Live, Terry/Spirit: Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany; Pix’s!

TLCOhio

To follow-up on the late June Wall Street Journal profile/expert tips for Bordeaux, below are some added visuals and details not posted previously from our wonderful day in this great region of France.

Regarding Nicolle Croft, she was our super great expert tour guide. Wonderful!! Maybe the best guide we have ever experienced. Super great day with her and Rick and Sharon from California!! You can reach and find Nicole at:

www.wineguidebordeaux.com

Email: nicolle@sip-wines.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,805 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From Bordeaux's Place de la Bourse, it was built from 1730 to 1775 by Louis XV’s architect, Ange-Jacques Gabriel. This elegant square has symbolised the city of Bordeaux for centuries and was key in the city's development, trade and image. The equestrian statue of the king originally there was replaced by one of Napoleon, followed by the Fountain of the Three Graces in 1869. The 2006 addition of the Miroir d’eau (water mirror) is described as the world's largest reflecting pool, covering 37,100 square feet and is located on the quay of the Garonne.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201623_zpsznuvmhi6.jpg

June%202017A%201622_zpstwtkjc0u.jpg

This is the City Hall building in Bordeaux with the French and Europe flags shown. Notice the wind blowing in different directions? This structure is right near the main Cathedral in Bordeaux.:

June%202017A%201625_zpswp4kigqg.jpg

Here is the structure above one of the historic gates along the old wall system in Bordeaux. It is the bell and clock of the Grosse Cloche gate in Saint James street in Old Bordeaux. Parts of it go back to the 13th century.:

June%202017A%201624_zpsjzd23mpb.jpg

This is the top part of the Monument aux Girondins. It is on the western end of the Place des Quinconces and stands at 177 feet high. It was built between 1894 and 1902 to commemorate the Girondists who suffered the guillotine during the Revolution period of French history.:

June%202017A%201626_zpspbi3ggx9.jpg

Finally, on the top floor of the high-tech, year-old La Cité du Vin, my wife and I are toasting and tasting some of the wine from this excellent region. Notice the many wine bottles used to cover the ceiling area at this scenic, eighth-floor location:

June%202017A%201627_zpsmvflrsqc.jpg

YES, Kate, happy to be helpful and share more information. Good suggestions were made on connection options. In doing an e-mail spread out in words as done by . . . XXX at XXX dot com, it lessens such problems compared to doing a regular posting for such an address. Let me know what is best for you. Or, just post your detailed questions here and I am happy to respond and share more background.

Thanks Terry, sorry for the delay in reply, real life got in the way of cruise planning. Thank you for those that suggested the spelling method so that it doesn't become a hot link. I would love you to drop me a line at

ivegotanalter ( at ) yahoo ( dot ) com to chat about your guide in Brittany.

Thanks Terry, sorry for the delay in reply, real life got in the way of cruise planning. Thank you for those that suggested the spelling method so that it doesn't become a hot link. I would love you to drop me a line at ivegotanalter ( at ) yahoo ( dot ) com to chat about your guide in Brittany.

Agree with Camillus112 that Kate came up with a good, cute and creative e-mail address. I just sent you a note and am happy to chat more by phone. Know Virginia well as our grandsons, son, his wife, etc., live in Charlottesville, Va. Just follow-up/reply and we will do a time that works for both of our schedules.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,552 views for this posting.

Thanks Terry, sorry for the delay in reply, real life got in the way of cruise planning..

Appreciate the chance to hook up and share more with Kate from Virginia by phone. Posting on boards and/or e-mail communications can be nice and good. BUT, just "chatting" by phone has great pluses. Glad that I was able to share more, answer added questions. Happy to help on any other questions and info needs.

For Lois R., who is getting ready to leave from Barcelona on the Silver Spirit, I wanted to post some added details for the bathrooms, etc., on this ship.

As I have noted earlier, I am not shy in pointing out a few areas where Silversea can make improvements (such as with their slow self-service laundry machines, a few “service consistencies”, needing to lessen the "sales pitches" in the Chronicle, etc. BUT, I also like to do appropriate “shout-outs” about the many strong positives we encountered and enjoyed on the Silver Spirit.

One key strong plus was the suite bathroom for the Silver Spirit. Why? Am I able to provide some details and actual “evidence”? Yes, yes!! Compared to the older Silver Cloud, the bathrooms on the Silver Spirit are both larger and better in their lay-out. The general category for “space and feel” was the major upgrade and improvement noticed immediately. Having both a bath tub and separate shower is like moving into the “21st Century”!! Some do love tubs. Not me. Sorry! Personally, I hate having to climb over a high tub wall, deal with that “narrowness”, etc. For a cruise ship, without paying for the much bigger and more costly BIG suites, this area was a very pleasant situation. Yes, double sinks could have been nice or ideal, maybe.

The major pluses, in addition to the separate shower, was having so many different shelves and areas for "putting your stuff", nice lighting, lots of good items from which to choose for soap and shampoo, lots of mirrors, plenty of good towels, excellent water pressure and controls, the lovely rainforest-style shower head, nice wood-like flooring, etc. Overall, it was just the "comfort" factor in not feeling to be jammed and crunched. Below are a few of my visuals.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,033 views for these postings.

With my wide angle lens, these two visuals should give a sense of the overall space in the basic Silver Spirit bathroom for most of the balcony and Vista suites. As I re-call, the overall size of this bathroom is about 9' x 6'. The shower is a little different "shape" with an interesting bend for the glass door. The floor of the shower could use a little more gripping material. Be careful and be ready to grab a bar for stability, if needed.:

July%202017A%201616_zpsbvap0ucw.jpg

July%202017A%201617_zps17et8ewq.jpg

Bvlgari is the main brand of soap, shampoo and conditioner that I have liked most while sailing with Silversea. My wife liked and used Tuscan Soul. As I re-call, there might be one or two other options available, if needed, depending your fragrance likes and/or hates. Both Bvlgari and Tuscan Soul have caps that flip open, saving the need to screw those tops open and closed. There were two different types of Bvlgari soap bars available. Don't be shy! Talk with your Butler as to the options, personal desires, etc.:

July%202017A%201614_zpszhwiwh83.jpg

Did want to note and express my appreciation that this live/blog is now over 10,000 views. Glad so many have dropped by, asked questions, made helpful comments, etc. Keep up the great sharing!

Needing any proof as to our travel timing? Below is a visual from page 14 of our official U.S. Passport. You can see the stamps for Lisbon, etc. We also visited the United Kingdom during our enjoyable stop at St Peter Port/Guernsey. But, we did not get a passport stamp there. Yes, they drive on the "wrong" side there and have lots of Union Jacks up in this scenic/historic location.

Also shown below are a few samples from the Chronicle daily "news" and calendar of offerings and ship options. I have all of the copies from our June cruise. I will not posted all of those many pages here. BUT, if there are questions for certain ports that we visited, let me know.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 69,265 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

On page 14 of my 51-page U.S. Passport, you can see of the official stamps for entering at Lisbon via their airport, etc. Our Passport is good until November 2024 and there seems to be plenty of room/pages to do much more travel in the next seven and a half years!:

July%202017A%201615_zps1tavk2d4.jpg

Here is an example from the front of one of the Chronicles during our June Silver Spirit cruise. Second is an example for the activities posted/listed for this one port stop day in Guernsey. Third is the colorful cover for the first day when in Lisbon. Fourth is an example from the back of the Chronicle showing the details for the various opening times, etc. I really like the feature at the bottom that shows the many and various locations where the other Silversea ship are visiting in the world on that day. That wide range of ships and ports is one of the top pluses with Silversea:

July%202017A%201618_zpsnipnxp6w.jpg

July%202017A%201619_zps18p8vcwm.jpg

July%202017A%201620_zpslzq0aqe4.jpg

July%202017A%201622_zpsiox0aagj.jpg

Finally, here is, in my opinion, an example of wasted space and clutter in the Chronicle when they have these needless "plugs" and pushes trying to sell jewellry, phony art, etc. Fortunately, it is not done as separate flyer pages and/or a stuffer insert. BUT, I am not a fan for this type of commercial hype on these types of ships.:

July%202017A%201621_zpszlavoawk.jpg

Hi Terry, thank you so much for all that wonderful information:D.....I am shower person so won't need to grip anything

for the tub;).......it looks like a fabulous bathroom!.....I will try all their toiletries and see how they work for me. I have

never used those brands so hopefully it will all be great:D

As for self-service laundry? I won't be doing any of that........it is just something I will either 1) send out or 2) just wait

till I get home LOL.......but I have no desire to do laundry while on my cruise:)

Hi Terry, thank you so much for all that wonderful information.....I am shower person so won't need to grip anything for the tub.......it looks like a fabulous bathroom !.....I will try all their toiletries and see how they work for me. I have never used those brands so hopefully it will all be great. As for self-service laundry? I won't be doing any of that........it is just something I will either 1) send out or 2) just wait

till I get home LOL.......but I have no desire to do laundry while on my cruise

Appreciate this nice follow-up from Lois in Jacksonville. Glad your upcoming Europe "adventure" is getting so close. SMART!! Great idea to sample the various Silversea toiletry offerings. That is part of the fun for traveling on a luxury line like SS. Lots of lovely options to test and consider. Understand not wanting to do laundry while on vacation. We were gone for three weeks total and had "needs". Plus, at about $3 or so for each individual item, we could not quite afford to have the ship to do that work. It all worked out fine for us, but it was just a little slow and time-consuming for my wife.

On Lisbon, I earlier posted some highlight pictures from there. BUT, time during our busy travels was limited. I was not able to review ALL of my pictures and post more-detailed descriptions/background for each and everyone of these wonderful sites and sights we experienced in Portugal. Have many more picture to share here. Hope folks do not mind and are patient. Also, have more nice visuals from NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany. Don't be shy with questions, corrections, added background, etc., that you might be able to share here.

YES, we are "victims" for having traveled in spectacular regions with such wondrous history, character and charm. Hope these added items of "evidence" will prove my point and back-up these claims for loving this country where we had our first chance to experience.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

At Lisbon's Rossio Square, here is one picture off one of these attractive fountains with such charming character and history. Also, great "wavy" pavement at this central location that is more of an oval shape than a "square". Love this setting and site that has the National Theatre on its north side. This has been the "nerve center" of Lisbon for six centuries. At its central point is a statue of Dom Pedro IV, the Emperor of Brazil.:

July%202017A%201632_zpsdrhndwur.jpg

Nearby is this statue and square called Prada dos Resauradores. This soaring obelisk was erected in 1886 to celebrate Portugal's liberation from Spain in 1640. The main Rossio rail station is right nearby to this historic site at the bottom of Avenida da Liberdade.:

July%202017A%201633_zpsxiafig7b.jpg

Along Avenida da Liberdade. near our hotel was this monument to those who lost their lives in World War I. This wide and majestic boulevard was built 1879-82 in the style of the Champs-Elysees in Paris. We loved walking along this route, sampling the stylish architecture, enjoying food options, seeing interesting fountains and landscaping, etc. See the nice, colorful buildings in the background?:

July%202017A%201623_zps4kcwxywq.jpg

In the colorful and historic Alfama district of Lisbon, here is one of the structures with various "festival" decorations being up as people prepared for the night food and drink activities here. It was a great time to be visiting Lisbon during this period and with these fun celebrations.:

July%202017A%201628_zpsfm4an2ww.jpg

At the top part of Avenida da Liberdade is this statute of Marques de Pombal. Our hotel, that worked super well and had a great location, was named for this leader (who lived 1699-1782). He successfully guides the reconstruction of Lisbon after the famous and huge Nov. 1, 1755, earthquake. That disaster killed about 15,000 people and destroyed over twenty churches and so many other historic buildings in this capital city.:

July%202017A%201635_zpsfkwr0lfs.jpg

When we did our sail-away from Lisbon, this was one of the views from the Silver Spirit. This visual angle included BOTH the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos and the Monument to the Discoveries. The later was built in 1960 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator. That Portugal "star" set his nation on the path to fame and fortune through world exploration. This monument is 170 feet tall. The Mosteiro dos Jeronimos goes back to the 15th century and was one of our top highlights in visiting Lisbon. Will post more visuals and background on this monastery that was partly built to celebrate the discoveries by explorer, Vasco da Gama.:

July%202017A%201642_zpsvuhse6au.jpg

Here is round two wth more visuals from Lisbon, Portugal. So happy and fortunate that we had five days here before starting our Silver Spirit cruise on June 14. That added time allowed more time to explore BOTH Lisbon and nearby historic and scenic sights in history warm and friendly country.

While a number of earlier pictures were posted on Mosteiro dos Jeronimos that goes back to the 15th century, here are a few more visuals. Yes, this site deserves so much attention, including for its connections with famed explorer, Vasco da Gama. His remains are entombed here. This site was controlled by a religious order until 1834 when the government/Royalty took control. During the 1755 earthquake, the King and family happened to be here. That saved them from bad results as many of their main palaces in the central city were destroyed. Within the main church here, the Nave has wonderful vaulting with slender, octagonal pillars. These rise like palm trees, creating a wonderful sense of space. Having a private guide made a huge difference, both in avoiding the long lines and being able to understand ALL that is here to see. Our excellent guide was Jose Carrilho.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

Now at 52,050 views for these postings.

As we were waiting to enter the large Church of Santa Maria, here was just a small sample of the decorative art/caring on the walls. Second is a priest at the door as visitors entered and exited this religious site. It was a Sunday when we visited and a full Mass was in process as we were there. That made this visit so much more moving and meaningful.:

July%202017A%201627_zpsswrci9vy.jpg

July%202017A%201626_zpsvh95683h.jpg

Within this monastery, here is a sample of the excellent tile work artistry in its Refectory. This large room was the dining room for those at this monastery. Second is a visuals from the second floor of the two-level Cloister. Loved the delicate designs and styles with these artwork and religious designs.:

July%202017A%201625_zpsv7clyceq.jpg

July%202017A%201624_zpsc0flsqwr.jpg

From Lisbon, here is an example of a typical street scene with one of the trolly cars traveling along its tracks. This narrow street is near the Prada do Comercio square that we enjoyed so much during our first day in Lisbon.:

July%202017A%201631_zpsb5fhxp2t.jpg

This is a view of Castelo de Sao Jorge. This historic site goes back 1147 when King Afonso Henriques transformed this hill top citadel into the residence for Portugal's kings during these periods. Prior to that time, this site was the powerful location that the Moors used to control this region. This site was badly damaged during the 1755 earthquake, but it was restored by dictator Salazar in 1938.:

July%202017A%201630_zpsmucwuhum.jpg

Terry, I always welcome your recaps and pics of one favorite city, Lisbon. Thanks again!

Appreciate this wonderful follow-ups and comments from our friend in New York State. Glad to know that you love Lisbon. That being smart and savvy. Share more on what you love most about Lisbon, where, why and how!! YES, we are strong fans from our first visit there. The people, history, food, architecture, charm, culture, etc., were all so enjoyable. Tell us more!!

More pictures and details to share!! It's a tough job, but somebody must take on such exciting "burdens" and duties.

Below is more related to Santo Antonio and the great festival named for him. He lived 1195-1231 and was considered the patron saint of Lisbon. He grew up in Lisbon as a part of the Franciscan Order. He was renowned for his devotion to the poor. In 1934 Pope Pius XI made him the Patron Saint for Portugal. June 13 celebrates "St Anony" on the date of his death.

Very good "luck" for us to be in Lisbon during these activities. Earlier I posted a few visuals related to this parade with such exciting music, costumes, dancing, etc. What a "bonus" for us to have this happening right in front of our hotel along the busy and important Avenida da Liberdade.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 226,401 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As a part of the "competition" among the key neighborhoods in Lisbon, all of the stops are pulled out to come up with the best costumes, songs, dances, moving set pieces, etc. It was a great, spectacular experience to be there and enjoy!! This event is televised and after this parade finished around midnight, then the REAL PARTY started. Lots of food, drinking, etc.!! In Lisbon, the next day is a holiday and people could stay up all night having fun! No, we did not stay up night. Had to rest up for a busy trip the next day.:

July%202017A%201639_zpsjw9oemfv.jpg

July%202017A%201638_zps2ksj7oo3.jpg

July%202017A%201637_zpspjivoha6.jpg

July%202017A%201636_zps09lq5fmw.jpg

From visiting one of the Lisbon churches, here is a visual of the tiles and other religious design details. Unlike in France, the Catholic churches here are celebrated and decorated in a very "active" and highly-detailed manner.:

July%202017A%201629_zps7kkqhqi2.jpg

Along the Avenida da Liberdade, here is an example of just one "water feature" that decorates this multiple-lanes and tree-lined avenue. We had lunch at an outdoor location next to this park feature. Nice to have these sights and being under such tall shade trees.:

July%202017A%201634_zpsukwbkdcq.jpg

To finish, maybe, with my pictures from Lisbon, here are a few more "eye-candy" samples. Just kidding! Will have three to share as we did our sail-away.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,736 views for this posting.

Can't help myself in wanting to share more from the colorful St. Anthony parade/festival. I used a high ISO level of 2500 to capture this image at a 1/60th of a second at f5.3. Thought these technical details would be of interest as night shooting of action shots is not always easy or perfect. Like the blue shoes?:

July%202017A%201614_zps7xalatql.jpg

The older Alfama district of Lisbon is a must-see. Lots of narrow, interesting streets. So much history! On our first day, we saw lots here on a Tuk-Tuk tour. Do not miss this key neighborhood of Lisbon!! Like the tile work? Occupying the tallest of Lisbon's hills, the district of Alfama has the spirit and feel of distant, past times. Largely spared in the 1755 earthquake, it is a maze of narrow streets and steep steps. There are many dark taverns, flower-laden iron balconies and small squares. The number 28 tram also makes its way through these ancient streets and hills.:

July%202017A%201615_zpscjeajc2p.jpg

Inside of the Sé de Lisboa, this picture shows another angle/view reflecting the history and character of this Cathedral of Lisbon. Rated as the oldest building in Lisbon, the Romanesque lines of this Cathedral appear very austere. With castellated walls and arrow slits in the towers, it has the appearance of a fortress on the outside. Construction began on the cathedral in 1147, the same year that Lisbon was recaptured from the Moors. This Cathedral was built on the site of the Moorish main mosque. Lots of "real history" here!!:

July%202017A%201617_zpsccwbmvqh.jpg

This is the exterior for Lisbon's 17th century Church of Santa Engrácia. With its huge dome, it was designated the National Pantheon in 1966. Buried here are many of Portugal's presidents and cultural/music leaders. This includes Amalia Rodrigues, their famed fado singer.:

July%202017A%201618_zpsk2xn3loo.jpg

Unless somebody makes an added request, here are the final pictures as we were doing our fun sailing away from scenic Lisbon in heading out to the Atlantic Ocean on the Silver Spirit.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,180 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here we are passing the historic Torre de Belém (Tower of Belém). It was originally designed in 1514 as a fortress and defensive point at the estuary's mouth. As the bank has pushed out over the years, it become less of an island military post and more of a distinctive site that has earned UNESCO world heritage status. Its stonework is a major attraction with ornate balconies, Manueline rope shapes, animals and shields. Each corner boasts a sentry post in the Moorish style.:

July%202017A%201616_zps5szylerj.jpg

Here are two visuals as we approached and passed under the 25 de Abril Bridge. It connects Lisbon and the south bank of the Tagus River. It was inaugurated in 1966 and had a lower train platform added in 1999. Being a suspension bridge and with similar coloring, it is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. It was built by an American bridge company that did the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge, but not the Golden Gate. With a total length of 7470 feet, it is the 27th largest suspension bridge in the world. Its lower deck is 230 feet above the water. Yes, it is tall and very impressive when crossing under this structure during a sail-away. The upper deck carries six car/truck lanes. Until 1974, the bridge was named Salazar Bridge. After the dictator's death, the name was changed to honor the Carnation Revolution that usher out that period of Portugal's history. In both pictures, you can see in the distance, the Sanctuary of Christ the King monument and shrine. It overlooks Lisbon and was inspired by the Christ the Redeemer statue of Rio de Janeiro. The large statue was erected to express gratitude because the Portuguese were spared the effects of World War II. It was completed in 1959.:

July%202017A%201640_zpssudpuzln.jpg

July%202017A%201641_zpsrdvtfh73.jpg

Terry, We disembarked at Lisbon last year (Silver Wind) and found it a lovely city too! Our cruise was very similar to yours in reverse, started in Southampton. Bordeaux was our favorite place.

Question: our Spirit cruise in March does not have any sea days, it's 7 days of very long port days. Do you think Sheshin would be open one day for lunch? I see it listed on your Chronicle as open on embarkation day so that might be our only chance. I'm not a huge fan of sushi etc but DH would like to try it.

Thanks, Melissa

Terry, We disembarked at Lisbon last year (Silver Wind) and found it a lovely city too! Our cruise was very similar to yours in reverse, started in Southampton. Bordeaux was our favorite place. Question: our Spirit cruise in March does not have any sea days, it's 7 days of very long port days. Do you think Sheshin would be open one day for lunch? I see it listed on your Chronicle as open on embarkation day so that might be our only chance. I'm not a huge fan of sushi etc but DH would like to try it. Thanks, Melissa

Appreciate these great comments and follow-ups from MLeh and JP. YES, there is so much to love and enjoy in Lisbon and Portugal. Many reasons to want to return there!! Great posting and question from Melissa!

As I re-call that daily times listing from my Chronicle posting was during the day of our stop mid-cruise at the island off of the coast of Brittany, Belle-Île-en-Mer. Those times and options shown on that date are not always what future passengers will have each and every day. Sampling Sheshin at lunch would be smart and more economical than doing a full evening there. I would ask and talk when you get on the ship with your Butler and/or the manager in that location. See what your options might be. Even with our cruise's busy, busy port schedules, I remember walking past this dining location and seeing them setting up to serve during lunch times. I am sure there can be a "creative" way to make such a "sampling" happen. ASK!! Tell them what you desire and usually a way can be made to have your goals achieved. Keep rolling with such smart questions.

Super loved so many different parts of the Caribbean in 2015!!! See more details and many great visual samples/examples for historic San Juan, etc., at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2264847

Although I am pretty well "caught up" from our wonder times and experiences in Lisbon, there is much more to share from a couple of our great "day-trips" that we did from that base location. These private tours gave us a great sampling of added Portugal history, style, culture, life, etc.

On page one, post #10, I provided some basic background and a small sampling from visiting Fátima, etc. This includes seeing Fatima's older church and their newer Cathedral that seats 8600+ for masses, etc. We also visited historic Our Lady of Victory at Batalha. It is considered the best example of gothic architecture in Portugal. There was also time for dining at a location overlooking the Atlantic Ocean in Nazaré. Then, there was a stop at Óbidos, the medieval town surrounded by walls. Our super expert guide, Suzana, was wonderful in providing the history and details as we sampled Portugal beyond Lisbon. Below are more visuals to back up that opinion for loving these areas, too!!

At Fátima, while we are not Roman Catholic, we found this site and its historic background to be very significant and moving. This location attracts millions of Christian pilgrims. It was impressive to see people who had made this pilgrimage then doing a "walk" on their knees at this site as a way to say "thanks" for having their prayers answered. As Pope, John Paul II visited Fátima three times.

Fátima is 116 miles south of Porto and 76 miles north of Lisbon. It was on May 13, 1917, that Mary appeared to these children with the message of her Son and pointing to the need for the conversion of sinners. Mary appeared six times to the children, revealing the “Secret of Fátima ”. There were three parts that were to be made known at an appointed, future time.

That May 13, 2017, date also marked the 36th anniversary of the assassination attempt on St. John Paul II in 1981. St. John Paul II was doing his weekly tour of St. Peter’s Square in Rome when four shots were fired. Two bullets hit the Pope. He required a 5 1/2 hour surgery. A year after the attack, St. John Paul placed a bullet fragment from the attack in the crown of Our Lady of Fátima in Portugal. This popular Pope credited his survival to Our Lady of Fátima for whom he had an ardent devotion.

Lots of interesting history and background from visiting at Fátima.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 37,298 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

At Fátima in order to prepare for the May 2017 visit by Pope Francis on the 100th anniversary of the historic event there, this temporary white plastic art item was erected to represent rosary beads. It is in front of the larger, new, more contemporary Cathedral. With the contemporary iron cross on the left side, it is an impressive first impression when visiting here. Second is the view as we were getting ready to enter this new Cathedral. We were looking through this temporary art/religious design towards the older "Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima".:

July%202017A%201629_zpsa6mz4uug.jpg

July%202017A%201630_zpsl1lceyyg.jpg

At Fátima, this visual is of the middle, covered outdoor area where daily public masses are observed. It is also near where visitors light candles, etc. In the back at the right is part of the "Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima". The second picture shows more of this older sanctuary with the set-up built in front of it and used in May by the Pope to perform his large public mass for the 300,000+ who gathered here in May at Fátima.:

July%202017A%201634_zps50mam1qq.jpg

July%202017A%201633_zps5wbpzbcz.jpg

At the walled, medieval town of Óbidos, here first is an overall view of this historic and scenic location. Second is a view of one of the churches in this popular town.:

July%202017A%201632_zpsqifhom4k.jpg

July%202017A%201636_zpsnsv7nuew.jpg

Below are two more visuals from the walled, medieval town of Óbidos. We had a beautiful, sunny day to enjoy this historic and scenic location.

Next starts much more visuals on Sintra that is just 18 miles northwest of Lisbon. We visited during a private tour with Jose for this town of nearly 400,000 people. It has two important summer palaces used by the Royal families of Portugal. Sintra is about a 30 minute rail trip away and offers options to travel there on your own DIY. This would involve taking a cab up from the town at the lower level to reach the Pena Palace.

As shown earlier, we visited the Palácio da Pena. Also called the Pena Palace, it is a Romanticist castle standing on the top of the Sintra Mountains right above the town of Sintra. On a clear day, you can see the Atlantic Ocean and it can be easily seen from Lisbon. It is a colorful national monument that represents a major expressions of 19th-century Romanticism. This palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is considered one of the "Seven Wonders of Portugal". It is also used now for state occasions by the President of the Portugal. There is a vast forested area surrounding the Pena Palace.

Its history started in the Middle Ages and for many decades this site was used as a monastery. The 1755 Lisbon Earthquake took a heavy toll on this monastery, reducing much of it to ruins, except for the chapel. In 1838, King Ferdinand II acquired the old monastery, plus the nearby Castle of the Moors. He set out to transform the remains into a palace as the summer residence for the Portuguese royal family. Pena Palace has a wide range of styles matching the diverse taste of Romanticism. This eclectic mixture of styles includes Neo-Gothic, Neo-Manueline, Neo-Islamic and Neo-Renaissance. There are also ties to Portuguese buildings such as the Belém Tower at this scenic location.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 37,670 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Here are two more visuals from the walled, medieval town of Óbidos. It shows a nice outdoor dining area, plus another visual of some flowers there.:

July%202017A%201635_zpsjfjs1pkk.jpg

July%202017A%201631_zpsu40y0trw.jpg

From the Palácio da Pena in Sintra, here are three added examples to prove visually how "colorful" and creative is this Royal palace with its dramatic, hilltop location. Wow!! This was such an impressive and must-see location to have visited. The third picture includes details of a mythological triton, to symbolize the allegory for the creation of the world.:

July%202017A%201628_zpsy67wx3oh.jpg

July%202017A%201627_zpskhmssvjb.jpg

July%202017A%201626_zpsuyqb7wcs.jpg

Here is an interior view of the private dining area that the Kings and their families used as a part of the Palácio da Pena.:

July%202017A%201625_zpszmrncloc.jpg

Below is one more visual from Sintra's Pena Palace. Earlier on page one of this live/blog at #8 were posted pictures from this super colorful and interesting palace and hilltop setting.

Next below is an exterior view of the Palácio Nacional de Sintra. It is also called Palace of Sintra or the Town Palace. It is the best-preserved medieval royal residence in Portugal. This palace was inhabited mostly continuously from the early 15th century to the late 19th century. While we did not visit inside here, we did see its exterior in the heart of their downtown, shopping area and near where we had lunch on this day. On the right with the below picture, you can see the distinctive white cone-shaped towers that are unique at this location.

Also on Tuesday, June 13, we went to Cape Roca as the western most point of Europe. And, then we visited the resort areas of Cascais and Estoril.

Now at 52,050 views for these postings.

Within the Royal family apartments at the Pena Palace, here is one of the furniture pieces shown with a early-days telephone on the left side of the wall.:

July%202017A%201624_zpsqe0ghkrq.jpg

Here is my exterior picture of the Sintra National Palace. It represents the most well-preserved medieval palace in Portugal. This castle/palace dates back to the 10th century and was inhabited from the 15th to 19th centuries. While it was built in Moorish times, its architectural style is a result of rebuilding in the 1400's, etc. A mix of Gothic, Manueline, Mudéjar, and Moorish styles are present today. Plus, there are decorative ceramic tiles added to the site during the Age of Discoveries.:

July%202017A%201623_zpsgjekwqun.jpg

After Sintra and lunch there, we traveled west to Cabo da Roca or Cape Roca. This is the most western part of mainland Portugal and continental Europe. This Cape is 25n miles west of Lisbon. The second picture shows some of the granite boulders and sea cliffs along this coastal site that also features a large lighthouse. Third is a picture of one of the wild flowers growing at this site.:

July%202017A%201622_zpsd12bv9bc.jpg

July%202017A%201621_zpsfdrkzsk0.jpg

July%202017A%201620_zpslfhlu3df.jpg

Finally, here is a view of the beach and coastal structures at Cascais. This beach is called Praia da Rainha. This former fishing village became a popular resort for Portugal's royal family, the middle-classes and foreign tourists. This area is now also a suburb of Lisbon.:

July%202017A%201619_zpskzhbctg2.jpg

After departing Lisbon, our first cruise stop was in Porto, about 190 miles north along the Atlantic Ocean. As detailed on the first page of this live/blog, we super loved this great city along the Douro River. Great bridges, amazing history, excellent charm, wonderful character, unique architecture, nice people, enjoyable food, etc. It's ALL here in Porto!!

Phoenicians were here as early as the ninth century, BC!! Then, there were some early Celtic tribes, before the Romans had their important settlements here. Moors were expelled in the 11th century and Porto became a key center of commerce. In 1415, Henry the Navigator departed Porto to conquer a Muslim port in northern Morocco. This expedition led to the exploratory voyages down the coast of Africa and later world exploring/wealth/power. In many ways, Porto was THE heart for much in this once-powerful Portugal kingdom. Our brief visit allowed us to see many important sights, ride up and down this scenic river, tour and taste at a Port wine warehouse, etc. Here below are some more visual images to document the beauty and glory that we enjoyed in Porto.

The Douro River is the third-longest for the Iberian Peninsula at 557 miles in length. Only the Tagus and Ebro are longer in this part of the world. This river has a microclimate that allows for olive and almond production, plus being especially good especially for great grapes. These grapes produce their famous and well-respected Port wines. The regions around Pinhao and Sao Joao da Pesqueira are considered to be the centers for Port wine production.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 33,220 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are some added Douro River scenes in and around Porto. First shows some of the colorful buildings near where many tour boats departed to travel this river. In the background at the left, you can one of the many large, arched bridges that cross this river. The second picture is a large residential structure with its balconies facing this river. The third visual shows how there are some sky cars traveling along this river area. The large roofs with the tile coverings are of the warehouses used to store barrels of port wines before it is later shipped out.:

July%202017A%201643_zpstinn3y74.jpg

July%202017A%201639_zpsidvmm1m5.jpg

July%202017A%201644_zpsnllrshot.jpg

Along the Douro River is this historic church, below is one of the oldest in Porto that we saw during our sailing along this famed waterway. It is named Igreja Matriz de Massarelos. It goes back to the 1700's and was was founded by a fishing guild (Brotherhood of Souls do Corpo Santo Massarelos).:

July%202017A%201641_zpsgieaysvf.jpg

Shown is Jardim do Infante Dom Henrique. Or, in English, it is a monument to Prince Henry the Navigator. It is near where we boarded our boat to travel the Douro River. This statue represents so much of the great design and character with their public art and architecture!!:

July%202017A%201638_zpsskyscpsy.jpg

Here is an example of an older-styled boat sailing the Douro River. It is styled to look like the ships that traveled this river carrying port wine barrels from the vineyards down to the Porto warehouses. In the background is one of these large warehouse structures that line this opposite side of the busy river.:

July%202017A%201642_zpsejctapz6.jpg

Here is the second part of the added visuals from Porto that had not been posted previously on this live/blog. As mentioned earlier, we did not just "like" Porto. It was a super "LOVE AFFAIR" with this town, its character, style, churches, etc., during our one-day visit to Porto.

We definitely would want to spend more time in Porto. So much to see and do here!! There is a good reason as to why so many different, recent top travel articles have been glowing in their praise for Porto and citing it as a rising world-class travel star.

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 183,736 views for this posting.

Here is the exterior for not just one great churches, but actually two, Igreja das Carmelitas (left) and Igreja do Carmo (right). These twin churches are separated only by a one-meter-wide house that was once the dividing line between the monks of Carmo and the Carmelite nuns. Dating to the 17th century, these classical facades front for interiors with lavish, gilded naves and spectacular interiors. On the side, you can see some of the blue tiles used to decorate this exterior side.:

July%202017A%201647_zpslaan8g8a.jpg

In addition to my earlier pictures for these two churches, below is another interior angle/view.:

July%202017A%201645_zpsl58ec1zj.jpg

This is one of the historic trolley cars near these two churches in Porto.:

July%202017A%201646_zpshjujf80f.jpg

As we walked through their main downtown area, this is an example of the unique design details seen on many of the buildings there in Porto.:

July%202017A%201648_zpssy6t0m6q.jpg

At Liberdade Square that is in front of the Porto City Hall, here is a view of the equestrian statue of King Pedro IV with some elegantly-styled buildings in the background.:

July%202017A%201637_zps6ugbkmyr.jpg

During our boat trip on the Douro River, we were getting ready to go under one of several large arch bridges. Shown is the bridge originally designed by some French guy named Eiffel. Yes, that Gustave Eiffel!! It is know as the Ponte Maria Pia. It was built in 1877 as a railway bridge. This wrought iron, double-hinged, crescent arch spanned 1,158 feet. At the time of its construction, it was the longest single-arched span in the world. It is no longer used, but is preserved for its historic significance. Plus, it looks great! It is often confused with the two-level Dom Luís I Bridge that was built nine years later and is about a half mile to the west. In the background is the newer concrete bridge used for rail traffic now.:

July%202017A%201640_zpsrfigdlks.jpg

Nice pics and writeup, Terry! Portugal is really a great destination and we're hoping to revisit some time. Glad you enjoyed it!

Appreciate this nice follow-up and the kind comments from the wise and seasoned J.P. from New York State. YES, glad you mentioned about the "write-ups". Having more time, now that we are back home, makes it easier to include a wide range of details and history connected with many of these key sights. It's fun and enlightening to dig deeper on those "details" and share more about what we learned as we traveled with skilled guides there. Agree on wanting to re-visit there at a future time.

Regarding Porto, earlier I had shared on another board about two different major stories singing the praise for this charming and historic town in Portugal. Thought that I would share those details and the links here.

From the Seattle Times in December, they had this headline: "The top travel destinations for 2017" with these highlights: "Porto, Portugal, was named to Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2017 list. Long overlooked in favor of neighbors France, Germany, Spain and Italy (some of which are showing decreased tourism because of safety concerns), Portugal is now turning heads in record numbers. U.S. travel to Portugal was up 20 percent in 2016. According to Allianz Global, travel to Lisbon alone was up 29 percent. Travel + Leisure named Portugal their 2016 Destination of the Year, and both Lisbon and Porto found spots on Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2017 list. We love sampling sweet port wine along the river in Porto, taking village-bound day trips to catch the freshest seafood dishes, and grabbing a quality meal for two with a bottle of wine for less than 20 euros."

From the New York Times Travel Section in January 2016, they had this headline: "36 Hours in Porto, Portugal" with this sub-headline: "From its Beaux-Arts station to its cool bars serving Porto’s signature drink, this charming city combines the best of old and new."

Here are some of the story highlights: "Stunning 18th- and 19th-century buildings, new indie bars and restaurants and a laid-back vibe, facilitated by the excellent wine — it’s hard to find anything to dislike about Porto. Its walkable center is crammed with cobbled streets and balconies adorned with flowerpots, and the city’s love of food and design is apparent in concept stores and trendy restaurants offering innovative small plates. An ideal day in Porto combines both the grandeur of its history and its very up-to-the-minute cool. A short walk from the São Bento rail station are two establishments patronized by Porto’s sweets-loving citizens. Confeitaria Serrana, a family-run bakery for over 40 years, serves the city’s best bola de Berlim (1.10 euros, or $1.16 at $1.06 to the euro), a dose of custard sandwiched in a sugar-dusted roll. At nearby Cremosi, the superb local gelato comes in boozy flavors, including port and gin and tonic."

Here is one of their many suggestion that we were able to enjoyed in Porto: "It’s worth taking the time to examine the São Bento station. Over a century old, the interior of the Beaux-Arts building is decorated with azulejos, the exquisite blue and white tiles for which Portugal is famous."

Lots of ideas and potentials are outlined in this helpful profile with a good map, many pictures, etc. Loved sampling Porto in June!! Please share any of your experiences, ideas and tips from Porto.

Full stories at:

http://www.seattletimes.com/nwshowcase/journeys/the-top-travel-destinations-for-2017/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/01/28/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-porto-portugal.html?_r=0

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580