Review of Silhouette Nov 2016 Transatlantic

tweetylori

I just noticed your review and it was the best I've read. Thank you for all of the work.

We went to Rome on the Connie in 2016 and stayed in Rome for 4 days. Loved it so much that we are about to sail on the Reflection to Rome. Will only get to stay 2 days but already are signed up for 2018 and will stay a week in Rome at the end for our 50th anniversary, God willing.

Thanks again and for all of the pictures!

Wow....just spent parts of the last 3 days reading your review..Thank-you!! Great ideas and insights. Taking a mediterranean cruise on the Silhouette in the fall and am now even more excited than ever.

Thank you so much for letting me know you found it useful. That means a lot! Especially gratifying if it helped you get more excited for what I'm sure will be an amazing journey for you!

I just noticed your review and it was the best I've read. Thank you for all of the work.

We went to Rome on the Connie in 2016 and stayed in Rome for 4 days. Loved it so much that we are about to sail on the Reflection to Rome. Will only get to stay 2 days but already are signed up for 2018 and will stay a week in Rome at the end for our 50th anniversary, God willing.

Thanks again and for all of the pictures!

Thank you very much for your kind words! How exciting to have experienced Rome for 4 whole days! And even better that you have more fabulous times ahead. Can't think of a better way to spend anniversaries...congrats!

Lori,

Your review was terrific. We are doing this same TA this coming November. Our first TA and so looking forward to

It. Stressing about what type of clothes/jackets, etc to bring (ports, crossing). Any suggestions ( and from experienced TA cruisers also) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vicky

Lori,

Your review was terrific. We are doing this same TA this coming November. Our first TA and so looking forward to

It. Stressing about what type of clothes/jackets, etc to bring (ports, crossing). Any suggestions ( and from experienced TA cruisers also) would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vicky

Thank you, and I'm so excited for you! As for clothing suggestions, I will tell you that I found the ship interior main areas (dining rooms, bars, etc) to be quite cool. I was surprised by that. As for the ports, in our case, we had light jacket type weather. We had some rainy days. Never needed winter coats. We had a couple days on the ship that were sunny and warm (pina colada weather). I think you could really run into about anything. Layers are your friend!

loving your pics, France looks wonderful in the sunshine. ( future ref, F = femme = women and H= homme= man) now you know but good guess anyways... :-) I had the same scallops crudo and then trout as you on our TA on Eclipse! Great minds. Glad you enjoyed Lucca, it's so gorgeous.

Mrs Ighten

loving your pics, France looks wonderful in the sunshine. ( future ref, F = femme = women and H= homme= man) now you know but good guess anyways... :-) I had the same scallops crudo and then trout as you on our TA on Eclipse! Great minds. Glad you enjoyed Lucca, it's so gorgeous.

Mrs Ighten

Thanks for your comments and info Mrs lghten! Hope you liked the scallop crudo a lot better than I did :p

OP;

I just came across your review and wanted to say I very much enjoyed reading it. One of the best reviews with pictures I've ever read. It got me really excited for the 2018 T/A we have booked, and hopefully will be able to sail, on the Reflection in October of 2018.....:):):)

Bob

OP;

I just came across your review and wanted to say I very much enjoyed reading it. One of the best reviews with pictures I've ever read. It got me really excited for the 2018 T/A we have booked, and hopefully will be able to sail, on the Reflection in October of 2018.....:):):)

Bob

So kind of you to say so, Bob, tx! How wonderful to have that TA to look forward to!

• 2 weeks later...

I did a search for Silhouette reviews and yours was the first one that popped up. Wonderful trip report, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share it with the rest of us. LOVED hearing all about the ship, and very much enjoyed the many, many photos especially of the ship and the food. I don't think we will ever do a transatlantic cruise (too long of a flight for me) but we are planning to take a Celebrity cruise in the future.

We started our cruise life on the Disney Magic back in 2001 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and have cruised on Disney a few more times, also with Royal Caribbean and several with Carnival. We want to branch out and try a few other lines too, Celebrity being one of them and it looks like the Silhouette is a beautiful ship with a lot to offer. I'm thinking of booking a 9-night Caribbean cruise for February 2019 so quite a long ways out, but to me half the fun of a cruise is the planning and research.

Thanks again for a WONDERFUL review, I enjoyed it VERY much!!

I did a search for Silhouette reviews and yours was the first one that popped up. Wonderful trip report, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to share it with the rest of us. LOVED hearing all about the ship, and very much enjoyed the many, many photos especially of the ship and the food. I don't think we will ever do a transatlantic cruise (too long of a flight for me) but we are planning to take a Celebrity cruise in the future.

We started our cruise life on the Disney Magic back in 2001 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and have cruised on Disney a few more times, also with Royal Caribbean and several with Carnival. We want to branch out and try a few other lines too, Celebrity being one of them and it looks like the Silhouette is a beautiful ship with a lot to offer. I'm thinking of booking a 9-night Caribbean cruise for February 2019 so quite a long ways out, but to me half the fun of a cruise is the planning and researdh

Thanks again for a WONDERFUL review, I enjoyed it VERY much!!

Thanks Yvonne! Haven't done a Disney cruise yet myself. Would love to, but they are always so expensive and I love to get the most for my travel dollar. :cool: Have done Royal Caribbean and Carnival, plus Norwegian. I will warn you that once you do Celebrity it might be harder to go back. I'm going to find out in November. We have a Norwegian booked. I am so with you on the research and planning part. Planning for a TA was especially a lot of work, but enjoyable once I started to get a grasp on it, thanks to all the help here on Cruise Critic!

• 2 months later...

Heads up to folks doing reviews with pics! I found out that Photobucket had disabled my pics because I hadn't paid for an upgrade. So my review was basically useless, which was the opposite of my intent. Besides being a personal journal/memory of our fantastic adventure, I wanted this to be useful for folks planning their own adventures. Which is why I paid the $59 fee to upgrade and thankfully my pics have reappeared. So if you also have spent a lot of time doing a report with pics and yours disappear also, you'll know why. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

what a great extensive review. This was a lot of work for you that I so much enjoyed. Thank you! A couple of silly questions we are doing a b2b on the Silhouette in Jan. First time of Celebrity. Our 3rd cruise ever. When you say you always did early dining in the MDR what time does it open daily. 2) did they offer luggage valet for Southwest. We are traveling Delta and I believe we can use the luggage valet for 25.00 per person. After reading your disbarking comments I think we should call Uber even though we have never used it before.

IMG_20161120_143822.jpg

IMG_20161120_143840.jpg

Oh my! A coffee station on Silly! I had read here ..okay told here on CC that just the Reflection had this! Please say it's real. Next year we will be 23 days on her.....I can get the coffee here!!! Loved your review!!!!

Oh my! A coffee station on Silly! I had read here ..okay told here on CC that just the Reflection had this! Please say it's real. Next year we will be 23 days on her.....I can get the coffee here!!! Loved your review!!!!

We will be on her 19 days in Jan and found out she has the hideaway on decks 7 and 8. From what I could read the coffee bar pictured is on deck 7. Check the deck plan out it is by the Aft elevators. We are by the front ones. My hubby will be happy to know he can walk the floor to get his coffee.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

It looks over the atrium from the looks of the photo. I don't think it's aft. As they only had it at the lower part of the Hideaway's two floors on Reflection.

We are in a mid-ship hump cabin by the elevators, so if it is on deck 7 then just down two decks. On the Reflection I used the silver tray from our room get the coffees. Nice to enjoy them back on the balcony before going to breakfast. Easier to walk back, those cups can get hot. Have fun in January!

It looks over the atrium from the looks of the photo. I don't think it's aft. As they only had it at the lower part of the Hideaway's two floors on Reflection.

We are in a mid-ship hump cabin by the elevators, so if it is on deck 7 then just down two decks. On the Reflection I used the silver tray from our room get the coffees. Nice to enjoy them back on the balcony before going to breakfast. Easier to walk back, those cups can get hot. Have fun in January!

Of the two sets of elevators, it's the set that is further aft than the other set! But you are correct, it is fairly midship. I don't recall what they call them.

what a great extensive review. This was a lot of work for you that I so much enjoyed. Thank you! A couple of silly questions we are doing a b2b on the Silhouette in Jan. First time of Celebrity. Our 3rd cruise ever. When you say you always did early dining in the MDR what time does it open daily. 2) did they offer luggage valet for Southwest. We are traveling Delta and I believe we can use the luggage valet for 25.00 per person. After reading your disbarking comments I think we should call Uber even though we have never used it before.

Hi Cherburt, thank you for your comments! And no questions are silly. Very happy (a little jealous) that you are doing a b2b! By early dining I do believe it was somewhere in the 5:30-6:30 range most nights. This would leave us free to dine then enjoy our evening around the ship. We were definitely not in the majority, which suited us just fine. I'm sorry but I don't know how to answer your valet questions as we did not use that service. I do very much recommend Uber vs. taxi service!

Wanted to let folks know that the pictures on this review are about to be blocked. Photobucket is not satisfied with $60 from me. They want me to pay $40 PER MONTH to keep the pics up. I'm sorry I ever used their sorry site. I'm sorry I took so much time and effort to post, not knowing they would suddenly start charging crazy rates. There's no way I can (or would) pay that. My apologies to anyone who stumbles upon this once they do it.