Anyone Pay if Cruise Was Paid for With Gift Cards?

zdcatc12

I usually get Nationwide insurance, but this time I am paying for my cruise strictly with CCL gift cards and they don't consider gift cards as a form of payment for reimbursement. Does anyone know of any of the insurers that would reimburse if the cruise was paid with gift cards?

Edited by zdcatc12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We did the same with our breeze trip and was assured that I would be fully reimbursed. I spoke with a manager and wrote down all of their info as a just in case. It was John hanckock policy through insuremytrip. When I called insure mytrip they read off a generic policy. Then i called John Hanckock directly and they assured me i was covered.

• 3 months later...
I usually get Nationwide insurance, but this time I am paying for my cruise strictly with CCL gift cards and they don't consider gift cards as a form of payment for reimbursement. Does anyone know of any of the insurers that would reimburse if the cruise was paid with gift cards?

My daughter talked with Nationwide and they said they do cover if you use gift cards. She asked them to email that information to her so she has something in writing.

Laura

My daughter talked with Nationwide and they said they do cover if you use gift cards. She asked them to email that information to her so she has something in writing.

Laura

Be sure that you and Nationwide are dealing with the same thing: It may be possible to have travel insurance for a trip where some of the costs are from gift cards (or other non-cash credits of some sort), but what would that policy cover? Perhaps medical costs, but possibly not reimbursement for trip cancellation or delays or similar costs.

There are many types of policies with differing types of coverage.

The problem with travel insurance coverage is that you do not have to prove anything until you have a claim. At that time, you have to prove the amount you paid for the trip or cruise. Gift cards which came as a reward or a gift or a loyalty reward are not cash equivalents. Gift cards that are purchased may be considered cash equivalents. Unless you can prove that somebody paid $ for the gift card(s) you may be out of luck.

I would caution everyone to read their policy in detail, and perhaps ask for a copy of the claim form to be sure what is covered. A phone rep's advice is not part of the policy, and cannot be relied upon to match what an actual claims adjuster would decide.

With regard to the Hancock policy noted above and the use of gift cards, this is the definition found in their travel policy:

"Payments or Deposits” means the cash, check, or credit card amounts actually paid for Your Covered Trip. Certificates; vouchers; frequent traveler rewards, miles or points; discounts and/or credits applied (in part or infull) towards the cost of Your Covered Trip are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.

With regard to the Nationwide policy noted above, this is their definition:

Payments or Deposits means the cash, check, or credit card amounts actually paid for Your Trip. Payments made in the form of a certificate, voucher or discount are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.

So the biggest question may be what limitations are written on the gift cards themselves. Can they be refunded for cash? Is there a limitation written on them? Do they have the non-cash value statement?

Edited by cherylandtk