Around the Horn South American cruise on NCL Sun - pictorial review

tammyjw305

When American's desk opened, they still monitored and slowly let people into the winding line -- I'm not sure why. After checking out luggage and checking in, we went to security where I had trouble. I cross-stitch and had my plastic box with threads and little scissor that can fold into the handle. They were trying to find the scissor. We spoke different languages, so I could not help them find it. After they found it, they were okay with it but needed to confirm. We then needed to find water and a snack. We got water from vending machines; they were difficult and did not want to work and take bills. We finally got two. For a snack, options were limited. My husband had alfajores (a dolce de leche sandwich cookie) that he liked; I just had Doritos.

We got our oldest son a keychain in the shape of Argentina that said "Yo <3 Argentina". Our kids collect keychains on their school backpacks.

When we boarded, we learned that we had to go through security again, and that the water we worked so hard on could not be taken onboard! Okay...this is an 11 hour flight; I cannot have water that we purchased inside security of your airport. The flight attendants are going to invest little time in keeping me in water during this flight. We each took a last gulp and threw away the water. Grrr!

We had the seats in the 2nd to last row where there was only 2 instead of 3 seats to have our own row. I was not able to sleep, so I watched three movies -- Edge of Seventeen, Date Night, and one other that I forgot. I spared you my review of the airplane restrooms, so -- sorry -- sharing now. They need to clean them mid-flight on such long flights. Yuck! I went once toward the beginning - okay; the second time I waited for an older couple who were tag teaming using the restroom -- after I had seen been both get a turn, I darted in between them. Restroom was dirty! I came out; they were still there. I refused to go again in the last 2 hours of the flight.

We landed at 5am. We got through immigration and customs quickly. We had our passports preloaded into a passport control app. We completed the customs form on the plane, and app created a QR code for us each to scan at customs. There was a designated line for this app, so we showed a person the phone for immigration. There was a booth with officer for customs where I had to scan both QR codes. I was slow at this and felt bad, but no one was in line behind us. It seems it would not work well if everyone from the plane was using this system.

We then requested an Uber and got in the wrong one -- it was crazy, I have never had/caused this problem before. The guy was so nice to be working at 5am on Saturday morning, and we had just had an 11 hour flight with no sleep.

We got home, showered, and had breakfast. When it was a reasonable time, we went to pick up our kids.

Summary cruise ship review next.

Embarkation: The worst we have had. I heard the port employees blamed, but I expect the cruise line to step in to keep their customers happy.

Entertainment: Very good. I forgot to mention seeing H(elvis). He was also good. I do not normally enjoy watching people sing, but enjoyed the Beatles and Elvis cover band. Also, enjoyed a lady singing at the java cafe near Four Seasons. I'm growing in my musical entertainment tastes :). Husband wanted to see the string trio, so we watched them in Spinnakar. He enjoyed their performance. I'm musically ignorant vs. him who can play. We did not watch any of the singing/dancing big production shows.

We enjoyed the cruise director staff activities.

Dining: We were pleased with the food and service. We were glad that we got to try two new specialty dining places. They were always willing to make requested alterations. Two exceptions of hard to get service in the sports bar, and we had a rough waiter in the MDR at lunch. We had him a second time, and he did better then. Also, need more buffet space open when everyone is returning from port.

Cabin: We were disappointed in the room steward. He kept taking my 2nd towel, only 4 towel animals on a 15 night cruise, and he fell behind on cleaning the bathroom. The toilet started requiring multiple flushes because toilet paper started hanging on gunk growing on the sides. After a cleaning, it worked again. The cabin had good storage. The port hole was good for us; though I much prefer the cabins where the bed is beside the window instead of with the head to it. I like to sit on the bed and see out the window. We found some bonus outlets behind the TV and near the ice bucket. The TV needed more episodes of the shows they offered.

Crew: Wonderful, as always, with the few exceptions mentioned above. Friendly and willing to help.

Shore Excursions: All went as planned with no problems. In BA, we got a bonus stop. Both tour guides and bus drivers were good and professional. Both tours were very enjoyable. The Latitudes discount is nice addition to the program. Remember a tip for your guide/rider; easy to almost forget after paying the cruise line a lot for the tour. They could start later for me :).

Disembarkation: I do not remember it too well, so I think that means it was smooth and quick. Then we were off on our tour.

Thank you for reading along as I re-lived the trip!

Tammy, a sincere thanks for sharing your trip with us! It gives us an idea of what to expect. Setting reasonable expectations usually results in a happy cruise.

I'm considering penguin excursions in both Tombo and Falkands (realizing the latter is very hit or miss). How rough did the people say the four wheel excursions in the Falklands were? DH has spinal osteoporosis.

Would you also recommend the free walking tours in Montevideo? Usually, in cities such as that we just like to wander and experience....so it would either be the free tours or just a DIY.

Another question...if time was not a constraint, how long would you have liked to have spent in the pre- cruise and post cruise cities? Our cruise does not overnight in BA. I'm going to attempt our flights with miles, so it may come down to when I find low mile premium seats (we've gotten soft in our old age). I am doing whatever I can to get points on certain cards right now so I can pull it off.

Tammy, a sincere thanks for sharing your trip with us! It gives us an idea of what to expect. Setting reasonable expectations usually results in a happy cruise.

I'm considering penguin excursions in both Tombo and Falkands (realizing the latter is very hit or miss). How rough did the people say the four wheel excursions in the Falklands were? DH has spinal osteoporosis.

Would you also recommend the free walking tours in Montevideo? Usually, in cities such as that we just like to wander and experience....so it would either be the free tours or just a DIY.

Another question...if time was not a constraint, how long would you have liked to have spent in the pre- cruise and post cruise cities? Our cruise does not overnight in BA. I'm going to attempt our flights with miles, so it may come down to when I find low mile premium seats (we've gotten soft in our old age). I am doing whatever I can to get points on certain cards right now so I can pull it off.

On the Falklands, I recommend asking here. They did not say it was rough; I just read it was. One person who went was a kayaker, but I believe her father went too. Since I did not experience it, I don't want to lead you astray.

I liked the guided walking tour in Montevideo for the insider info and to be able to ask questions. The city is very walkable if you want to do it on your own. If you do, I recommend finding a walking tour in an app or printed, so you can read about places as you go. But, I also agree with you; you can come across some cool sites while wandering around a new city.

We would have enjoyed more day in Santiago, and we liked the extra day in BA. Without it, we would have just had one day where we were also trying to get to the airport on time. We would gone to Iguazu Falls, Argentina-side (since Brazil requires a visa) with more time.

I enjoyed your review, Tammy. It's almost like I was there. :p

Regarding Montevideo, as you exit the pier, there's a small tourist information building on your right. In there, they have a free walking map of the major sites with a brief explanation of each. We had also planned to take the free walking tour, but opted just to follow this map instead.

I enjoyed your review, Tammy. It's almost like I was there. :p

Regarding Montevideo, as you exit the pier, there's a small tourist information building on your right. In there, they have a free walking map of the major sites with a brief explanation of each. We had also planned to take the free walking tour, but opted just to follow this map instead.

Thanks!

Hehe -- you may even be in a picture or two :)

How were the Falls after?

Thanks!

Hehe -- you may even be in a picture or two :)

How were the Falls after?

Very hot with lots of walking, but definitely worth it. We had dinner with Tony and Usha at a pretty good restaurant in Puerto Iguazu. Like you, we struggled to find a good steak on this trip in a region known for its red meat, but at least we ended on a high note.

Very hot with lots of walking, but definitely worth it. We had dinner with Tony and Usha at a pretty good restaurant in Puerto Iguazu. Like you, we struggled to find a good steak on this trip in a region known for its red meat, but at least we ended on a high note.

The Falls looked very big. Maybe we will get to see them another time!

• 2 weeks later...

I remembered one more random thing. If you land and sail from Chile, keep up with the immigration or passport control receipt (printed out like a receipt) that says "policía". The cruise line required it when we checked in. Luckily, we stuck it in our passports and had left it there. I was still confused what the cruise line wanted when they asked for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you glad you brought hiking boots or would sneakers (walking shoe type) be ok? I really don't want to haul or wear my hiking boots if I don't need to.

We are doing the 'regular' excursion like Volunteer Point; some hiking at Ushaia, but I think it is pretty easy walking., plus whatever walking needed for the various penguin tours and city tours.

Also, did your shoes get really dirty in the penguin areas? I know some people bring the disposable booties to cover their shoes.

• 3 weeks later...
Were you glad you brought hiking boots or would sneakers (walking shoe type) be ok? I really don't want to haul or wear my hiking boots if I don't need to.

We are doing the 'regular' excursion like Volunteer Point; some hiking at Ushaia, but I think it is pretty easy walking., plus whatever walking needed for the various penguin tours and city tours.

Also, did your shoes get really dirty in the penguin areas? I know some people bring the disposable booties to cover their shoes.

I think walking shoes (nikes, nb, or something like that) would be fine too; the hiking was not difficult. I did primarily bring hiking boots so my walking shoes would stay clean and for the hiking boots waterproof-ness to keep my feet dry. You may have a smaller waterproof shoe that you prefer too; some stops on the cruise get a lot rain.

I did not find the penguin areas very dirty. In Puerto Tombo and Gypse Cove on Falklands, they have paths for observing the penguins that are not muddy. In Falklands, we ventured past the penguin viewing and found some mud (husband ventured into more mud than me :)). All depends on how much it rains before and during your visit.

Tammy

I think walking shoes (nikes, nb, or something like that) would be fine too; the hiking was not difficult. I did primarily bring hiking boots so my walking shoes would stay clean and for the hiking boots waterproof-ness to keep my feet dry. You may have a smaller waterproof shoe that you prefer too; some stops on the cruise get a lot rain.

I did not find the penguin areas very dirty. In Puerto Tombo and Gypse Cove on Falklands, they have paths for observing the penguins that are not muddy. In Falklands, we ventured past the penguin viewing and found some mud (husband ventured into more mud than me :)). All depends on how much it rains before and during your visit.

Tammy

Thanks! I had already kind of decided to leave the boots home--already a lot of extra stuff to pack for this cruise, given the weather possibilities. I guess I was thinking of the booties more for the penguin messes. Wouldn't be very hard to throw a couple of pair in. I might try waterproofing my walking shoes and/or bringing a pair of light weight sketchers for around the ship or town walking.

I have just spent a good part of the day reading through all of your review!! We are planning to do a South America/Antarctica cruise on HAL, but most of the ports are the same as your cruise. I enjoyed all of the detail you included and have bookmarked many of the tour websites you posted...thanks!

We were just on the Sun in Alaska in May so many of your ship photos brought back memories. I chuckled when I read about you enjoying the cookies so much and your comments on how some passengers were hoarding them! Normally I wouldn't waste my calories on cookies when there are so many other choices available, but the NCL Sun cookies were very GOOD. The cookies made a great afternoon snack and it was so disappointing when they were not available.

I know on our 14-day cruise it was also frustrating to come back late from a tour and the only food available was at the buffet off of the Great Outdoors. Seems like the line was always so long. Sounds like you might have encountered the same issue.

Thanks again for doing such a thorough review...I have done these in the past and know how much time is invested!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
March 23, 2017 - Buenos Aires - Day 1

We were now officially docked for disembarkation but were overnighting here. No more being rocked to sleep by the ship movement tonight. They allowed those that wanted to disembark this morning do so; they had instructions in the disembarkation document.

tammyjw305- we have this itinerary planned for 2019. When you got your disembarkation document, you say they allowed disembarkation that first morning. Did they say in the instructions how early you could leave the final morning. Could you come and go all night if you wished since you were in port overnight. We want to take a very early flight the 2nd morning to the falls...want to disembark at 5 or 6 am....is that possible based on the instructions?