Anyone else having problems saving picture of cruise route to computer and open it??

Alphen

Having trouble saving a cruise route map to my computer and trying to open it afterwards. Problem only occurs with pictures from Holland America site and only recently. Funny thing is that pictures of older routes I saved earlier are still fine, new ones not, does not matter which cruise or which viewer I use on my PC??

Anyone else have this problem?

What's the ship and sailing date? I'll see if I can troubleshoot it for you.

Turns out, it is every cruise. Found it out at a cruise for 2018/2019, but tried it at the first available cruise (Koningsdam tomorow) and same there.

For trouble shooting, I discovered that file normally is indicated as JPEG with dimensions, but the HAL routes are saved as JPEG without dimensions!

Previously saved routes are JPEG with dimensions and are fine and in case you are wondering, any other file on the interweb is correctly saved in the same manner as JPEG, WITH dimensions and opens fine!

I see the same problem using Chrome. Different viewers fail with error messages containing words like unsupported, damaged, corrupted, and invalid. Suggest you do a screen grab.

edit: it works OK with Firefox

Edited by jtl513

Having trouble saving a cruise route map to my computer and trying to open it afterwards. Problem only occurs with pictures from Holland America site and only recently. Funny thing is that pictures of older routes I saved earlier are still fine, new ones not, does not matter which cruise or which viewer I use on my PC??

Anyone else have this problem?

I did a quick check of one image and had no problem. What OS are you using (Windows, Mac, Linux)? And what version? Could be a clue there.

Here's what I did (Using FireFox for Windows, but also tested on Chrome.) Run a search for the cruise you want. I used September + K'dam. When you see the itinerary list, click the map. That will open the pop-up window with the map. Right click the map. You should see a pop-up dialog box with the choice to Save Image As...

E7N30S.jpg

The dimensions are defined in the CSS stylesheet with the class modalImg, but that really shouldn't matter. Dimensions aren't defined in the JPEG file format. Your browser and operating system calculate them by reading data markers (like SOF) in the file. If you don't get the pop up when you right-click the image, let me know. I'll also need to know what browser and OS you're using. Hope this helps.

Took some work, I was using WIndows10 with Chrome, could not get it to work, with Edge it worked and also with Firefox, so the problem is with Chrome. Wheter the change lies with Chrome or with HAL, I do not know, but I got the pictures.

Thanks for the input and help :D

I discovered the same problem with the same map (Maasdam Feb 25 SD-SD). It will not open. I pried around and got a message that the (format) does not match standard Bit mapping. I did find the map for the same cruise we took a few years ago on Statendam. The port sequence looks the same. If I can figure out how to post it, I'll send it along.

I tried saving a map using Windows 10 with both Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox had no issues but with Chrome I cannot open the image. These errors were given:

iva2jp.jpg

2zhqnvl.jpg

What's the URL of the source page? My guess is that the jpg file had some bad data between the blocks, but I'll need to see the file.

It should be noted that the image file that wouldn't open actually will open if you drag and drop it back into Chrome. And as the error message says, it isn't really a JPG, but rather a WEBP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP

Note especially the Support section, and most especially the second paragraph there, which outlines which graphics software supports the format natively.

Search for "webp to jpg" for converters (or just download the image using a browser that doesn't support webp, as outlined in the Support section of the wikipedia page linked above: the website would have to provide the image to you in a different format with such browsers).

It should be noted that the image file that wouldn't open actually will open if you drag and drop it back into Chrome. And as the error message says, it isn't really a JPG, but rather a WEBP:

Again, please supply the URL to the page with the problem - or at least tell me the ship and sailing date. I looked at the HTML code for a couple of pages, and the files are jpeg.

Again, please supply the URL to the page with the problem - or at least tell me the ship and sailing date. I looked at the HTML code for a couple of pages, and the files are jpeg.
https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-search?ships=MA&months=2_2018&durations=17_200&departures=SAN&portsOfCall=SJD&skip=0&cfVer=1

However, as others indicated above, it's all of them. Clearly, they're determining the capability of your browser and delivering the thinnest version of the image file that your browser can handle.

Here's the image address: https://www.hollandamerica.com/images/itineraryMaps/detail/S8S28W.jpg

As you can see, the file is delivered as a jpg, even if it isn't (i.e., even if is a webp). So the HTML will be the same regardless of whether you're being given a jpg or a webp. The only difference is the file itself, and again, Chrome can display webp's, even if they have a jpg file extension.

enhanceAs I said, I sort of resolved the problem by using another browser with my Windows 10, Firefox instead of Chrome, where the problem still is.

Looking at the downloaded files, with the same file, difference is clear, top file is downloaded with Firefox, lower one with Chrome, they are the same files, but only the one downloaded with Firefox has dimensions attached and I can open this in any viewer, the bottom one is useless!

That image also shows why they do this. The webp version of the image is a full 11k smaller then the jpeg version. That may not seem like a lot but multiply it by all the simultaneous users hitting the website at the same time and it adds up.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Well, I hit my own bugaboo today when I was working on the Bon Voyage thread.

I always just right click the map and I can copy the link and it shows up beautifully on the thread.

Today, instead of the maps showing all I got was "Oosterdam - June 30". I was using Edge and have been for some time. This is the first time I have hit this.

So, I went on Chrome and right clicked the same map and the itinerary worked as usual. Go figure.

I've been on Windows 10 forever so I'm not sure if it's Edge, HAL site has all of a sudden decided it doesn't like it or what. But Chrome did the trick for me today.