buying stroller in port

Jennilee17

Hello everyone. We are trying to decide if we want to bring a stroller on our upcoming cruise to the southern caribbean. I was thinking that maybe we just leave the strollers and home and if things go bad and we need one we could just buy umbrella strollers in port. Does anyone know if this is possible? I know a lot of tourist spots sell umbrella strollers but didn't know if it was the same in the Caribbean. We are going to St. Maarten, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, San Juan

Also would you bring a stroller for a 3 and 5 year old?

Thanks!

My DD always brings her umbrella stroller when cruising with her son. Not a hassle bringing on flights and very convenient when on long walks touring an area, especially when her son gets tired or cranky. She was worried it could be hard to locate the specific store selling stroller at port without private transportation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 5 months later...

Yes, I would bring a lightweight stroller such as an umbrella stroller. There is a LOT of walking both on the ship and while in port. It really came in handy for my then 2 year old. There is no guarantee you will find one in port especially in the caribbean. Most of the shopping area only sale touristy items like tee shirt and souvenirs.

I would not bring a stroller but both my boys from the moment they could walk did not wish to be in one. My youngest was 2 when we started cruising and he had zero issue walking the ship and playing all day. But he has always been an active kid and can keep up. And worse case if he was feeling tired I could throw him up on my shoulders for a few minutes and before you knew it he was asking for "down please"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to use a stroller bring it. You are on an island for only a few hours. Why would you want to spend your time tracking down and buying a stroller IF you could find one? You might as well not even stop at that port. Let's say you have 8 hours in port. You get up and get off but now have to wait for the stores (indoor or out) to open. Then you have to find the booth/store that sells it. Then you have to pay the jacked up price for your stroller. Then you have an extra stroller to deal with going home or you leave it behind and flush your money down the toilet. Doesn't make sense to me.

I found that one of the most important places to have a stroller was the first day with crowds and long waits. It's nice to have a place to put your kids while you deal with paperwork, juggle hand luggage, etc. Worst case, the stroller is a place to hold your bags. Also, once you get on board, there can be a long wait to get to your cabin - again nice to have a stroller to hold the kids who may be too tired/cranky to wander the ship until the cabins open.

I agree with the previous poster that the last thing you want to do in port is look for a certain item. Much easier to just bring it with you and if you don't need it, fold it up and stick it in a corner.

All the best,

Mia

We always brought an umbrella stroller until about age 3-4. They sometimes sell them in ports, usually dirt cheap, but why waste time looking when you can just bring it from home?

You may find the stroller gets more use on the ship than on land.

There are no big box or budget stores near your ship at any of those ports. Do you want to take a taxi, round trip, to the nearest Walmart? Bring a folding umbrella stroller with you. You may need it on the ship, too. If you need to buy one to take, get one with a removable sun shade.

• 1 month later...

I will be bringing my umbrella stroller for my 4 yrs old son. We will be leaving on Aug 20th and while he won't be using it on the ship, we'll definitely need it on Port as when he gets tired, he'll want someone to carry him and my old back can't handle it!