China airlines carry on weight

cruising3tlr

I booked our flights through Princess Ez air to Singapore on China Airlines. While I can check 2 bags up to 50 pounds each, I was surprised that my carry on is only allowed to be 15 pounds. When I called to confirm, I was told that the total of my carry on and personal item couldn't exceed 15 pounds. This leaves my carry on about half full and makes me think I should rethink what I check. I am the type that can take a 20 day cruise with just a carry on, because of the fear of lost luggage. This cruise, I was planning to check 1 bag, but keep my most valued items and majority of speciality clothing in my carry on.

Can anyone give personal experience with how they weigh it at the counter or the jetway? We will be flying out of jfk to Singapore and the return from Shanghai to jfk.

I appreciate your advice and experience.

Was on them last May. It's mostly spot checks. If your pulling a wheeled carry on, expect it to get weighed at the checking desk. Have a backpack that looks to heavy, it'll get weighed. They don't bother checking a purse or small hand held carry on. I had a small backpack and stripped it down to my camera and lense, bose head phones, a kindle, and our travel and cruise papers. My wife keep her jewelry, iPad, and kindle with her. All tour books and anything else of weight went into checked baggage. All these people wanting to carry on changes of clothes and full toiletries have to change their habits. Plenty of people holding up the line as they are emptying their carry ones and stuffing their suitcases at the check in desk. Weigh it before your get to the airport!

• 4 weeks later...

Several years ago, DW and I discovered the wonders of back packs...for our carry-ons. They leave both our hands free....which is very handy when rolling several other bags. But we also noticed that airlines might be weighing carry-ons (especially when they look heavy) but they have always overlooked our backpacks....which will often weight much more then even a small roller bag. Go figure.

Hank

One way to get around some of the weight issues about carry-on items is to wear a vest. Similar to what travelers or photographers wear. The ones with many pockets & a couple of large pockets. Once seated on the plane they fold up nicely with all your items & can be placed under the seat. I usually pack my ipad, all travel documents, extra camera accessories, & even a change of clothes.

Happy Travels, John