including two since the change to Evening Chic from formal since last December I didn't notice any shorts on the dress up nights and maybe a couple of people wearing shorts any night total the last three years. The number is so insignificant. As far as the staff doing their job you are making an assumption based on what you want them to do, not what their job actually is.

Just read the other threads, with people complaining about how folk have dressed and if the maitre dee's job is not to ensure that rules are kept then that's another gratuity I don't need to give.

Glad I have only one cruise booked with this lot, then back to good lines.

Agreed. We just got off a 14-night Celebrity cruise a few weeks ago and the new standards worked quite well. Didn't see anyone in the MDR in shorts. Might have seen a few without a collared shirt but very few, and no one that really stuck out as looking ratty or out-of-place. It was just comfortable and nice. That goes double for the "chic" nights. Far fewer jackets, but most everyone (guys) wore nice pants and a dress shirt (some ties). Again, comfortable and nice, easy to pack for, and everyone seemed to get along just fine as far as I could tell. All the talk of "slobs vs snobs" is way overblown, IMO.

Edited by dbsb3233