Cruising with a 14 month old

barrelracer89

I am currently pregnant but we have our first cruise with the baby planned for November of next year, it was planned for this year but was moved because we found out I was pregnant.

So my question is we are going to Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk.

What are some good things to do in those ports with a baby?

We thought about in Amber Cove renting a pool side cabana so we could get out of the sun if needed and it's near the splash pad for kids .

Thank you in advance to anyone with advice.

Yes I love to plan ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations!

We haven't been to Amber Cove, but are headed there this November. We're thinking along the same lines, though the poolside cabanas are sold out for our cruise. That seems like a good plan with a 14MO.

Grand Turk: the beach/pool area right off the pier. It's free and the kids love it.

San Juan: I would consider doing the forts if you haven't been. Not exactly stroller friendly, but the child might enjoy it and it's a great thing to see.

St. Thomas: haven't been in awhile, but I think we did a tour which included Coral World. It's small-ish, but probably just right for a child that size. I feel like we also did a monkey encounter, but I don't see anything like that now so might be mis-remembering.

It's a good idea to join the port boards here on CC and read for awhile. Pretty much all the common excursions will show up on the first page over the course of time.

I would recommend catching the free HO-HO bus in San Juan and going to El Morro. There is a gradual incline to get to the entrance, and on both sides there is lots of green grass for the kiddo to run and burn off energy when he/she has had enough of the fort. EM

Looking toward the fort:

enhance

enhance

Looking back toward town and the bus stop:

enhance

EM

We jumped off the shuttle around the point that your 3rd photo was taken... then watched the shuttle drive right up to the cul-de-sac right in front of the fort! :eek: We picked the shuttle up at the entrance on the way back to the ship. :D

Be prepared to wait on/for the shuttles, but it's free. I'm sure cabs are available for hire.

Both forts are covered by the $5pp entry fee, so save your receipt if you pay at one and plan to go to the either.

We cruised with our son when he was 14 months. He had just started walking and basically wanted to cruise along every wall and piece of furniture on the ship so kept us busy. In GT we rented a cabana in Margaritaville. Loved having a cool place out of the sun and baby was able to nap. We also did a walking tour in PR that included the forts when he was 2. Stroller wasn't a problem and was entertained by the scenery and prob would have been at 14 months. Other advice bring more diapers than you think you will need. Was down to my last one at debarkation [emoji15] Even though there were foods he could have we were paranoid as not all foods had been given prior to rule out allergies so we brought familiar snacks and baby food containers. Disposable bibs and spoons too. Also brought new small toys he had never seen before for meals. It will be a fun time!Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

Amber Cove and Grand Turk both have rental cabanas, if you want to pay the extra and keep your little one out of the sun. I agree with the HOHO bus in San Juan. The area around El Morro is awesome for little ones to run and play. Hopefully, San Juan will be back, recovered from the hurricane, by next fall! St. Thomas is one of our favorite ports, but not necessarily baby-friendly. You would probably need to take a taxi or shuttle to a beach, which necessitates a car seat. Not sure how that would work. Another possibility is the Skyride up to Paradise Point, which runs about $20 pp, with kids under five for free. Gorgeous views, shopping, parrots, and delicious Bushwackers, the drink of St. Thomas :D!

A guidebook will help you decide what your family might enjoy....there won't be anything about Amber Cove, as that is a "cruise built" area, but your other stops will be in the books! Libraries have them in the reference section! The more you know about your stops, the better time you will have!

Amber Cove and Grand Turk both have rental cabanas, if you want to pay the extra and keep your little one out of the sun. I agree with the HOHO bus in San Juan. The area around El Morro is awesome for little ones to run and play. Hopefully, San Juan will be back, recovered from the hurricane, by next fall! St. Thomas is one of our favorite ports, but not necessarily baby-friendly. You would probably need to take a taxi or shuttle to a beach, which necessitates a car seat. Not sure how that would work. Another possibility is the Skyride up to Paradise Point, which runs about $20 pp, with kids under five for free. Gorgeous views, shopping, parrots, and delicious Bushwackers, the drink of St. Thomas :D!

All the sky rides I have seen will not allow a lap child. 14 months is much to Young for something like that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Horsegal, the Skyride to Paradise Point is enclosed and on a cable which goes up the mountain. It's not open, like a ski-lift. Children are in no danger.

Good to know!! When I hear skyride I always picture the ski-lift style. Never seen one like what your described.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

My aunt went on the cruise with 17 months old boy. She told me that it was not the easiest but in the overall nice. I assume it really depends on mum and baby. Just in case, do all doctors check before the cruise to make sure that baby is 100% ready and you have all drugs with you if smth happens