Silver Spirit refurb

texasskier

Never fear Les, our TA always "surprises" us with OBC and other goodies. It makes for a fun first day, opening the envelopes in the room. Last time, in addition to OBC, she picked up our parking at the airport for 17 days! She's also found a sweet deal for travel insurance that is cheaper than SS and covers the week before in Rome too.

That's excellent. I'm not aware of any TA here in the UK who does that. I have used one giving a small discount, but nothing like that... my experience of travel agents have actually been negative overall which is why I tend to deal direct with SS.

My last sail on the Spirit I noticed that the underside of the interior of the swimming pool (which can only see while swimming in the pool) was very badly rusted and gross. It needs to be repainted. Other than that, the ship was in very good condition. I will be on board again in the upcoming months and will report if they have addressed this.

The observation lounge needs a complete redo IMO. Looks like a lounge at a nursing home.

Other than that, the ship is lovely.

This was always my thought for the Panorama Bar on the Spirit, not the Observation Lounge.

This was always my thought for the Panorama Bar on the Spirit, not the Observation Lounge.

I agree about the Panaorama Bar.....a little stodgy! However John does enjoy his am boullion there as it's one of the few ships that still offers that. He does boullion, I do a blood mary, which btw, are outstanding!

We also enjoy the Ob Lounge, a pre requisite for any ship we travel on. I guess it could use an update, but I'd take more interesting hors d'ouvres over better decor! haha!

While we were on the Spirit last, all of the chairs in the Panaorama were redone in a matter of days. The upholsterers came aboard and voila! New fabric and cushions.

I agree the room does resemble a lounge in a nursing home, but so many pax enjoy it to read during the day and it's great for trivia and then it becomes a piano bar and later a place to dance. So multifunctional!

I do love the Obs and don't feel it needs too much other than refreshing the fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been told by a very reliable source (I was at a cruise conference in August where the MD of Silversea spoke) that spirit is going to have a "muse" style refit. That's all that was given to me, but hopefully that's more than just new carpet!

Hi,

I have been told by a very reliable source (I was at a cruise conference in August where the MD of Silversea spoke) that spirit is going to have a "muse" style refit. That's all that was given to me, but hopefully that's more than just new carpet!

A thorough Muse style refit will be difficult -- to start with the Spirit cabins are a few inches narrower, making the passage of the food trolley from the cabin door to the balcony door tedious if not impossible (the attendant will have to hand carry those dishes through the constrictions in the cabin).

We had been on the Shadow (twin of Whisper) and the Spirit, and while we love the Shadow, we consider the Spirit half a step down, with poor design being a result of its inception at the low point of the last economic cycle. Being poor cats, anything is good enough for us, including the mass market ships, but as commentators, we have to tell things as they are!

We are on the Muse in Bilbao at this time and were told by a staff member on the last segment that the Spirit will be enlarged by splicing in a new section. This is the second time we've heard this in the past six months. This may be an old rumor but I thought I'd let the board know.

Silversea canceled Dubai to Civitavecchia (Rome)

Silver Spirit - 18 Days

February 22, 2018 Voyage 5805 to put the ship into dry dock earlier than previously scheduled. The original start date was March 12, 2018.

I canceled and received a full refund for all three segments I booked.

Silversea canceled Dubai to Civitavecchia (Rome)

Silver Spirit - 18 Days

February 22, 2018 Voyage 5805 to put the ship into dry dock earlier than previously scheduled. The original start date was March 12, 2018.

I canceled and received a full refund for all three segments I booked.

So they've extended the cancellations even more?

Is any cruise safe?

This work should have been planned without any disruption, pure and simple. There is simply no excuse for this sort of enterprise without proper planning and it should be taking place in 2019 or beyond when guests have not paid in full on sell out cruises. Whoever is making these decisions is treating its source of revenue with contempt IMHO.

So they've extended the cancellations even more?

Is any cruise safe?

This work should have been planned without any disruption, pure and simple. There is simply no excuse for this sort of enterprise without proper planning and it should be taking place in 2019 or beyond when guests have not paid in full on sell out cruises. Whoever is making these decisions is treating its source of revenue with contempt IMHO.

This was cancelled at the same time as the voyages that affected us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This was cancelled at the same time as the voyages that affected us.

Ok... I thought the dates were March 12 onwards. (Im sure I wasn't given any dates in February!) I've looked back over emails and I've nothing mentioned anywhere of the dates or % being offered. The post made it sound like it was an additional series of cancellations.

Ok... I thought the dates were March 12 onwards. (Im sure I wasn't given any dates in February!) I've looked back over emails and I've nothing mentioned anywhere of the dates or % being offered. The post made it sound like it was an additional series of cancellations.

Original drydock start date was March 12th. Now It is a cruise earlier, Feb 22.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting about the Spirit Stretching Rocchi.

Am guessing when we board the Spirit in London (September 2018) our mid ship Veranda now may not be so mid ship post Stretch. Just changed suites to one of the new 26 verandas--now we are almost adjacent to the atrium. Looking forward to boarding the Stretched Spirit with Musization touches as well.

Edited by WesW

Am guessing when we board the Spirit in London (September 2018) our mid ship Veranda now may not be so mid ship post Stretch. Looking forward to boarding the Stretched Spirit with Musization touches as well.

Very true Wes. Let's hope that the deck plans are available soon. I'm hoping to get lunch on the Spirit at Greenwich before the start of your adventure.

After your late start from tower bridge and the drone failure, I actually went in search this afternoon for a new launch site... and hopefully have found a spot a bit further down the Thames to launch from in Gravesend, opposite a power station which is having it's huge chimneys demolished on Sunday. That could be pretty awesome to film from height in slo mo!!

Am guessing when we board the Spirit in London (September 2018) our mid ship Veranda now may not be so mid ship post Stretch. Just changed suites to one of the new 26 verandas--now we are almost adjacent to the atrium. Looking forward to boarding the Stretched Spirit with Musization touches as well.

Would that be the transatlantic you're mentioning? We, too are considering that cruise. Now.....if we only had a deck plan!

Mark Conroy's late morning post here on his Chat thread has the link to the Stretched Spirit.

For your convenience here is the deck plan link:

https://www.silversea.com/content/dam/silversea-com/ships/silver-spirit/RE15659_Deck_Plans_Spirit.pdf

Apparently, no more The Restaurant, deck plan shows a Restaurant 1 and Restaurant 2 (with just images). Pls see image for Restaurant 1 here:

https://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-spirit/dinings/atlantide.html

Bet Les with your Muse voyage experience you can probably tell us what the names for Restaurant 1 and Restaurant 2 are.

Mudhen, yes we are now booked on the Spirit London to NY crossing in a new stretched suite. As spinnaker2's husband (Candy and Larry are booked) recommended to me, be careful of the "glue." So, I mentioned that Ida will not use her hair dryer in our suite :). We wanted a very mid ship suite in new stretched area as there is a chance 10% that since this is hurricane season in the North Atlantic we may encounter rough seas.

If you book Mudhen, please join us and register for the meet & mingle.

Well spotted Wes. I must admit I didn't drill further into that link as the info on the page seemed a little sparse, albeit actually spelling out what the expanded part will add to the ship.

I predict you don't need to have travelled on her previously to guess the names. The URLs are rather revealing.

https://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-spirit/dinings/atlantide.html

https://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-spirit/dinings/indochine.html

That said, I must admit it is a little surprising given the comment from Mark was that the changes are from feedback. As mentioned in my musings, it was very evident that Atlantide was the more popular even though I (and others commented), reported that Indochine was often quite empty. I'm glad it remains though. Of the two, it very much was a preferred venue even if I was in the minority with those views.

Happy sailing.... let's hope all mother natures hurricane allowances for 17 and 18 have all been used up!

What I mentioned above about the power station... I was considering viewing an videoing the detonation, but it's scheduled for 8 am tomorrow morning (28th September) so I won't be able to, which is a shame.

With my Spirit cruise from Venice cancelled and replacement in the Far East booked, we've scheduled a commiseration trip to Venice for three nights in a couple of weeks to compensate and look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk