First cruise with scooter

49erteacher

I will be cruising on HAL with a Smart Scoot this fall (36 days B2B). I am a solo traveler who discovered during a spring cruise that some mobility help would most likely increase my cruising enjoyment. I should be fine on board but walking onshore for more than a block or so is a problem. Has anyone requested the stewards remove one of the twin beds to create space for the scooter, I am in an Obstructed Ocean View cabin. I haven't contacted HAL yet to ask. Has anyone made this request?

A second question - Any suggestions about using the scooter in the airports, especially getting luggage to the check-in counter and going through security. I do have TSA Pre-Check and Mobile Passport for FLL.

Love Cruise Critic and all the helpful information.

I will be cruising on HAL with a Smart Scoot this fall (36 days B2B). I am a solo traveler who discovered during a spring cruise that some mobility help would most likely increase my cruising enjoyment. I should be fine on board but walking onshore for more than a block or so is a problem. Has anyone requested the stewards remove one of the twin beds to create space for the scooter, I am in an Obstructed Ocean View cabin. I haven't contacted HAL yet to ask. Has anyone made this request?

A second question - Any suggestions about using the scooter in the airports, especially getting luggage to the check-in counter and going through security. I do have TSA Pre-Check and Mobile Passport for FLL.

Love Cruise Critic and all the helpful information.

You can try. However it's not likely to happen as there's really no place to store it. Wouldn't even bother contacting HAL now . Just speak directly to the cabin attendant. Since I appears that you don't need it in the cabin several other options are :

• Place the coffee table between the end of the sofa and the bed. That way you can park the scooter in front of the sofa.
  • Since it's only about 39 lbs. it can also be lifted up onto the sofa and stored there.
  • Ask the cabin attendant to remove the desk chair and just park the scooter there . Use the scooter seat in place of the desk chair.
  • One other option would be is to ask the attendant to flip one bed frame/mattress up against the wall. Than place the other bed right next to the up righted bed. There have been rare reports of that being done.

For what it's worth I cruised many times in a standard cabin with a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler or Sport with 2 people in the cabin and just repositioned the coffee table and removed the desk chair. Yes it shortened the floor space but we had no problem.

Luggage - curb check with SkyCaps is the easiest if possible. Also travel light. Remember there is self laundry on HAL and regardless how much is packed statically 25% of the items never get used. Personally I've traveled the world solo using only a 18" roll-on and tote bag. My rule of thumb is nothing gets packed if it can't be worn with 2-3 other pieces of clothing and it needs to be able to be dress up down using scarfs and or jewelry.

TSA Pre-check when traveling with a mobility scooter really only gets you in the short line and you don't have to remove your shoes The scooter will still have to be fully inspected and tested for explosives/residue of other banned items which does take time. So you won't be breezing through TSA as you might have thought. Most airports actually have a lane designated for wheelchairs regardless if the person is TSA Pre-Checked or not.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If there is a coffee table, it fits under the sink. We have had two scooters in a standard cabins. Yes, it was tight, but we still managed. Like xxoocruiser suggested, ask your cabin steward to move or take a small piece of furniture out.

You might want to consider requesting a shower stool when you submit your SRI form. If you have not yet received a SRI (Special Requirements Information) form, ask your TA for one.

Some of the airlines are attempting to limit the number of mobility devices. Please contact your airline and advise that you will be transporting your scooter. Actually, if you check under their handicap info, some have a form to be filled out.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

The Smartscoot has a lithium ion battery so it will have to be removed from the scooter and stored the cabin with you. Here's the FAA link . https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=40

Also check the airlines as it may have additional requirements in addition to the FAA regulations ( which all airlines to/from the USA must uphold )regarding the transporting of Lithium Ion Batteries.

xxoocruiser, raindropsalways, and Essiesmom - thanks for all the information and suggestions. I will contact HAL and American Airlines on Monday to get any forms I might need. Happy cruising!

HAL's special needs form is on it's website here's the link https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-planning/SRI_Form.pdf

American Airlines - There really isn't a form that you complete instead the representative will take all info over the phone and note it in your booking. Suggest you have all information regarding scooter dimension as well as lithium battery specs available before you call. . Here's a helpful link regarding the lithium battery FAA compliance from Smartscoot's website. https://www.smartscoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/SmartScoot-Battery-Compliance-Letter-2016.pdf Suggest you print it out and keep it with your travel documents just in case.

The Smartscoot is probably similar to the Travelscoot as far as being back heavy. Have the staff take the scooter down/and up the gangplank. I had a very nasty fall on my Travelscoot trying to ride it exiting the ship.

The Travelscoot only needs to be driven with one hand-Smart scoot may be the same. I strap 2 4 wheel suitcases together (works better if they are the same size), and can go almost anywhere with my luggage.

The worse part of going on a cruise with a scooter is embarkation. The ramp is often pretty steep and you need to get some speed to get up it. But people often just "stop" in front of you. If it is too crowded you may have to "walk" the scooter up.

The Smartscoot is probably similar to the Travelscoot as far as being back heavy. Have the staff take the scooter down/and up the gangplank. I had a very nasty fall on my Travelscoot trying to ride it exiting the ship.

The Travelscoot only needs to be driven with one hand-Smart scoot may be the same. I strap 2 4 wheel suitcases together (works better if they are the same size), and can go almost anywhere with my luggage.

The worse part of going on a cruise with a scooter is embarkation. The ramp is often pretty steep and you need to get some speed to get up it. But people often just "stop" in front of you. If it is too crowded you may have to "walk" the scooter up.

I also have a Travelscoot and have not had any problems going up or down the gang plank and I wonder what happened to you?

I agree about people stopping and preventing you from making "a run for it". I usually try to wait until there is a good distance clear ahead of me when I want to get up some incline quickly.

I often have a wheeled suitcase in my left hand going through airports and I use my right hand to steer and apply brakes etc. Works out very well and it's nice to be independent.

I have a smartscoot. Fabulous is an understatement. It does well up and down ramps although I am able to walk and often opt to walk ramps instead

Call the airline in advance and tell them you have a smartscoot to gate check. No problem with us based airlines. My wife removes the battery and the seat and we put in overhead bin. We collapse the smartscoot and tie with a bungee cord before gate checking

I have at times wheeled a carry on alongside. No issue. Or use the luggage rack

Heads up. Things loosen. Take those Allen wrenches with you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

49erteacher,

The smartscoot has a squarish chromed piece of metal that fits in the front of the scooter. I put a carry on there. Also there is a spot under the seat where you could put a second piece of the chromed loop. I can put a second bag there on its side. I usually use it for my CPAP carry on. Also mdeering suggested strapping 2 pieces of 4 wheeled luggage together and using your left hand to pull them along with you. I like that idea and the suggestion they be the same size is really important.

Also check with the airlines for Disability Assistance. They should be able to answer your questions.

If it were me I would have someone take me to the airport and help me gate check my bags. Then all I'd have to worry about is the carry on stuff I had. That can be very manageable with the Smartscoot. On the model Smartscoot I got there is a strap underneath/near the seat to hold the steering column down to the crossbar. The velcro has to be added to the other side too. Apparently there were some defective ones sent out.

Good Luck!

49erteacher,

The smartscoot has a squarish chromed piece of metal that fits in the front of the scooter. I put a carry on there. Also there is a spot under the seat where you could put a second piece of the chromed loop. I can put a second bag there on its side. I usually use it for my CPAP carry on. Also mdeering suggested strapping 2 pieces of 4 wheeled luggage together and using your left hand to pull them along with you. I like that idea and the suggestion they be the same size is really important.

Also check with the airlines for Disability Assistance. They should be able to answer your questions.

If it were me I would have someone take me to the airport and help me gate check my bags. Then all I'd have to worry about is the carry on stuff I had. That can be very manageable with the Smartscoot. On the model Smartscoot I got there is a strap underneath/near the seat to hold the steering column down to the crossbar. The velcro has to be added to the other side too. Apparently there were some defective ones sent out.

Good Luck!

The strap is really not that strong. Bungee cord much more secure imo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums