How early to arrive at the port?

hnjjz

We just booked a cruise on Costa Atlantica leaving from Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30pm. Since we will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale, I'm wondering how early do we have to arrive to give enough time to the embarkation process. Can we arrive just before the ship leaves and just get on, or do we need to be there a couple of hours early like you need for international flights?

We just booked a cruise on Costa Atlantica leaving from Ft. Lauderdale at 4:30pm. Since we will be driving to Ft. Lauderdale, I'm wondering how early do we have to arrive to give enough time to the embarkation process. Can we arrive just before the ship leaves and just get on, or do we need to be there a couple of hours early like you need for international flights?

You porobably can arrive (at the gangway, with all your stuff) as late as about 30 minutes before sailaway - read your travel docs or check with Costa, a line I haven't been on, to verify - but I wouldn't, as if you end up being late, the ship will NOT wait for you.

Typically, we would get to a Ft.Lauderdale ship by about noon, since we always travel to the departure port at least the day before - and I advise you to, also.

Yes, I know they say embarkation begins at 2:00, but they lie, for reasons which are not really clear to me.

They'd like you to arrive no later than two hours before your ship sets sail.

WE like to go much earlier than that, commonly arriving at 10:00am to be one of the first on the ship when they begin the boarding process sometime between 11:30am and 1:00pm. I know that sounds like a long time to wait but we've met some of the nicest people in line, others that are anxious to get going too. We like getting on board and we think the extra time we get is golden.

Here is a rule of thumb I use. If boarding is to begin at 2:00pm I would be there at least 2 hours before. As above most ships that sail at 4:30 - 5:00 pm generally are available for boarding at noon. But if you want to arrive as late as possible I would use 2:00pm as the latest arrival time. Your docs will state a time on them. Be there no later as they do need to have everyone aboard before they do the lifejack drill which they normally do before they leave port.

. Can we arrive just before the ship leaves and just get on, or do we need to be there a couple of hours early like you need for international flights?

as posted you can most likely arrive 1 hour before the cruise but if you do you will miss a meal-----lol

It seems like the consensus is to arrive at least 2 hours before the departure time. I guess we'll be driving all night then :(

Serene56,

Did you manage to get onboard okay? What did you miss? Is there a lot of stuff to see/do before the ship even departs?

Serene56,Did you manage to get onboard okay? What did you miss? Is there a lot of stuff to see/do before the ship even departs?

well i missed the on board buffet that first day. and my first ever Muster drill. I felt that I missed a lot. It tookme two days to get rid of all that stress almost missing my cruise. But then I found the hot tub in the Gym and just let all my cares in that place. It was thee best place on the whole ship. My family members knew their way around...considering they been on the ship for 4 hours before me--- THere isnt a lot of stuff to do but walking around the ship for the first time is amazing. Once you step onto that ship its like another world.

• 2 months later...

This "how early to board" is a question that just came up between me and DH. It seems the general consensus is to get in line EARLY, about 10 AM. However, my husband has back problems (even though we are young), and I will be 5 months pregnant, so I think it might actually be real, literal, "pain" to wait in a line all morning! He was thinking it may be wiser to wait until 1:30 or 2, and then "just walk on." Of course, my questions are: 1)Will the line(s) have died down significantly by then? (enough to "just walk on"), and 2) what will we miss out on by not being early? FYI, we have a pre-assigned balcony, and are sailing on Carnival Pride 7 day Mex. Riv. May 1 (from Los Angeles/Long Beach).

Thanks for any imput!!

Laura C.

We've only been on Carnival and have arrived around 10:30 all 3 times. It's better to be early then late. Also (at least Carnival) have a huge buffet & the band playing by the pool. It gives you time to tour the ship before EVERYONE'S on board.

My opinion is that arriving early and boarding the ship as early as possible extends my vacation by 4-5 or more hours! Yes, touring the ship, getting settled in your room, having some lunch, etc...is great, and then when it's time to sailaway - you are ready to have a drink in your hand and GO!

For our first two cruises, we didn't know about getting there early, and did we miss out! Since then, we've decided that we will get there as early as they let us, usually 10:30 or 11:00. The lines are shorter, less crowded. Once you get on board, you can relax and settle in. Have a nice quiet buffet lunch, some ships (Carnival) have the ship tour then, and get ready for the drill. It gives you time to also check to see if you have everything needed in your cabin, like the number of life jackets, etc. Then you can stroll around the ship while it gets ready to ship out. I actually enjoy that part of the cruise the best.

• 3 weeks later...
This "how early to board" is a question that just came up between me and DH. It seems the general consensus is to get in line EARLY, about 10 AM. However, my husband has back problems (even though we are young), and I will be 5 months pregnant, so I think it might actually be real, literal, "pain" to wait in a line all morning! He was thinking it may be wiser to wait until 1:30 or 2, and then "just walk on." Of course, my questions are: 1)Will the line(s) have died down significantly by then? (enough to "just walk on"), and 2) what will we miss out on by not being early? FYI, we have a pre-assigned balcony, and are sailing on Carnival Pride 7 day Mex. Riv. May 1 (from Los Angeles/Long Beach).

Thanks for any imput!!

Laura C.

So far, it seems that going earlier is better. Anyone else?

ship terminal early. I hope to be there by 10:30 or 11:00 am so that I have time to get settled and look around the ship. Last time we cruised, my husband and I actually ate lunch in a food court near the cruise ship terminal before we got on the ship. Now we know better and realize that they will feed you lunch on embarktion day. Live and learn I guess. Can hardly wait until October!!!!:p

You can get to theport about 10:30= 11am./ Security doesnt open til 11 and that is when you will be processed.

If you arrive earlier then 10:30 you may not be able to gain access to the pier as people are still getting off in droves.

Has anyone taken a cruise with an 8pm departure? What time would you recommend getting there? We're driving to the Port of Miami from a couple of hours away.

Thanks!

Jeanie

Jeanie: what ship is this and does it always leave at 8pm?

Easiest way to see this is to check and see what time the ship arrives at the pier. We had an 8pm on the Miracle and were told we couldnt board til 4- Of course we didnt listen and got to the port at 11 and waited and waited to board at 4. (the ship didnt pull in til after 2:30)

so I think it might actually be real, literal, "pain" to wait in a line all morning! He was thinking it may be wiser to wait until 1:30 or 2, and then "just walk on." Of course, my questions are: 1)Will the line(s) have died down significantly by then? (enough to "just walk on"), and 2) what will we miss out on by not being early? FYI, we have a pre-assigned balcony, and are sailing on Carnival Pride 7 day Mex. Riv. May 1 (from Los Angeles/Long Beach

I think the most people will be in line about 1-2pm. Most people that cruise dont come to cruie critic to get inside informaton- Diocumnets tell people boarding starts at 2pm so the majority of the people show up at that time stated.

We showed up about 11 and was always onboard by noon. If you really want to just walk right in and not wait in any line-- wait it out and get there by 3.

My ship leaves at 6:00pm, I plan in getting there at 10:00. We will be able to embark through the Skipper's Club I don't know if this will make a difference. I can't wait to get on the ship & don't want to miss a min. of it!

Hi Serene,

It's a 17-day Panama Canal itinerary on the Norwegian Sun. The ship will be coming off a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary and docking in Miami at 7am.

I'm guessing the later departure is to allow them time to stock up for the extended trip?

Thanks again,

Jeanie

• 12 years later...