Please forgive my ignorance, I am not a seasoned flyer. Delta vs Air2Sea

pharmdawg

I am comparing flying to Fort Lauderdale from Atlanta using Delta directly vs using Air2Sea(still flying Delta). I want to use Air2Sea in case I have to cancel my cruise (using trip insurance). Royal has told me If I have the trip insurance, I can cancel and get at least some of my $ back. Delta has categories such as basic economy, main cabin, first class etc. The basic economy says you can't pick you seat and the seat will be assigned when boarding. Air2Sea says the fare is standard economy. (does not say basic). If I go through Air2Sea, will I be able to choose my seats?

I want to use Air2Sea in case I have to cancel my cruise (using trip insurance). Royal has told me If I have the trip insurance, I can cancel and get at least some of my $ back.

Absolutely impossible to vouch for this one way or the other without specific policy details. "Trip insurance" is a term that can cover so many different variants of coverage and applicable situations, thus making it close to useless in evaluating your situation. Is this "insurance" from RCCL or a third party? What kind of "cancel my cruise" are we talking about? What do the specific terms and conditions of your policy include and exclude. What exactly is "some of my $ back"? Is that 50%, 75% or maybe a buck and a half? Finally, the words of the anonymous "Royal" will hold little water when it comes down to the black and white of the policy details.

Delta has categories such as basic economy, main cabin, first class etc. The basic economy says you can't pick you seat and the seat will be assigned when boarding. Air2Sea says the fare is standard economy. (does not say basic). If I go through Air2Sea, will I be able to choose my seats?
Again, unknown. If they are providing a fare basis that is NOT basic economy, then the answer should be yes. But, since most cruiseline air bookings are quite opaque until after ticketing, you are again at the word of the anonymous voice at Royal. If the agent cannot provide you with the fare basis, then they are close to 100% unable to tell you if that is a basic or standard economy ticket. In addition, just because you have a cruiseline issued ticket on the same flight, it does not mean that you have the same ticket. The underlying fare rules, including restrictions, may be quite different even if on the same flight.

Sorry to give you the long answer, but a quick yes-no would be inaccurate at best.

Also, before people chime in and say their "cruise air" purchased tickets on Delta came with 800% mileage earning, a sedan chair from security to the gate and Oscietra caviar onboard it doesn't mean your "cruise air" purchased ticket on Delta will.

As has been discussed ad nauseum when these threads come up, many people travel on these tickets daily and have no problems, it's when the problems occur and you found out that you unknowingly bought the el cheapo ticket that's heavily restricted you may regret it.

... Air2Sea says the fare is standard economy. (does not say basic). If I go through Air2Sea, will I be able to choose my seats?

This is a question for the Air2Sea people: 844-278-9745.

Delta doesn't actually fare class called "standard economy." That is apparently a term used by Air2Sea, and there is no way of knowing whether they use it to mean "an economy class far that is not specifically Delta's 'basic economy' or 'E' fare," or if they simply mean is might be any ticket in the economy cabin but not in the comfort+ section of the cabin. Unless the Air2Sea rep can tell you the actual fare code, there's no way to know if you'll be able to choose your seats ahead of time or not. Please understand though, that even if you CAN choose your seats ahead of time they will be highly restricted unless you pay extra or have elite member status with Delta. That means the seats available for YOU to choose will mostly be in the back of the plane and/or middle seats.

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked a delta flight and an Air France flight. The delta leg, I was able to choose my seats after the booking with no problem. The return on Air France, they charge you for that right, up to 30 hours prior. You just never know what you will get.

I saved at least $600.00 so I did not care if I paid an extra $60.00 to pick 2 seats.

On a flight from FLL to ATL, as the OP has said is what is being purchased - those are already so cheap that I imagine the OP is just buying for the so-called protection of the Cruise Air program. Any international or multi-airline purchase is irrelevant to the OP's situation. I didn't see where the OP said it was RT or OW, I assumed RT. Fares RT FLL-ATL on DL are already under $200 - DL even matches Spirit on that route, so it can't get much lower.

Absolutely have NO idea how Cruise Air will give you a flight and guarantee that you will not be on a Basic Economy fare, since I believe they do not tell you the fare rules for the ticket they have reserved for you from their bulk bin until you are really ticketed (not just told you have a reservation).

If one is buying just for the "insurance", DL also offers insurance when you purchase a ticket. The OP may want to compare the two and then decide if they want to give control over to a 3rd party (Cruise Air) than buy directly from DL...