Tips on Solo Cruising, pls.

bluebelle2010

Let me give you one very important piece of advice on MSC. On my solo European cruise, they had assigned tables (5 years ago, not sure how much has changed). If you find yourself in that situation and you don't like your tablemates it is permissible and ok to ask to be reseated/reassigned. The maître d' thought as a single woman I would be pleased to sit with two families with children. I was not. We had nothing to talk about, but I didn't know until I got home that you could ask to switch. I spent a couple nights in the buffet because I really didn't want to go back to that table. Had I known, I would have been out of there. Also, they don't automatically serve water at the table, so they gave the American guests water coupon books for free water to use at meals. If they don't serve the water and want to sell you one at the first meal, check with guest services to get your free American water (I kid you not)

Let me give you one very important piece of advice on MSC. On my solo European cruise, they had assigned tables (5 years ago, not sure how much has changed). If you find yourself in that situation and you don't like your tablemates it is permissible and ok to ask to be reseated/reassigned. The maître d' thought as a single woman I would be pleased to sit with two families with children. I was not. We had nothingy to talk about, but I didn't know until I got home that you could ask to switch. I spent a couple nights in the buffet because I really didn't want to go back to that table. Had I known, I would have been out of there. Also, they don't automatically serve water at the table, so they gave the American guests water coupon books for free water to use at meals. If they don't serve the water and want to sell you one at the first meal, check with guest services to get your free American water (I kid you not)

Thank you so much for the advice, even though I have done 3 cruise's I fill like a child starting school. Well it's booked now and I will just have to man up. I have always wanted to go to the fjord's so I am going to enjoy this cruise no matter what. I will also get my free water.

I have thourghly enjoyed reading this thread this morning! I am a 57yo single female and lost my main travel companion (mom) four years ago. I love to cruise (11x now) and like many other posters, my friends are either not cruisers, still raising kids or just don't have the time or means that I do now. I have traveled alone many times, including all over Europe but always felt cruising solo would be difficult. After reading everyone's advice and stories here, I am going to go in search of that perfect solo cruise! Thank you!

Cruisegiggler,

I am so glad you are going to try a cruise. I always look at the ship, what is there to do, venues, dining, then my cabin is very important. I visit websites that give me all of the odd shaped, larger cabins.

Next itinerary is important. For your first cruise I would go with a 7 day just to learn the ropes and to make sure it really is something you will love.

Last is bang for my buck, what will the cruise line and travel agent give me for cruising with them.

Hope this helps, let us know what cruise you decide on.

Candie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I am going to be a first time solo cruiser. I am looking forward to it. Don’t have to fight over who gets to throw their clothes over the chair and sofa. Lol

I am doing the HAL 16 night Panama Canal Cruise March 2018

If there are other solos going would love to meet some of you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums