55 plus?

first2travel

I have traveled frequently via the cruise industry and have always wondered why the question on the age 55 plus passenger. 55 is the new 35. Are discounts offered? 55 is not really a senior. I have always considered once you are eligible for US social security then the "senior" title is rewarded. Does anyone know?

Eligibility for US social security is hardly the only determining factor for seniors discounts on an international cruise line.

In many countries around the world, including the US, the retirement age is earlier and indeed many people are able to retire and receive full pensions prior to this. I am one of those people.

So the cruise lines are trying to attract people like this. People with time to travel, a desire to travel, and the financial resources to consider it.

Besides, like others, I will grab on to any discount category that affords me more advantageous pricing or benefits.

Edited by iancal

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the traveling in the UK. Many of the Heritage Trust properties (historic houses, gardens, etc) offered entry price discounts for those 60 years in age and over. We gladly accepted any senior discounts that were offered to us!

Bob

I live in Mexico and carry what is called an Inapam card. It is a government discount card offered at age 60 to citizens and residents of Mexico. There are discounts that vary in each state, but range from property taxes, 1/2 fare on long distance and local buses, dining, medicines, flights etc.:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We booked a short notice RCI Australian cruise last Feb while we were in Australia. Called RCI to book. Not only was their price considerably lower than the US website price, the agent gave us an additional $400. AUD each discount on our cabin because we were both seniors. Not certain what they consider senior but we are in our early sixties. We very much enjoyed the $800 AUD savings on top of an already significantly discounted last minute fare.

It always pays to ask about seniors discounts.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...