Daniel's Head

OceanBlue123

• 2 weeks later...

It's not easy to get to. The bus drops you off on the main road and then you have to walk about 2 miles to get to it. With that said it is very quiet. We went because we rented paddle boards which was so amazing b/c you can paddle around to small beaches in the area that you can only get to by water. Daniels head beach itself is not very nice in comparison to all the other beaches in Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And yes it's only about a 10 min bus ride from the dockyard, but add on a 30 min walk.

Thank you so much for the reply! I was beginning to fear that no one here had even been to Daniel's Head! :) We would be cabbing it, so the distance to the bus stop is not a concern. I am very interested in trying out paddle boards and that is what first attracted me to the place.

When you say the beach is not as nice ... I know it does not compare to Horseshoe and its neighbors, but how would you compare it to Snorkel Park or Black Bay beaches? I read there is a cafe at Daniel's Head, true? And are there public restrooms as well?

I think the paddle boarding half of my group would like it, but would the other half that just wants to sit in the shade sipping an umbrella drink be happy, too?

It is not like Horseshoe Bay at all, as it is smaller little coves and beaches. Still very pretty, just very different. There is a nice little bar / restaurant where you can get good food and tropical drinks.

A couple of photos from their website

45ef391bb68cb669fd9076845ec3e6f5?AccessKeyId=FB5B1521ECC645ADC5B9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

731580897544dbd702cd9a3cc53d491d?AccessKeyId=FB5B1521ECC645ADC5B9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

And a video on Youtube

I did not go to Snorkel Park or Black Bay so I cannot say. Daniel's head is quiet, small, and there are actually two beaches at Daniels Head Park divided by a deck/small pier. If you go to SurfSup's facebook page you'll see lots of pictures. The "small huts" that surround the bay used to be "9 beaches" resort, which is now closed. So those huts are vacant and the area around the beach is a tad run down. The paddle boarding is spectacular. We paddled out to a ship wreck and the surrounding islands that have small secluded beaches that you can explore. The next resort over is Cambridge Beach Resort and they have a small beach bar that we paddled over to and grabbed a drink from Max the bartender. Ask for the "Max Creation" it's delicious and way better than the Rum Swizzle (which is overrated in my opinion). In between SurfSup and Cambridge Beach Resort is a small bay swimming with Turtles. We paddled through a sea of turtles - which was pretty incredible. I do believe there were bathrooms at Daniel's Head and the "cafe" was small with limited items. We didn't get anything from there so I don't know if the food or drinks were any good. Taking a cab is clutch and I think the people hanging out on the beach will be happy hanging around while the others paddle. It depends how picky they are though.

Daniels Head is a well kept, not so much anymore secret. It is an amazing little beach with not a lot of people on it.

My suggestion... Take the little red train from the dockyard.... It's drops you off and picks you up right at the beach,,, and I mean right up to the beach.... The cabs and buses take you and drop you off the main road..... The little train is only $15.00 and that is for a round trip......

On our way there we saw a lot of people walking around, looking lost, trying to find this place...

There are signs that will direct you there, but good luck finding the way.....

At the beach there is a small shack that makes incredible food on the grill, the menus is limited but great. A special tuna sandwich, real tuna, or grass fed angus burgers and big as hot dogs... A few other things.. Like his own rum swizzle, his own dark and stormy,,,, much better and stronger then any ship....

The guy that runs this is Dale, born and raised in Bermuda but back from providence RI. Great guy with great stories... Ay food you get from him will be great,,,, although be patient as he does all the cooking himself on the grill, and none of his food sits around as its all made to order.... His mother "Ma" takes the order,,, she's up there in age, but looks great. She's a little slow on the order taking but it's fun to watch her... Specially when her and dal go bat it....

Next to his little building is another run by Larry... Former police man on the island.... He has the paddle boards, chairs, umbrellas,,, all the sports stuff... Reasonably priced... He is a nice guy, when he is not super busy, Hit him up for a chat, he too has some interesting stories.... He now rents these little plastic floats that have a glass bottom up on the front.... You stick your face in the neoprene sleeve and you can see all the fish swimming around... The current here is not as strong as at hotshot beach, you won't get the big waves and you won't get all the rocks... The nice thing at horseshoe beach is the climb of the rocks and the jump off the cliffs... That you will not find here. There was and old cement dock that stuck out of the water enough for my six year old to feel like he made the big leap.

The cabanas you see in the pictures are not run down, in fact they are beautiful... You look at the, sitting over the water and wish you could some how rent hem,,, they have been empty since 2009, have been through numerous hurricanes and they still look amazing....

Larry and Dale are great people, along with "Ma"....they add to the flare of the beach......... They will both tell you, they don't want to be Horseshoe beach, nor do they want the traffic of horse shoe beach... That's what makes this place special.

This place is a hidden gem, but getting more traffic as more people find it... Again the best way to get here is on that little red train.... Save the cab money and the bus money as you will spend a bit of time trying to find it..... There was plenty to see here in regards to fish and the turtles swimming around... My wife did the paddle board and was able to go far away to see the other little breaches and have a nice enjoyable paddle board experience.

My next time in Bermuda I will do the busy horse shoe beach for the kids to jump the cliffs, then t will be back to Daniels for us

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the reply I got when I asked about times.....

Thanks for contacting us at Island Tour Centre about our Daniels Head Beach Train!

On September 3rd they have three times available:*

10:00-1:00

11:30-3:30

1:30-5:30

The cost is $15 per adult and $5 per child.

For reservations you can book online at http://www.islandtourcentre.com or you can call us at 14412361300.*

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us further.

They are flexible about return times. I didn't specifically ask about reservations, but I'm going to assume they are not needed.

I did not go to Snorkel Park or Black Bay so I cannot say. Daniel's head is quiet, small, and there are actually two beaches at Daniels Head Park divided by a deck/small pier. If you go to SurfSup's facebook page you'll see lots of pictures. The "small huts" that surround the bay used to be "9 beaches" resort, which is now closed. So those huts are vacant and the area around the beach is a tad run down. The paddle boarding is spectacular. We paddled out to a ship wreck and the surrounding islands that have small secluded beaches that you can explore. The next resort over is Cambridge Beach Resort and they have a small beach bar that we paddled over to and grabbed a drink from Max the bartender. Ask for the "Max Creation" it's delicious and way better than the Rum Swizzle (which is overrated in my opinion). In between SurfSup and Cambridge Beach Resort is a small bay swimming with Turtles. We paddled through a sea of turtles - which was pretty incredible. I do believe there were bathrooms at Daniel's Head and the "cafe" was small with limited items. We didn't get anything from there so I don't know if the food or drinks were any good. Taking a cab is clutch and I think the people hanging out on the beach will be happy hanging around while the others paddle. It depends how picky they are though.

Could you swim and snorkel around if you bring your own gear? Also is the by with turtles within swimming distance (with flippers)?

We just returned from Bermuda and had a chance to visit Daniel's Head twice, once on Sunday after we arrived at the cruise ship dock in the afternoon, and then again the next day when we rented boats and decided to drop anchor there for awhile. You can absolutely snorkel and swim. We found the place absolutely delightful. For the most part, we had the beach to ourselves and a previous poster is incorrect about where the cabs drop you off. Our driver took us all the way down to the beach, so it was just steps to the sand. Only caveat taking a cab, is getting back. We made arrangements with our driver and had several numbers to call. (we had a working cell phone). We did end up waiting a bit for our ride, but never had taxi problems after that. In the end, we weren't too upset as we were able to watch an unbelievable start to a gorgeous sunset.

Suds is a food shack owned by a mother and son that is near the beach. Although the food was great, be prepared to wait and bring cash as it is not cheap. They prepare everything to order, so you know it's fresh. Fish sandwiches, reubens, burgers, hot dogs, bbq shredded chicken sandwiches, cod cakes etc all were in the $7 - $9 range. They were a joy to talk with as we learned much about the island and the people. It was so nice to get away from all the tourists and just hang with the locals.

We loved this place. It's no horseshoe beach, but it still has the magnificant turquoise, aqua and mint green waters that Bermuda is so known for. Best of all, it is in a protected area, so the seas are usually completely flat, which makes for great snorkeling and swimming.

We took the red train to Daniel's head a little more than a week ago. No reservation, just bought the $15 round trip (less for kids) at the kiosk near the dock. The train was great, no worries about how to get back. On the way there we got color commentary from the very nice driver.

The beach itself is very shallow and calm even a bit far from the shore, great for young kids. It was nearly deserted. Water shoes were a must - rough bottom. Food from the little restaurant was great, too. We would do it again, as it was an easy, peaceful, fun day.

• 2 years later...

Wondering if anyone has been there recently? I've read that the SurfsUp shop has closed down, so no businesses there currently, but was wondering what condition the beach is in these days. Loved the area back when stayed at 9 Beaches ten years ago. Would like to return, sit on the beach a while, and snorkel around the old resort.

Wondering if anyone has been there recently? I've read that the SurfsUp shop has closed down, so no businesses there currently, but was wondering what condition the beach is in these days. Loved the area back when stayed at 9 Beaches ten years ago. Would like to return, sit on the beach a while, and snorkel around the old resort.

There is supposed to be a floating water park opening at Daniels Head in a few days. Check out this website: https://www.x2oadventures.com