Never mind the high cost, what about the laptop ban?

jollyjones

USA to Western Europe

Western Europe to USA

If you're travelling directly between these areas, then I think that the current position remains that you can take a laptop or tablet into the cabin with you - although be prepared for additional security checks.

There's a possible wrinkle for Emirates' fifth freedom flight, although I can't remember whether it's still only the one nor on which route. I just don't know what's being done there.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the latest article that I've seen (June 28) and refers to more than laptops. It does reference anything larger than a cell phone not just laptops. It looks like a compromise to me. https://www.axios.com/expect-new-laptop-inspections-on-international-flights-to-u-s-2449801076.html At least they aren't talking ban but it will surely slow down the lines - again.

• 2 weeks later...

To those who believe those Smurfpoints keep us safe from attacks: do an internet search using "TSA checkpoint fails to detect test weapons." A 95% failure rate. I'm trying to find the one that popped up last week, but I can't. It had to do with a TSA team out of D.C. going to MSP and had I think 19 weapons among them as a test. TSA only detected 2 of them.

It's only fake security until TSA hires true professionals and give FLETC training will security actually occur. Hiring people with only GEDs necessary and giving 2 weeks of training is not going to make air travel safe.

Two posts from Gary Leff:

The first is about the TSA "Red Team" at MSP. LINK HERE

The winning quote FTA is : "In response the TSA “condemns the release of any information that could compromise our nation’s security.” Because it’s people knowing that the TSA continues to fail spectacularly that creates the risk. It’s the journalists who are the real threat!"

As for the electronics ban: LINK HERE

Lifted on Etihad, Emirates and Turkish, with Saudia soon to follow. The article makes some pretty good points about the dubious nature of the ban.

Flew out of MSP the morning of July 4. Have Pre but was prepared for additional security measures because it was July 4th. About every 3rd pax thru metal detector was asked to wait for additional screening. I was asked for my cell phone which was swabbed for explosives. Tested negative and I was sent on my way. I had a tablet in my carry on and it wasn't checked nor did they check to see if my cell worked. Not sure this process made me feel any safer:rolleyes: