Slow Service at the Bars on Celebrity Reflection

Redhouse123

We have previously had some issues with bar service on the Eclipse (but never a problem at the fun Martini Bar), and there are some strategies that can work to make a point and solve the problem. Yes, once can go to Guest Relations and complain...and they will not your complaint which will be forwarded to the Beverage Manager. You might feel a little better...but may not have solved the problem. You can certainly tweet although we doubt in anyone aboard is reading tweets.

Our method is to politely shame the staff (not in front of other passengers). If I am at a bar, and the staff is simply talking to each other and ignoring the patrons I will go up to them and say, "excuse me, but is there anyone who can help me get a drink?" If we are sitting at a table in a bar/lounge and the wait staff is not to be seen...or never comes to our table...I will wait about 10 minutes. But if there is still no service I simply walk up to the bar, quietly tell the bar tender we have been waiting at such and such table for 10 min and cannot get any service...and would he/she be so kind as to make our drinks. What will usually happen is the bartender will suggest I go back to my table and he will have somebody bring over our drinks. The last time we did this was on the Eclipse....and the following night when we were in that same lounge we were quickly greeted by the server who gave us great service. She even went out of her way to stop by our table every few minutes to ask if we needed anything.

The bar staff works very long hours and crew morale can vary depending on management. Being polite, but also making it clear you expect decent service, is an art...but can be done in such as way as to make your point...without anyone getting too upset. We also like to befriend bar staff (when they are not too busy) and learn about their family, how many contracts...etc. This goes a long way towards getting great service...as most staff will go out of their way for those they like. I will also mention that we have been on many cruises (well over 100) with and without drink packages...and have never noticed degradation of service that we thought was due to drink packages. On the S Class ships we have always been blown away by the great service (and fun) at the Martini Bar...and have also had great service at the World Bar.

Last year on the Eclipse, they had set up 2 temporary bar areas just inside the main theater so that folks could get their own drinks before or during shows. One could go sit in their seat and wait until a waiter came around (they were few and far between) or you could simply stop and get your own drink. We did the latter, and while chatting with the bar tender (as he poured my scotch) I mentioned that I wished he had a decent single malt at that temporary bar. He asked what I liked and I told him. The next night when I went to him to get a drink....he broke into a grin and pulled out a bottle of my single malt. The saying that one can usually get more with honey....does apply. But there are also times when you need to be firm...and demand the proper service to which you are entitled.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We were on Sillouette in April. That was my only gripe was bar service. The bartenders that were there worked their tails off. But always seemed one to two people short.

Martini bar was fun but alot of people seemed disgusted at the wait. I am a very patient person but many times I had to always wait. I realize I am not the only cruiser on the ship.

But Celebrity needs to add more help. All in all we like Celebrity...

Of course no bar can serve until open but the people behind the bar could have told the customer nicely that they were not open..That would have been Good customer service!

In a perfect world, you are right. Remember that the employees are all non-American and not all have the same good customer service we expect.

If the OP was sitting at one end of the bar and saw 4 bartenders at the other end not acknowledging her, she could have politely asked for her Cokes by just saying, "Excuse me, may I order?". She either would have been served right away or told it was not open yet. No reason to sit there stewing and then storming away when finally acknowledged.

This has been an ongoing problem on Reflection. I was on the Reflection in December of 2016. Had the Same problem. I even made a note on it on my comment card and when they sent me a post cruise survey. I never heard anything back from the company. I also made a point of it on my trip review on here when I got back. My observations were. They move like slugs. I have been in much busier bars and clubs and never have to wait as long as I do in a very near empty or empty venue while on Reflection. The excuse of the drink packages is the reason service is so slow. Is a not an excuse. The excuse of how slow they move might it because the tips are already guaranteed now, because of the drink Packages. I also had the bar staff ignore me on more than one occasion. Or would walk up to a bar and they wouldn't look around kept serving one area of the bar even if they walked up after me. This all falls on the Beverage managers Fault for not properly training and not being present out on the ship to see what is going on. Plus I also observed When you give them your card it seems like it took 30 seconds or more of button pushing and card swiping just for one drink. That is a IT department issue. They should be able to swipe your card and hit one button and be done with it. I'm not a professional bar tender, but I know you should be able to server simple beers in a bottle while the blender is going in the background. I seen a lot of a bartender just stand there watching the blender spin instead of at least asking next in line what they want. A good bartender can do all this. Just my observations. This seems like it is a Reflection issue. I would say it is time to find a new Beverage Manager

First, I would wonder if the Sky Lounge bar was officially open at the time the OP had her issue. It seems unrealistic that there would just be two patrons at the bar if it was open for business.

If so, the OP just had to speak up and announce what she wanted. Perhaps the bartender thought the OP was just sitting. If you are planning to have more than one drink at a bar, hand a $1 tip to the bartender or server with your first drink. There will be no wait time for your second drink.

A small tip works better than a complaint. If you have the money to take a cruise, you have the money for small tips.

The bartender will remember the tip. He ALSO remembers complaints!

Why would four bartenders be standing around just talking if the bar wasn't open yet? I could understand it if they were setting up maybe so. Or at least acknowledge the customer and mention that they're not open yet. Besides someone has to be first to a venue. The OP happened to be the unfortunate one.

One other question. How can the OP tip for service if they couldn't get the first drink?