Making Muse dining reservations

mpfund

Does anyone know what time the dining res system opens? I know it is 120 days out, but is it 12:01 AM California time, or not until the next morning?

Also, am not sure I understand what others mean when they say the reservation is a request only -- is it likely to not be honored?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA.

I made all of our dinner reservations at 120 days out at 9:01 pm California time which is midnight in Florida where the SS US office is based. We got ALL our reservations with no issues. I don't know for sure, but my understanding is that you make the request on line and then you get your confirmation with the actual time when you board, perhaps someone who was recently on the Muse can clarify. From what I recall all the reservations that were 'requested' were honored.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also, am not sure I understand what others mean when they say the reservation is a request only -- is it likely to not be honored?
The SS system is merely a request system not a reservation system like OpenTable whereby you make and receive a confirmed reservation.

In the SS system, you don't receive your actual reservation date and times until you board. You will see this online when you request the time you want to dine (early [7:00 - 8:00], regular [8:00 - 9:00], or late [9:00 - 10:00]) yet the system will not display the actual time you selected on your voyage activity calendar.

We have found while most of our requests have been honored, there are some that are different for one reason or another, or deleted entirely (Le Champagne this past New Year's voyage on the Spirit).

From what I've read online, the SS system only allows requests for up to 60% of the nightly covers in a given restaurant in order to accommodate passenger reservations once boarding has commenced.

Does anyone know what time the dining res system opens? I know it is 120 days out, but is it 12:01 AM California time, or not until the next morning?

Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA.

We just came off the Muse last Monday. When we arrived to our suite at the beginning of the voyage, a sheet was left with all of our dining reservations listed. Everything we asked for was confirmed at the time we asked. I input the "Regular," 8-9 pm time on the online system and they were all at 8 pm. We did have one waitlisted reservation in La Dame that showed online and still showed up when we boarded. Since I knew one of the managers from previous voyages, I asked him about this and he confirmed it for the time requested. Our butler was very helpful in any other changes we wanted to make with reservations. I did make ours early when the system became available and I'm glad because the situation is just as you may have read--no reservations and you may be dining in your suite. Some people did get seated but had to wait for tables just like in a crowded restaurant on land. I hope that this system does change as I have to assume that Silversea is listening to all of us who say we don't like it. We did dine in all of the venues, including our suite, but the non-changing menus made it a bit boring on a 12-day voyage. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have and I'm happy to try to help.

We just came off the Muse last Monday. When we arrived to our suite at the beginning of the voyage, a sheet was left with all of our dining reservations listed. Everything we asked for was confirmed at the time we asked..

That is reassuring. We made reservations on the first day it was open for at least one dinner in each of the eight restaurants, and two each at La Terrazza and The Grill, leaving four dinners not booked on our 14 days voyage. We intend to try course by course dinners on our balcony too. We will report section by section some time after we come back.

Thanks lolawpb -- very informative. I plan to be on the computer at 9:00:01 (California time) 120 days out to make bookings.

We are on for 18 days -- now I am worried about lack of choices. And since my husband does not eat sushi, we are down to 7 restaurants -- make that 6 as we are not crazy about pizza for dinner. Perhaps this lack of choice situation will soon be fixed.

Meow, I remember many of your detailed posts -- please keep up the good work on your next cruise.

We are on for 18 days -- now I am worried about lack of choices. And since my husband does not eat sushi, we are down to 7 restaurants -- make that 6 as we are not crazy about pizza for dinner. Perhaps this lack of choice situation will soon be fixed.

Kaiseki has sushi for day but changes to a hibachi restaurant at night. The menu is kind of set with only a choice of starter (surf, turf, or veggie) if I remember but the main was a multiple-protein situation, fish and steak I think but I honestly don't remember that meal very well. I can't say that any of the meals were stand outs like some I had on the Wind last year, but our cruise was incredibly busy and exhausting so I might partially blame that for my lack of clarity.

I can tell you that we had the same reaction to the pizza restaurant since we are "dress for dinner" people, but we were thankful to have the option a few times in the 12 nights on board. It is the only restaurant that you are told you can just walk in anytime and the pizza was actually quite good, but it is only pizza and no frills. We used it for a night that we canceled our reservation at Silver Note after hearing others' comments from the nights before.

La Terrazza had the most extensive menu of all the restaurants and the better kitchen staff if I go by the cook of our steaks and chops. My steak and my daughter's lamb chops were overcooked twice in Atlantide but both were well-prepared in La Terrazza. The service was excellent in Atlantide, however, and we had a few hiccups with some new waiters in La Terrazza.

We did visit Indochine on the first night and it was a lovely space but the menu was a little confusing- sort of Indian/Asian/other. Some people will really enjoy this one but it seemed less popular than others. La Dame was very good--nice, French food with a quieter atmosphere and great service. The Arts Cafe was a pleasant alternative to a big breakfast, offering smoothies and yogurt parfaits, as well as breakfast sandwiches. They also served snacks and afternoon tea with a slightly changing "menu" all day.

I hope this helps you all make more informed decisions as I felt that I would have changed a few things with our reservations if I had known more beforehand.

After 12 days on Silver Muse we weren't bored with the options, but a long cruise like a back-to-back would be a different matter. In general we found the food excellent though it will be interesting to see how Silversea changes things after this initial season. Agree with the comment above on Indochine, it's their largest dining venue but the least popular, the night we were there it was nearly empty. On a fully booked cruise that sends a clear message. FWIW the food in Silver Note was my favorite- one of the dishes there the best i have ever eaten on a cruise ship. But everyone has different tastes- so try everything and have fun. You can always order something from room service or try somewhere else later if you are hungry!