What food is available on Mahagony Bay?

TheTravelista

There are two restaurant/bars at the beach. Hurricane Hole and Hideaway (IIRC). Serve typical "Caribbean style" food-jerk chicken, fish, etc.-and hamburgers hot dogs and such as well as nachos and other bar noshes. Been there for years (since opening) surprised jaydublax missed them.

Edited by crewsweeper

There are two restaurant/bars at the beach. Hurricane Hole and Hideaway (IIRC). Serve typical "Caribbean style" food-jerk chicken, fish, etc.-and hamburgers hot dogs and such as well as nachos and other bar noshes. Been there for years (since opening) surprised jaydublax missed them.

Exactly what I needed to know, thank you!!

Don't remember the prices of drinks, but they were reasonable.

The restaurants are all independent. I am sure they have to pay a fee to the cruise line in order to sell there, just like the vendors...but they are all locals.

One wonders if the locals own the businesses in Mahogany Bay or if they work for Carnival, or do they own the businesses and lease space from Carnival. Perhaps it depends on the business.

Seems a conversation with a few staff is in order. :)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yep could make for some interesting snooping over a few bottles of Salva Vida.

As I recall, the local pol owned the land around Dixon Cove, and had kicked out or didn't renew the eco-camper's lease. So what I don't know is what share of the place is Carnival's and what share goes to the locals (probably needed for Honduran law compliance). But surely the shops are leased by locals not owned by the MBCC corp.

Some of the shops are obviously owned by the cruise lines,..... but many are obviously not. The same vendors are set up in the large building at one end, all the little stalls, as you find out around the island.... coffee company, chocolate company, wood carvings by various small companies, mostly family operations.

Ditto the restaurants, Fat Tuesdays, etc, are owned by cruise ships...but the litttle guys with the grills sitting under palm trees by the beach are not. Ditto the little drink stands along the beach.

Yes.... over by the beach, a couple of places.... it looked and smelled fantastic! We had already eaten lunch at Maya Key excursion, or we would have bought there.

2014_Carnival_Roatan304.JPG

For those of you have been to carnivals mahogany bay..I have some questions. When you get off the ship...Is it walking distance to the beach? Do you just pick a spot yourself . Are there loungers all around for guests to use? Is the boat close enough where you can just walk back to the boat for lunch ? What other things are there to do while here. Can you rent paddle boards or jet skis? Any info will help on those been there. Thanks !

• 5 months later...
For those of you have been to carnivals mahogany bay..I have some questions. When you get off the ship...Is it walking distance to the beach? Do you just pick a spot yourself . Are there loungers all around for guests to use? Is the boat close enough where you can just walk back to the boat for lunch ? What other things are there to do while here. Can you rent paddle boards or jet skis? Any info will help on those been there. Thanks !

Yes, you can easily walk to and from!

Loungers are free. Clamshells are paid for on the ship as an excursion. Walk right from ship to beach, maybe 1/4 mile.

There are paddleboats and kayaks for rent, no jetskis as the water is full of people.