Just returned from May 31-June 6 Summit Bermuda cruise

bumperoo

If anyone has some questions about DIY touring we did a lot of things while there.

We used the public transportation. It was both efficient and easy to use. we were off the ship by 8:30 -- third in line at kiosk to buy transportation tokens. We bought two tokens to get on the ferry to Hamilton. once in Hamilton, I bought the 15 ticket booklet (14 zones) which could be used for ferry rides and busses -- the cost was $37.50 so saved us over buying a three day pass.

Day one -- guided free tour of Hamilton with Ed Christopher, the town Crier -- went by bus to the caves -- ate at Swizzle Inn -- shopped Front Street -- drinks at Flannigan's Irish Pub -- experienced the Harbor Nights -- snacked on food truck offerings -- back to ship by 9:00.

Day 2 -- first ferry to St. George's -- guided free tour with former Mayor of St. George's -- Ducking of the Wench -- Ate at Art Mel's Spicey Dicey -- Beach Bus Shuttle to Fort -- toured Fort -- Beach bus back -- stopped at Turtle Beach -- ferry back to ship by 4:30.

Day 3 -- #7 bus to Horseshoe bay -- swim and walk beach -- back to Dockside in time for lunch at Frog and Onion -- shopped in Clocktower Mall -- back to ship for swimming and sail away.

Anything I can help you with -- let me know.

I also posted on Celebrity board my thoughts on the Summit.

I am so impressed with how much you did in Bermuda. We are going on the same ship the first week of August sailing. We have been to Bermuda before and always rent a scooter. We are getting to old for it this time and so I am happy to hear the buses and ferries were efficient. Would you recommend going to St George? I know you went but was it worth the travel time? Also, any "don't miss" sights? I am going to read your post about the ship next. We like Celebrity and I am hoping this it will be as nice as last year. Any additional info would be much appreciated.

LOL -- no gingerbread for me but the BEST meal I had on land or sea! Lots of fun chatting too. A couple was getting their meal to go and eat at home and ended up opening their bag and sharing stories with us while we all ate our yummy lunch!

eefromsharon --The bus and ferry service was so efficient. Never a long wait and everyone was so pleasant. I feel like we really got to see a lot by traveling on the buses. Remember to greet people -- everyone is polite and friendly.

I loved St.George's -- it is so beautiful and the architecture and colors are lovely. If you take the first ferry in the morning, the former Mayor gives commentary on the way over and points out lots of things to see. Once off the ferry, he does a free walking tour of the town. The tour lasted 90 minutes. We ended at the town square in time for the Ducking if the wench re-enactment. We stopped to eat lunch at Art Mel's -- the fish sandwich was to die for -- one was easily enough to feed two people. After lunch we took the new beach shuttle for $6.00 -- it is hop off and hop on. the shuttle loops Penno's Wharf, Town Square, Unfinished Church, Tobacco Bay Beach (changing facilities available). Achilles Bay Beach, Beach House Restaurant, Fort St. Catherine's, Alexandria Battery Beach, Gate's Fort, and the Dinghy Club. They stamp your hand and you ride all day. Very easy and very frequent. Wee took the 3:30 ferry back and had an enjoyable full day. This actually was my favorite day. Any other questions, no problem!

If anyone has some questions about DIY touring we did a lot of things while there.

We used the public transportation. It was both efficient and easy to use. we were off the ship by 8:30 -- third in line at kiosk to buy transportation tokens. We bought two tokens to get on the ferry to Hamilton. once in Hamilton, I bought the 15 ticket booklet (14 zones) which could be used for ferry rides and busses -- the cost was $37.50 so saved us over buying a three day pass.

Day one -- guided free tour of Hamilton with Ed Christopher, the town Crier -- went by bus to the caves -- ate at Swizzle Inn -- shopped Front Street -- drinks at Flannigan's Irish Pub -- experienced the Harbor Nights -- snacked on food truck offerings -- back to ship by 9:00.

Day 2 -- first ferry to St. George's -- guided free tour with former Mayor of St. George's -- Ducking of the Wench -- Ate at Art Mel's Spicey Dicey -- Beach Bus Shuttle to Fort -- toured Fort -- Beach bus back -- stopped at Turtle Beach -- ferry back to ship by 4:30.

Day 3 -- #7 bus to Horseshoe bay -- swim and walk beach -- back to Dockside in time for lunch at Frog and Onion -- shopped in Clocktower Mall -- back to ship for swimming and sail away.

Anything I can help you with -- let me know.

I also posted on Celebrity board my thoughts on the Summit.

Where (which store) in Hamilton to buy the 15 ticket booklet (14 zones) for ferry rides and busses?

Bumperoo--thanks for sharing! We were on the same cruise and also had a wonderful time in Bermuda. I posted a review on the Celebrity board, but thought I would add here what we did on those 3 days.

On the first day, we disembarked immediately at 8:30 and immediately got in the short line to buy 2 day bus/ferry passes ($31.50, cash). We got in line for the 9:30 ferry to St. George’s. The line did get very long as the Norweigan Breakaway had also just arrived in King’s Wharf. The ferry is very large, holding a couple of hundred passengers. The ride to St. George’s is about 45 minutes to an hour.

The first day, we walked through the town to Tobacco Bay to snorkel. We settled under the one and only tree by the beach. There are chairs and umbrellas to rent, restrooms, and a bar/restaurant. The snorkeling was quite nice in the shallow, protected cove. When we were finished, we walked back over the hill again to town and had lunch at Art Mel’s. We were told that they have the best fried fish sandwich anywhere, and we agreed. We took the 3:30 ferry back to King’s Wharf.

The next day, we again took the 9:30 ferry to St. George’s. We walked to the bus stop and waited for the #6 bus (it comes hourly) to St. David’s/Clearwater Beach. The bus ride to Clearwater was about 30 minutes. It dropped us off a good distance, maybe a mile, from the beach. We stopped first at Clearwater Beach to rest and cool off. There were maybe 4 people on the large beach. They have a small bathroom and a little bar/restaurant. Then we walked toward what we thought was the way to the other beaches. We ended up taking a walk through a nature preserve, pretty but not what we were looking for. We finally figured out how to walk down the road past Turtle Beach to Long Beach, an absolutely beautiful, empty beach.

We walked back out to the road to catch a bus back to St. George’s. We had just missed the hourly bus so waited a long time for the next one. But the good news was that it only took 15 minutes to get back, so we had plenty of time to catch the 5:30 ferry. It would have been a long bus ride back to Hamilton and then King’s Wharf if we had missed that ferry. We both had a marvelous day and can’t wait to go again.

The third day in Bermuda, we were so tired that we spend most of the day on board, only getting off to use the wifi ($5 for one hour) in the Dockyard.

SailPro--we took the ferry to Hamilton. As soon as you get off the ferry, you go inside the transportation center and they are selling the ticket books right there. The tickets are perforated and you rip one out as you need it and put it in the fare box as you enter a bus or the ferry. Very simple! Also, you can purchase them in the post offices.

When we got off the ship, the line at the tourist info booth was so short that we bought the two tokens to use on the ferry to Hamilton. Tokens are 4.50 each. However, you can pay your fare as you are getting on the ferry. They do not take dollar bills, just change. I wrote to the tourist board and you can use U.S. Coins. I brought a roll of quarters ($10) which would have been enough to cover the two $5 fares for the ferry if the lines would have been too long to wait. Even spending $9 or $10 for the fare into Hamilton, plus the ticket book, we came out far ahead of buying the passes. Just figure out how many rides you need and weigh it. We used fourteen tickets -- so that was great for us.

danyel -- Harbor Nights was fun, but I would not give up another activity to do it. We toured Hamilton, went to the caves and Swizzle Inn, Shopped along Front Street, had drinks at Flannigan's and were in town right in time for the start of Harbour Nights. They close Front Street to traffic and vendors set up their wares on folding tables that line both sides of the street. Food trucks are parked and selling stuff to eat and there are information booths for local organizations. Kids were getting faces painted and collecting balloons. If you wanted to wait in line, Goslings gave out a small sample cup of rum or a drink . It is like a street fair and does get very crowded.

Funinthesun -- sounds like you had a wonderful trip too! We were blessed with spectacular weather, weren't we? We were on the same ferry to St. George's with you on Thursday! I will dream about Art Mel's for a long time!!

LOL -- no gingerbread for me but the BEST meal I had on land or sea! Lots of fun chatting too. A couple was getting their meal to go and eat at home and ended up opening their bag and sharing stories with us while we all ate our yummy lunch!

eefromsharon --The bus and ferry service was so efficient. Never a long wait and everyone was so pleasant. I feel like we really got to see a lot by traveling on the buses. Remember to greet people -- everyone is polite and friendly.

I loved St.George's -- it is so beautiful and the architecture and colors are lovely. If you take the first ferry in the morning, the former Mayor gives commentary on the way over and points out lots of things to see. Once off the ferry, he does a free walking tour of the town. The tour lasted 90 minutes. We ended at the town square in time for the Ducking if the wench re-enactment. We stopped to eat lunch at Art Mel's -- the fish sandwich was to die for -- one was easily enough to feed two people. After lunch we took the new beach shuttle for $6.00 -- it is hop off and hop on. the shuttle loops Penno's Wharf, Town Square, Unfinished Church, Tobacco Bay Beach (changing facilities available). Achilles Bay Beach, Beach House Restaurant, Fort St. Catherine's, Alexandria Battery Beach, Gate's Fort, and the Dinghy Club. They stamp your hand and you ride all day. Very easy and very frequent. Wee took the 3:30 ferry back and had an enjoyable full day. This actually was my favorite day. Any other questions, no problem!

Which do you recommend for lunch Swizzle Inn or Art Mel's?

They are both great in different ways. The Swizzle has a nice second story balcony so you can dine outdoors and people watch. It is not near the beach so the view is of an ice cream stand and people coming and going from the caves. We shared a small pitcher of rum Swizzles and a fish sandwich with fries on the side. Our bill with tip was $42.00. The meal was great and it was a great way to rest up after the caves. Most of the patrons were tourists. The server was a young guy from Slovakia.

Art Mel's Spicey Dicey is a simple place with a few tables and booths. It was very clean. You go up to a counter and order your meal and while you wait everyone talks to you. There was a mix of tourists and local people. you can dine in or take out. The fish sandwich is huge and you really should share it unless you want to be stuffed to the gills! Believe me, we are good eaters and sharing was no problem. There is no alcohol served. Our bill was $15.00 with tip. We met a nice Bermudian couple who decided to eat in and we talked through the whole meal. Just because of the total experience, my vote goes to Art Mel's. I also liked my meal there better. I have been dreaming of that sandwich since I got home.

You will enjoy both places. Have a great trip -- can I stow away in your cabin?

Edited by bumperoo

Thanks for the detail review. Your review will definitely help me decide where to dine when I am in St George next Wednesday. However just wondering where is Art Mel located in St George?

Thanks for the detail review. Your review will definitely help me decide where to dine when I am in St George next Wednesday. However just wondering where is Art Mel located in St George?

It is on Water Street, right in the town, not too far from the ferry dock. We picked up a dining map and had no problems finding it.

It is on Water Street, right in the town, not too far from the ferry dock. We picked up a dining map and had no problems finding it.

When you get off the ferry, the foot traffic will be feeding you onto Water Street. As you walk towards Town Square Art Mel's will be on the left hand side. They have a big sign outside so you cannot miss it.

reverse it and if walking back to the ferry, it would then be on your right hand side.

If you are lucky enough to be on that first ferry of the day and taking the walking tour with the former Mayor, he will point it out to you. It's near the Tucker House Museum.

Oh, the bygones days of docking in St. George. There was nothing like walking off the ship and being a few steps from the Town Square.

View from the ship.

61a9ffc6.jpg

They also had a Beating the Retreat ceremony with the Bermuda Regiment and the Island Pipe Band that was great.

5ed79ed1.jpg 4c3071c3.jpg dff080b4.jpg

OP, so glad you got to St. George since there's lots to see and do in a beautiful and charming place. Many never get there since it can be a haul to get there.

Iheartbds --Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Our St. George's Day was our favorite day. I Would not have wanted to miss it. The ferry ride is beautiful and because you are on the water and seeing so many things, the time went so quickly.

Also, the hop on, hop off trolley is a bargain at $6 p/p and really let's you get to the Fort and surrounding beaches with little effort. Our driver even made an impromptu stop so that we could see the cove where the turtles were swimming. They have done so much work to spruce up Somers' Gardens. The plants and flowers were beautiful and all the plants were labeled for identification.

They are both great in different ways. The Swizzle has a nice second story balcony so you can dine outdoors and people watch. It is not near the beach so the view is of an ice cream stand and people coming and going from the caves. We shared a small pitcher of rum Swizzles and a fish sandwich with fries on the side. Our bill with tip was $42.00. The meal was great and it was a great way to rest up after the caves. Most of the patrons were tourists. The server was a young guy from Slovakia.

Art Mel's Spicey Dicey is a simple place with a few tables and booths. It was very clean. You go up to a counter and order your meal and while you wait everyone talks to you. There was a mix of tourists and local people. you can dine in or take out. The fish sandwich is huge and you really should share it unless you want to be stuffed to the gills! Believe me, we are good eaters and sharing was no problem. There is no alcohol served. Our bill was $15.00 with tip. We met a nice Bermudian couple who decided to eat in and we talked through the whole meal. Just because of the total experience, my vote goes to Art Mel's. I also liked my meal there better. I have been dreaming of that sandwich since I got home.

You will enjoy both places. Have a great trip -- can I stow away in your cabin?

Thanks for the information. They both sound good.

I'm in awe of how organized you posters are with your day planning. I'm going to try to emulate you when I return!

I love planning to utilize my time the best I can. I hate to find out on Thursday that the Habor Night's event was on Wednesday LOL. Have a great trip and some fun planning!

bumperoo,

Thanks your informing us of your fun filled days especially in St. George. We are only in Bermuda 1.5 days and are choosing to spend the 2nd day in St. George. We will take that 9:15AM ferry over to St. George and take the 2:15 am back to the Dockyard. The agenda includes Art Mel's, the Perfumery, cigar shop, town square with no tour and the hop on hop off bus. We hope to go to a beach and St Catherine's fort, maybe see the unfinished church. Hopefully it's doable. I can be on speedy mode especially if it's shopping.

bumperoo,

Thanks your informing us of your fun filled days especially in St. George. We are only in Bermuda 1.5 days and are choosing to spend the 2nd day in St. George. We will take that 9:15AM ferry over to St. George and take the 2:15 am back to the Dockyard. The agenda includes Art Mel's, the Perfumery, cigar shop, town square with no tour and the hop on hop off bus. We hope to go to a beach and St Catherine's fort, maybe see the unfinished church. Hopefully it's doable. I can be on speedy mode especially if it's shopping.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all doing all those things. The town is very compact and easy to maneuver on foot. There is a great map and booklet in the visitor's center. This is also where you get your hand stamped for the hop on/hop off shuttle. Also, make sure you pick up a card that lists all the stops for the hop on/hop off. The shuttles are very efficient and run in a continuous loop. Even if you just miss one, the next one is about fifteen minutes behind. The driver's are very friendly and informative and point out things along the way. The unfinished church, Fort and various beaches are all shuttle stops. Hope you have a great trip.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all doing all those things. The town is very compact and easy to maneuver on foot. There is a great map and booklet in the visitor's center. This is also where you get your hand stamped for the hop on/hop off shuttle. Also, make sure you pick up a card that lists all the stops for the hop on/hop off. The shuttles are very efficient and run in a continuous loop. Even if you just miss one, the next one is about fifteen minutes behind. The driver's are very friendly and informative and point out things along the way. The unfinished church, Fort and various beaches are all shuttle stops. Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks so much for the info! I will definitely pick up the card.

Edited by sauvichick

Thanks for being so helpful! I would love to learn more about the mayor's tour. Did you have to sign up in advance? Are spaces limited? Is it only for folks on the 9:30 ferry? Do you just board the ferry or do you have to meet somewhere at the dockyard or in st George? Is it daily? Sorry for all the questions!

• 9 months later...

I'm loving the idea of taking the first ferry over to St. George, visiting Tobacco Bay Beach and having lunch at Art Mels. It will also allow us to have a glimpse of St. George too. We are only in port for one day from 8am to 4pm. I know we would need to catch the first ferry over. What time would we need to head back to get back to the ship on time? I do not want to visit without tasting this infamous fish sandwich!!!! Also, what do we need to get on the ferry and would we need anything to make it to Tobacco Bay Beach or is it walking distance? Thanks!

I'm loving the idea of taking the first ferry over to St. George, visiting Tobacco Bay Beach and having lunch at Art Mels. It will also allow us to have a glimpse of St. George too. We are only in port for one day from 8am to 4pm. I know we would need to catch the first ferry over. What time would we need to head back to get back to the ship on time? I do not want to visit without tasting this infamous fish sandwich!!!! Also, what do we need to get on the ferry and would we need anything to make it to Tobacco Bay Beach or is it walking distance? Thanks!

First, by all reports the Art Mel's in St.Georges has closed.

What day of the week are you in Bermuda? If it' a Saturday or Sunday there hasn't been ferry service to St. George's on weekends for several years.

Edited by njhorseman