Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

3 cabin changes -- and I was dreading just 1. The good news is that if you are changing from one veranda to another, they will just take the drawers and swap them out. If you are changing from Veranda to Silver or vice versa, it's a bit more complicated.

I'm actually going from deck 4 to deck 6, back to 4, and then finally finishing on deck 6 again. (All the same floor-plan cabins on the Shadow; the only difference is the cabins on deck 4 don't have a veranda.)

I was sort of hoping that I could slip my butler a few bucks (one end or the other) and stay out of the whole thing... What do you think?

Good Early Morning from neat the North Cape!

Yes, Mr. Silver it was cool yesterday morning in Tromso (about 8C/47F) but it warmed up to low 50's and the sun popped out about 9pm :) during dinner.

Thanks Spinnaker2/Candy, we passed on the Artic Garden as we returned a little late from our excursions--Ida was ecstatic with her Walk with Huskies but somewhat tired after controlling her strong Husky during the walk.

Today, we are both doing the North Cape Tour the northern most tip of Europe. We look forward to experiencing the rugged landscape.

948de6707c223a5edb6cf7398fefd9cd.jpg

39ceea65c63a3b420fe9d70440c43ae2.jpg

0ebbb846756fd6585a8ebc7de5808fc0.jpg

f8d0b3ffd51b0ad2b854d8232f9e588f.jpgb63336c804f7a7b94bf590f87f0eedc3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

The Silversea Silver Wind, Captain Arma changed our course so we could get much closer to the stunning erupting sheer granite cliffs of the Northcape--we passed the northern most tip of Europe.

And as the first snap show, the Silver Wind crew beverage service is going above & beyond in near 40 degree weather.

We are scheduled to arrive in Honningsvad in about half an hour.

4c3d17238d73e307fa37e79ddcef5b4e.jpg

2535af372189a6cac917cd0fd8ef46e1.jpg

I had little interest in this area until seeing this thread. Your wonderful descriptions and pictures have me wanting to plan a trip... and we haven't even gone on our first cruise yet!

Thank you. Returning to lurking now :)

Wes just loving your photos and posts. Very envious of Ida with the huskies. This cruise is on our radar for future and when you read your posts and see the photos it makes it all the more appealing.

Have a great day in your next port. Jean.

I had little interest in this area until seeing this thread. Your wonderful descriptions and pictures have me wanting to plan a trip... and we haven't even gone on our first cruise yet!

Here is another forum topic you might enjoy reading from Norway. This one was on the Silver Cloud.

Keep up the great work Wes!

Live/Silver Cloud: Norway Coast/Fjords July 1-16 Reports

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_tid=1227923&share_pid=25023581&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D25023581&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes, George did not have his cowboy hat on; therefore, might as well of been naked. He kept beating on the door till I finally woke up and let him back in, but apparently one older lady did see him in the hall before I cam to the rescue.

Here is another forum topic you might enjoy reading from Norway. This one was on the Silver Cloud.

Keep up the great work Wes!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=24703&share_tid=1227923&share_pid=25023581&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboards%2Ecruisecritic%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Fp%3D25023581&share_type=t

Thanks for this link! It took a while to read through it all, but WOW! Norway is beautiful! Between these two trip reports and the hot, humid summer here, I'm ready to hop on the next cruise to Norway!

Napria, liptastic/Jean, Stumblefoot/Brain; Thanks so much for your too kind words about our Wind thread---we truly enjoy sharing. Brian, alas the King Crab feast tour was canx'd. So, we had a wonderful Northcape excursion.

We had a terrific visit to the North Cape and enjoyed almost perfect weather. Our guide told us last month a German was opening a bottle of Champagne at the Globe, when asked why he was celebrating, he told the guide this is his 11th trip to the North cape and he can finally see the northern most tip of Europe.

So, we were so fortunate to have a beautiful sunny day in the Northkapp (North Cape in Norwegian) at about 55F/11C.

We enjoyed seeing the Children of the World monument (where seven children each from a different nation (Soviet Union, USA, Italy, Tanzania, Japan, Brazil) met here in 1989 to celebrate Collaboration, Happiness, friendship and hope. The Children of the World monument is the setting now for the annual (lucrative) Children of the World prize to the organization or project that works to improve the conditions of life for Children.

Ida is standing next to the monument and also adjacent the Mother and Child Sculpture by the Norwegian artist Eva Rybakken.

Both of us are in front of the Globe,built in 1977 and is the recognized symbol for the North Cape.

You also see Ida standing in front of King Oscars monument--a memorial stone dedicated by King Arthur II of Norway in Sweden in 1873 the mark the outermost limit of the union.

As we returned from the North cape we passed a herd of Reindeer.

Wes often wears one of his US Army (Retired) hats to not only reflect his pride in service but to share the military as a good opportunity for service. So, regularly Wes (when the person is young enough to have late teen age children) forcefully recommends military or any national service as a good option for young adults. Thus, for the first time was asked by a middle aged Norwegian when on the pier walking to the Wind (Bent was the senior security staffer) if I retired from the Army. He then proceeded to thank me for my service as he proudly told me he also served (as an 18 year old (part of Norway's national two year service requirement) in 1969 in the Gulf of Saigon/Vietnam serving in the Navy. Bent then served about 15 years on the border of Russian for the Norwegian Army. First time was ever thanked by an international military member for service.

Lastly, on returning through security we were welcomed warmly by the Wind's butlers and senior Wind officer staff.

c956838efc2275a2bfe2c36fa6b737ff.jpg

b12513e900379a3c98bf19ba730684c2.jpg

b55d7fd8611e10863ea96d1aea5dc4bb.jpg

8b7c5ce111b42371404c58e43d8c1512.jpg

e24fd5d89394dbe5ed179b9402ba29ce.jpg

0640dc470c043af18ec33cdc3e63305a.jpg

Edited by WesW

And more Northcape, Norway snaps taken yesterday during our Silver Wind Northcape excursion. Final few pix are of the Norwegian Security officer who stopped me to thank me for my Army Retired service and showed me his wrist band that he was so proud of his Russian Border Norwegian Army service. Finally photo is of us in the main bar before heading to the Restaurant with the CruiseDirector, Big Bob and new cruise friend Sally for another delish dinner.

Today, is another Seaday where we will enjoy another enrichment lecture by Capt. (Retired) William Wells on the ports of Trondom, Bodo, and Molde. Chef David will put on a cooking demonstration Salmon Three Ways, and we will enjoy our Venetian dinner for our second formal nite with new cruise friends, Gary and Barb.

f210dea64e2252c8a625a376fb650027.jpg

ef58a262ddcd648a28a8d814498aedee.jpg

90d9de1d4a8c55281684738c4faf660a.jpg

605f8b547f36763a134b4d03291683cd.jpg

1ec1e46a96e641d20a44391e8762a0bc.jpg

Edited by WesW

Randkyk47/Randy; glad you are enjoying our snaps/posts--and we love the Wind crew too. Pls let me know if there is any crew you would

like to say hello too.

Rachel; bet George now checks the door twice when he leaves a hotel room to make sure he does not get locked out.

We are no enjoying another seaday enroute to our next Norwegian port of call, Bodo. It is near 60F, we have blue skies with the sun

shinning--gorgeous day. For the first time, the veranda in La Terraza had numerous couples enjoying breakfast outside.

Hope to prepare another Silver Wind crew profiles today, HD Lester is working to help me interview the Engine crew members. Will

profile Albert, Main Bar--Bartender today. He is at the end of his contract and is just about a week+ from seeing his wife at his home

in the Philippines.

Will

profile Albert, Main Bar--Bartender today. He is at the end of his contract and is just about a week+ from seeing his wife at his home

in the Philippines.

Told ya he was off on the 31 July to go home. He said to us he would be still looking to work in the cruise industry, but wanted something that wouldn't mean being away from his wife and family for so long. It sounds a glamorous life "seeing the world" but there sure are sacrifices back at home doing so.

Albert is probably (arguably) the most well known and recognisable member of Silver Wind staff and truly an asset. Really would have loved to have seen him off in London if it had worked out. Give him our regards and apologies for "missing the boat" with our late application.

As you'd suggested "requests".... mine is for Egbert. (Assuming he still is on board and serving in La Terrazza still?)

PS ... super thread .... super photos .... and exactly what this forum is all about. It's hard to imagine anyone not being drawn to sail on this cruise or similar itinerary. I certainly will be doing so with maybe the odd "city breaks" to Norway to do so.

Keep it up .... and may the weather gods allow the return of the shorts! :-)

Edited by les37b

Les, thanks very much for your very kind words--simply, posting from the passionate heart reflecting the joy we are experiencing on board. Speaking of Albert, please see below.

We enjoyed another L'ecole des Chef's cooking demonstration this morning by Chef David. David demonstrated how to prepare Salmon Three ways. Please enjoy a few pictures taken at this mornings session:

Silverseas Silver Wind Crew Member profile

Today, am very pleased to introduce one of the most personal, probably the most efficient bartenders we have experienced on Silversea--Albert.

Albert is a member of the Silver Wind Bar Team of 12 folks. The Bar team has three bartenders,

Five waiters and four pool deck stewards. Albert is the Main Bar's bartender in the evening and he runs the pool bar during the day.

Albert has been with Silversea since 2010 and has nearly seven years service with Silversea.

Albert is married to the beautiful Girlie, they have two children a boy now 18 and a girl who

Is nine years old. Albert keeps in touch with his family in the Philippines through internet and he is thankful Silversea now provides all crew members 30 minutes of free internet daily.

When asked what he likes best when working on a Silversea ship (his favorite ships are the Cloud and the Wind to tend bar on), Albert warmly responds, "working on Silversea is like working at home, when I'm working, it does not feel like I'm working." Further, when asked what is the hardest aspect of working on board, Albert sincerely answered, "Nothing I do on Silversea is hard to do--it is a pleasure to work on board." Albert did tell me he is most busy running the pool deck bar at lunch on sea days (i.e., like today when the sun is shining and temperature is inviting the sun worshippers).

b7fefd645b0cfaa8596c147b72080c3c.jpg

e813e59bd74e3a25ef1bea78b819f192.jpg

dc3c41334d0e293ce78c1ebd6144d741.jpg

2ea4cec50b20df992250cd704b793d08.jpg

Wes, what Albert has said in your chat is very much on a par with what I might have expected him to say. SS staff generally all give that bit beyond what you might expect, but Albert just more so! Nothing is too much trouble and always happy to prepare you that "special" drink to try.

That said..... he did tell us martinis can be a chore as they can take a long time when there is a run of them to do.

We got the nearest thing to a frown from Albert when we both cheekily asked for Martinis before that warm smile returned and appreciated we were pulling his leg. And it wasnt really a frown... a simple look of surprise we'd asked for something different.

Wes

Thanks for all the photo's. If possible would you pass on our greetings (Mr. John & Mrs Joy) to Albert. It is many years since we met and I still hope that some day our paths will cross again.

Thank you

Thanks for this link! It took a while to read through it all, but WOW! Norway is beautiful! Between these two trip reports and the hot, humid summer here, I'm ready to hop on the next cruise to Norway!

Appreciate the continued great and interesting pictures and reports from Wes. These continue to bring back wonderful memories from our Norway adventure on the Silver Cloud in 2010. Fortunately, you had clear weather at the North Cape. As a caution for others doing these areas in the future, weather conditions up there can change. Even during a short period of time. We went from seeing great puffins and other interesting birds near there in perfect sunshine to getting huge fog that made visibility near impossible. Be flexible as to your planning for Norway.

It was nice and kind of Stumblefoot to provide the link to my live/blog. Sorry for napria that my postings are somewhat long and involved. BUT, that is the "good news" that there is so much to see and do along these scenic Norway coastal areas.

Great sharing by Wes with the many Norway locations, plus the excellent reporting about the staff. Keep up the excellent postings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,044 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry (and Wes and anyone else posting cruise reports) never apologize for lengthy threads. They are like a good book; a pleasure to read and bittersweet to finish reading. I'm sure the actual cruise is the same, only more so.

I had to come back out of lurking mode to say that I'll be really excited to read a profile of the ship's engineers. My grandfather and his brother were engineers on United Fruit Company boats in the 1920's. my grandfather was the Chief Engineer for a while. He and my grandmother came from Belfast, Ireland and I've heard many stories of grandfather and great uncle Charlie being out at sea for long periods of time while great aunt Martha and grandmother raised my father and their other children at home in Brookline, MA.

Also, Wes, please tell Ida she's my fashion inspiration. She always looks beautiful! And she always has a beautiful smile. You both look so happy in every picture:)

Anne