First Time on SeaDream

Tiki_Man

We have just completed our first SeaDream sailing. I have made a couple of posts in another thread about the trip. I wanted to post a couple of thoughts from a "first timer" aspect that we felt are unique to SeaDream.

Embarkation. This may have been the most "different" aspect from any other cruise/sailing that we have experienced. We came into Barbados a day early, stayed at the hotel until 1 pm and then arrived at the Port around 1:30 for a 2 pm embarkation. SeaDream had a table in the shade set up to receive our luggage (no tipping of any porter or longshoreman). We spent about 30 minutes milling about the cruise terminal mall area and then at 2 pm noticed folks walking to the ship (it was docked right outside the terminal about 100 yds away). We walked over, were welcomed by the Captain and Club Director and handed a glass of champagne. No lines, no hassle, just stated our name and walked on board. We stood around on the pool deck with several other passengers and finally realized nothing was happening in regards to check-in. I approached the Captain again and asked what we should do to check in. He replies - first have another glass of Champagne, then go inside the salon and someone will call us.

We proceed inside to a lovely set up of canapes' and more champagne (liking this trend so far). After 15 or 20 minutes a young lady came over and asked if we would like to check in. We casually walk into the reception area and 5 minutes later we have our photo cards and are all checked in. No lines or hassle - just at our pleasure. Best Embarkation ever.

Disembarkation. Again, SeaDream is hands down the best. Ship was not even tied up to the dock before 8 am. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast, walked down around 9 am to get our passports - no line, no hassle and around 9:45 walked off the ship and rode a small van to the cruise terminal. Easy Easy Easy.

Other things that stood out to us - no ship announcements (in fact, not much info at all other than the daily program). Fast tenders to shore. Plenty of seating at lunch and breakfast, never waiting for a table to clear. Wonderful interaction between the staff and passengers.

From a first time impression, those were the types of things that stood out to us and were greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Mark, you have the makings of one of us........SeaDream addicts. What you stated are a few of the reasons we managed to overlook a few "glitch" cruises. We have sailed on a lot of different lines and managed to enjoy them all for various reasons (even Carnival:eek:) but still, our number one is SeaDream. In fact I am worrying over a packing issue right now......Which flip flops to take. The dark brown (almost black) or the medium brown newer pair? Departing early Friday for Saturday SD II. Hope to see you on board one day. :D

Mark, you have the makings of one of us........SeaDream addicts. What you stated are a few of the reasons we managed to overlook a few "glitch" cruises. We have sailed on a lot of different lines and managed to enjoy them all for various reasons (even Carnival:eek:) but still, our number one is SeaDream. In fact I am worrying over a packing issue right now......Which flip flops to take. The dark brown (almost black) or the medium brown newer pair? Departing early Friday for Saturday SD II. Hope to see you on board one day. :D

Mary is sticking with the March sailing so far, working out the flight arrangements now (might have to use Cape Air for an island hop or 2 but that makes it more of an adventure). Just can't see why folks would bring kids on board. Nothing for them to do, can't enjoy the libations and have a bunch of Grumpy Old Men like myself around.

The service on SD is just outstanding. I will say that Paul Gauguin was close but the food is so much better on SD. I am over the larger ships (been there, done that, and never going back unless there are Grandkids to tag along one day). Mary did joke that at this pace of trying smaller ships we will be in a row boat in a couple of years.

Go with the darker Flip Flops, they don't show spilled cocktails as much.

Cheers and have a great trip.

Great logic on the flips. Thanks. We are using Seabourn Air (American Airlines code share) to fly STT/SJU after our trip to connect with flights back to PHX. Have not used the "puddle jumpers" before so are going to leave the ship as early as possible and use the porters at STT. Always a bummer leaving.

Been cruising with mass market cruise lines for a long time and have heard of a cruise mate's experience on SeaDream. It seems you have validated his intimate experience. Interesting to consider this next time. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to SeaDream Anonymous, Mark. Some people taste it once and say it just isn't for them. No slot machines, water slide or song and dance productions. The rest of us are addicted for just that reason. I hope you realize that once you try a 7-day cruise you will then need a back-to-back. The 4-day cruise you took is just a gateway drug.

And to complete the experience you will have to be a regular on the CC board. It is our link to SeaDream during those long stretches between hits of cruising. And when you are lucky enough to sail with ho-hum, you will have to introduce yourself.

Welcome to SeaDream Anonymous, Mark. Some people taste it once and say it just isn't for them. No slot machines, water slide or song and dance productions. The rest of us are addicted for just that reason. I hope you realize that once you try a 7-day cruise you will then need a back-to-back. The 4-day cruise you took is just a gateway drug.

And to complete the experience you will have to be a regular on the CC board. It is our link to SeaDream during those long stretches between hits of cruising. And when you are lucky enough to sail with ho-hum, you will have to introduce yourself.

TZ - yes it seems I have been drawn over to the SeaDream side of the Force (Good side for the soul but Dark side for the liver). We are planning to stick with the March 4th sailing and roll the dice on Spring Break (it is private school spring break in Atlanta but how many folks can that be haha). The 7 day sailing should be perfect and yes we were jealous of those folks last week that did the 4 day and then stayed on for the next 7 day sailing - one day, one day.

Speaking of Hum, I had an interesting conversation with a staff member last week and I asked if the mysterious Hum actually existed or was he behind a Green Curtain. He assured me that both Hum and Blondie do indeed frequent SD and that a sailing with them is quite the experience. Look forward to the possibility in the future along with the other members of this board.

TZ -

Speaking of Hum, I had an interesting conversation with a staff member last week and I asked if the mysterious Hum actually existed or was he behind a Green Curtain. He assured me that both Hum and Blondie do indeed frequent SD and that a sailing with them is quite the experience. Look forward to the possibility in the future along with the other members of this board.

Ha Ha, I could show you a picture but then I would have to........you know.:eek::D

TZ - Speaking of Hum and Blondie,...a staff member last week ... assured me that ... a sailing with them is quite the experience.

That's certainly one way to describe it :). Looking forward to our next opportunity to do so in a few short months.

Welcome to SeaDream Anonymous, Mark.

And when you are lucky enough to sail with ho-hum, you will have to introduce yourself.

The honour and pleasure will be Hum's, Mark.

As is sailing with Zimmy and TrapperZ.

It's been too long good chums.

Missing Lady V and Colonel Clint too.

Great shame about missing the "Crossing".

We all hope you are getting matters straightened out.

Just how many of the crew know who Hum is ?

Hum's identity is seriously blown !

"Quite the experience" ?

Were the informants crying in horror recalling the traumatic events when they said it ?

Quite probably.

Hum is a tyrant sometimes: the barmen rarely get to bed before 3.00am and then they must rise early to re-stock the bar ready for Hum's first "snifter" at 11-ish.

Suppose Hum must view the saying "quite the experience" is Hum getting off lightly, all things considered.

Ha Ha, I could show you a picture but then I would have to........you know.:eek::D

Jim's got a picture, The Commander's got a picture, heck the whole world has a picture of Hum in many, many compromising positions !

All photo-shopped !

All fakes !

Hum has alibis for each of them.

And if you publish, Hum will sue !

Especially when they have their film crew entourage.

That's so unfair TrapperZ !

Doesn't everyone have a film crew entourage following them from time to time ?

A large amount of filming was ruined because of Jim and TrapperZ purposely walking into shot, unfortunately.

That's certainly one way to describe it :). Looking forward to our next opportunity to do so in a few short months.

That's better !

A true chum at last !

Hum has adopted this much used term a lot but again it is true.

It will be an honour and pleasure to have time with you guys and share a few drinks at (your) "The Office" (at the very least).

That's so unfair TrapperZ !

Doesn't everyone have a film crew entourage following them from time to time ?

A large amount of filming was ruined because of Jim and TrapperZ purposely walking into shot, unfortunately.

That's better !

A true chum at last !

Hum has adopted this much used term a lot but again it is true.

I've seen a film crew following Jim. I believe it was an episode of Cops! Bad Boys, Bad Boys.

Isn't chum the cut up pieces of fish used for bait?

I've seen a film crew following Jim. I believe it was an episode of Cops! Bad Boys, Bad Boys.

Isn't chum the cut up pieces of fish used for bait?

Yes, in Florida chum is a common item. A bucket of blood and fish guts used to create a frenzy in the denizens of the deep. :eek: Not a term of endearment. Pal, buddy, hey you but not chum on this side of the pond. Due to having an English Mother, I can (sometimes) understand Mr. Hum. In between takes with my film crew. Not Cops! More like Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. :eek::D

Hello, my name is Mary, and I am addicted to SeaDream! TrapperZ is correct, the 4-day was indeed a gateway drug. (And if we are hooked after sharing a cabin with our 23-year-old daughter, I can only imagine how much we will like it double occupancy!)

I was spoiled at an early age by sailing on the QE2 with my parents in First Class and Grill Class. SeaDream reminds me of that wonderful service, but on a lovely small ship with a much more casual vibe.

As dear daughter told her boyfriend when he asked how our cruise was, "it's yachting, not cruising". Sign me up!

Ah, now I know who they are! - The reason that we discoverd SeaDream in the first place.

Hum was wearing a disguise !!!!

The real thing is so much better !

If you email SD Oslo the following:

"We discovered SD because of that wonderful documentray featuring Ho Hum & Blondie on SDII"

They will give you FREE drinks *

*special terms apply

It is open to anyone on Cruise Critic.