Do you exchange money from USD to CAD?

Sorry, not really answering your question but if the concern is about acceptance of cc's and US dollars... Most (all?) taxis take credit cards (though you have have to do the swipe and sign if you don't have a pin'ed card). And I don't think service industry staff would complain if you tipped in US greenbacks, though keeping in mind 1USD ~ 1.30CDN.

Much as locals anywhere appreciate when visitors use local currency, if it's a brief pre/post-cruise stay then there is very little that you cannot spend USD on. Taxis all take credit cards (it's always possible that there's a broken machine but informing the cabbie that all you have is a CC almost-always results in it magically starting to work again...) and many stores do likewise. With the proximity of the US to Vancouver, tipping people in USD is also not a problem - especially if you give them as much in US as you would have in CAD, effectively giving a ~30% bump even after allowing for cost of exchanging it for folks who don't cross-border shop.

Public Transit requires payment in CAD (you can buy Day Passes and SkyTrain tickets with credit cards, but buses are strictly cash only) otherwise it's the small cash purchases like snacks/drinks while out & about sightseeing you'll have problems with - small mom&pop stores might take neither cards nor USD at all, and often cards only for purchases over $5/10.

Personally, unless you have arranged a tour which requires CAD cash payment, I'd be inclined to just break a US$20 on a small purchase the first place you find showing a reasonable unofficial exchange rate (many tourist stores will have a sign at the checkout saying e.g. US80c=$1CAD, and Tim Hortons displays the current USD exchange on their screens). Unless you have a bank which refunds foreign ATM charges, this is the cheapest way to get a small amount of CAD.

Before boarding a cab... warn the driver a credit card will be used to avoid awkward moments.

Not sure how using a credit card would cause an awkward moment - unless you mean in case the cab doesn't accept them. Most cabs these days do

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I always carry some Canadian money with me for small transactions and public transit. Larger amounts I use my credit card which has a good exchange rate.

I keep any left over Canadian money in with my cruising stuff, for the next trip!