Miami vs fortlauterdale

Rnmozack

Cruising solo first time have cruised with children out of fort lauterdale. Now going out of Miami. Better to stay night before in Miami or fort lauterdale. Opinions?

Basically depends on which airport you're arriving at. There are plenty of reasonable hotels near either airport. You do have to account for the time needed to get from Fort Lauderdale to the Miami cruise port, if you chose to stay in FLL (about 40 minutes to an hour depending on traffic, if I remember correctly).

also factor in the cost of transfer from FLL to POM & return

Some shuttle companies will pick up at certain hotels in the FLL area for the POM

FLL hotels may be cheaper than ones in Miami .....timing is everything

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Miami airport is perfectly fine!!! Cheap transfer into Miami piers and if you desire cheap airport hotels.

For more money and luxury both the Four Seasons and the Intercontinental in Miami are first class and you can watch your ship come in in the morning,

• 2 weeks later...

Flying from Cincinnati is sooo much cheaper for us to fly into FLL regardless of where we are sailing from. We also bid on rooms from a famous site i can't name here. I've never paid more that $65 for a room and have usually get Hyatt Place (very nice) and sometimes Sheraton airport. We also factor in a rental car (also from the bidding company. Never paid more than $30 for a mini van) and its still cheaper to fly into FLL. Pick up car at FLL and drop at MIA. We usually leave our hotel in FLL at 9:00 and are sitting at the POM at 10:30-10:45.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Cruising solo first time have cruised with children out of fort lauterdale. Now going out of Miami. Better to stay night before in Miami or fort lauterdale. Opinions?

I think that either airport is fine. I always go with cheaper. There are so many transportation options to get you to Miami port from FLL. We flew into FLL for Miami port and had a long shuttle ride but met so many interesting people, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. But that's me.

• 1 month later...

Used to live on the Beach.If it was me I would search air fares on SouthWest to FLL. Low fares when first out, usually rising later. Book shuttle to Miami; $15-$25. Other low fare lines too. Also check MIA rates. Lots of Seniors do hostels. I see there are several new Hostels right by beach. GOOGLE South Beach hostels.Jazz and Posh will appear. Go to the Beach, walk Lincoln Road outdoor Mall. Nice boardwalk off of Ocean Drive which is a beautiful street. Miami has so much more to offer than Fort L. 2 days ago I flew from Miami to Denver for $142!

Edited by zoncom

I would stay in Miami.

There are lots of good hotel choices downtown including:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis

Hampton Inn

Marriott

Hyatt

Holiday Inn Bayside

And more but thought this list would help.

Keith

We always stay at the Intercontinental overlooking the Port of Miami.

If you do stay there, make a request immediately for a room with a port view, as not all of them have that.

We almost weren't able to get a port view the first time, and that would have been a shame.

It was really fun to see the ships leaving the day before, and then if you get up early, to see the ships arriving the next morning... especially your own ship.

Fun!

If you are going out of Miami and flying there, I would stay there. The port is closer to the downtown area and while South Beach is great for adults not always the best option. As you turn the corner heading away from South Beach (pointing West) there are some hotels there and others around the market over closer to the port. The port is only about 10 minutes or less from downtown Miami area whereas if you stay in Fort Lauderdale plan on about 40 minutes and about $80 by shuttle or taxi to get there. Fort Lauderdale will be better for the beach with kids but during the day South Beach is fine if you stay hotel wise around Miami downtown or Market area. Its less commotion with kids if you can manage stay closer to your port area.

• 4 months later...

We took a cruise out of Miami but flew into Ft. Lauderdale. We stayed in FTL as it was cheaper and took a shuttle to the ship. It worked out great. There were other cruisers at our hotel.