Falmouth without Cruise Excursion

krush-42

First time cruiser. I am looking to explore Falmouth Jamaica without a cruise excursion to save some money. Give me any suggestions you have on shopping and eating. Also, what beaches would you suggest that my wife and I could get to and enjoy for cheap/free without an excursion? Thanks!:)

First time cruiser. I am looking to explore Falmouth Jamaica without a cruise excursion to save some money. Give me any suggestions you have on shopping and eating. Also, what beaches would you suggest that my wife and I could get to and enjoy for cheap/free without an excursion? Thanks!:)

Falmouth is one port that I would not recommend walking around on your own.

I highly recommend doing only ship sponsored excursions here!!

We went to Falmouth with Celebrity 2012 I think, using trip advisor we found an amazing place along the beach called Time n Place, sadly it is now closed, the port area at that tome was full of market stall holders selling wares, you leave through double gates and enter real Jamaica! We headed for a taxi who took us to our destination and agreed a time for him to pick us back up (just two of us) I would check out trip advisor to see if other travellers have done something similar recently to see if it is still safe to go out on your own.

Cozumel is easy to navigate on your own, very pretty town, we walked in to town ourselves, it rained so we went to the synagogue there, very interesting, had a bite to eat in town and returned to the ship.

Grand Cayman we did a private boat trip to the Manta Rays, amazing you can feed them, would highly recommend researching on trip advisor, have fun, we loved it!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

With the news about several cruise ships pulling out of Falmouth for 2018 , due to local harassment of visitors as well as problems with some local tour operators , stick with the cruise line tours .

That is common advice here on CC for all Jamaica ports .

It is a shame as it is such a beautiful country but for as long as I can remember , locals can be pushy and offering drugs openly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Stay in port or stay on the ship. Once you go outside the gates, you are on your own. Non employees cannot enter the gates to the pier. As far as Cozumel, Google (or go to Trip Advisor) "Paradise Beach". We always have a blast. :cool: Grand Cayman, you have Seven Mile Beach or go to Trip Advisor and look up Captain Marvin Tours. WONDERFUL private tours that MANY cruisers use for "swimming with stingrays".

Edited by champagne123

nowhere. if you insist on going on your own DO NOT leave the pier/gated area. there is a reason why many cruise lines are no longer going to be stopping in Falmouth.

Coz and GC are easy to do on your own and a helluva lot safer. any decent port guide will help you.

GC is a very easy DIY port. Buses are $2.50 pp and go almost everywhere. Beaches are free, and most areas have chair/umbrella rentals...food/drink and restrooms are scattered about the length of 7 Mile Beach. Shopping is across from the tender dock. Easy!

The OP is asking about Falmouth, Jamaica ... not Grand Cayman. ;)

Three minutes later OP added Grand Cayman; which is great to do on your own, while Falmouth is an ideal port to stay on board and enjoy a less- crowded ship. The immediate port area (read: "tourist trap") is safe, but you do not want to go out on your own.

Oh the drama!

I take the opposite approach. Jamaica has some amazing, very unique experiences and how can you not go get some authentic jerk while there? There are many very reputable guides (Pete and Courtney Taylor are two. we have used Courtney and were very pleased). Swimming and taking in the breathtaking views at Irie Blue Hole. A fantastic lunch at Scotchies. Driving through the amazing countryside. All unbelievable experiences and a chance to actually see a place you visit (what a concept!).

Or, you can stay in the sanitized, boring port facility and dine on US chain food (frozen burgers? can't get those anywhere else :rolleyes: ) and over-priced drinks at the US based Margaritaville's and get you some authentic (made in China) crap at one of the souvenir stalls.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like I will be doing a ship sponsored excursion in Jamaica. For Cozumel, I think we are going to rent mopeds and go to paradise beach. For GC, we would like to do something with sting rays that doesn't cost as much as the excursions on Royal Caribbean.

I would not feel safe at all on my own outside the port gates. We went 2 years ago, and I'm fairly certain they will not let you out the gate unless you are on an excursion. We did the beach break at Hilton Rose Hall which was absolutely AMAZING, and I wanted to just stay there! The resort has an awesome pool area with a lazy river and some fun slides, beyond that open bar and a delicious traditional Jamaican lunch, then of course plenty of beach access with snorkeling, paddle boats, and a catamaran (I think). Absolutely gorgeous!

But yeah, I would definitely recommend an excursion.

We were in Falmouth in 2015.

It was advised to take a ship excursion or stay within the gates. Some people did not listen and they complained once they got back on the ship about being harassed.

Having been to Jamaica several times, we chose to walk around the gated area.

We wanted to have a drink at Margaritaville, but there was a very large group from the other ship in port with us who took over the place and were very rowdy.

No matter where we dock in Jamaica, unless we take a tour if we are not in a gated area, we stay on the ship.

Grand Cayman we did the Stingray City and loved it.

Depending on where you dock in Cozumel, you can either walk to town or take a taxi.