Silver Spirit refurb

texasskier

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Spirit need a refurb? We are currently booked on the Muse, but my partner's new boss is cracking down on his vacation time, and we need to switch to the Spirit. Really hoping she's in good shape. We had a really bad experience with Regent last summer on the Voyager which was in terrible shape (especially the room) which was a huge disappointment for the ridiculous amount of money we spent. I'd hate to have a repeat.

Michael

Does the Spirit need a refurb? We are currently booked on the Muse, but my partner's new boss is cracking down on his vacation time, and we need to switch to the Spirit. Really hoping she's in good shape. We had a really bad experience with Regent last summer on the Voyager which was in terrible shape (especially the room) which was a huge disappointment for the ridiculous amount of money we spent. I'd hate to have a repeat.

Michael

We were on the Spirit in September and are back on shortly. We didn't feel like it needed a refurb. I'll take a closer look when we're back on board and let you know.

Funny you should mention Regent. We cruised once (on the Voyager) about 8 years ago--thinking, "wow, if Silversea is that good, and Regent is #1, we should try it. After all they are affiliated with the Regent Hotels." Well, what a horrible experience--the ship vibrated terribly, the ship was not that clean, the crew basically threw the food at you, the suite was in poor shape (we never saw our room attendant), and the food was mediocre at best. And we had booked 5 cabins.

We never went back to Regent. And we must get at least one Regent brochure a week. We find the Silversea experience to be far superior. If we were going to try another line, we would try Seabourn or perhaps Oceania.

We were on the Spirit in August in a Verandah Suite. Our suite was in fine condition and the public areas were too. The only issue we had was that the TV was not HD and the overall video and audio was not clear. However, we spent little time watching TV on a port intensive cruise, mostly just getting various info updates.

However, we didn't look too carefully; it wasn't our goal to find fault.

We thought the artwork throughout the ship was fabulous.

I can't imagine that it does Michael, but I can let you know after our New Year's cruise.

Herman The Cat: We were on the Spirit in September and are back on shortly. We didn't feel like it needed a refurb. I'll take a closer look when we're back on board and let you know.

CruiserFromMaine: We were on the Spirit in August in a Verandah Suite. Our suite was in fine condition and the public areas were too. The only issue we had was that the TV was not HD and the overall video and audio was not clear. However' date=' we didn't look too carefully;[b'] it wasn't our goal to find fault[/b].

Appreciate so much these many important details and look forward to hearing more from our Colorado friend and others after the upcoming cruises on the Silver Spirit.

We are planning and hoping to do in mid June an exciting, port-intensive Lisbon to Rouen cruise on the Silver Spirit. After four cruises on the Silver Cloud, it will be fun to test this larger Silversea ship with more dining locations and other interesting options. With a different/larger SS ship, plus a schedule with no sea-days, it will be a different set options where getting lots of good tips and suggestion is valued. Keep up the great sharing on the Silver Spirit and its "secrets"!!

Great and wise comments from CruiserFromMaine about "it wasn't our goal to find fault." How true??!! A few folks look too hard trying to find fault and nit-pick. The first goal should be to enjoy your travel adventure and love the successes from such sailings. If a few things are not best, point it out, but also balance things with the positives and successes. Just my "two cents" worth!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,873 views for this posting.

Michael, and others, we just got off the transatlantic and I thought the Spirit looked great. It was our second Spirit and our third Silversea in 2 years (we traveled on the Wind this past March). Sure, if you look close you will find something that needs attention but overall fabrics, carpets, soft furnishings are in satisfactory condition and I do not believe she needs a refit based on deterioration. Perhaps it is needed in the coming years to bring it in line with the soft furnishings and color scheme on other vessels in the fleet. Our veranda suite was also in good condition with very minor nicks and dents in the furniture but nothing more than normal wear and tear. There was certainly nothing noticeable that stood out to me and you know I am picky! :) The ships crew keep the interiors lovely and clean and we felt the attention to detail from our Butler and Room Steward made our in-suite experience very comfortable. The color palette, while not the fresh contemporary look of Muse, is pleasing to the eye although the furniture is a bit 'Marriott-esque' in my opinion and looks 'dated'. Again, it is just my opinion but I don't feel it necessarily reflects a luxurious look when compared to something like Crystal or the finer suites on board Oceania Marina or Riviera. The beds are great, linens are really top quality and I would say you both will have an enjoyable voyage.

Your Regent Voyager experience must have been so disappointing. We were contemplating booking Explorer next year but did not follow through with our booking preferring to wait and see if some of the issues iron themselves out. We have heard the staff are not that cordial or experienced and for that money I would like excellent service with happy and accommodating staff. The condition of the ships, the quality of the crew and the overall experience is not what it used to be when you and I first started sailing on them. However, Silversea gladly has provided us with wonderful experiences and we have formed great friendships with fellow passengers. They are certainly a friendly group, at least from our experience. The size of Spirit is 'just right' and it never feels crowded expect on a sunny day around the swimming pool. It has great dining venues and some relaxing lounges to enjoy a quiet cocktail or a more lively evening can be had after dinner in the Panorama on Deck 9. The Spirit staff are experienced and friendly and we were pleased with every aspect of our recent cruise.

Which Spirit itinerary are you considering? I would have no hesitation in booking it. You will have a great time.

Ashley

Edited by goldengatecruisers

We sailed on the Spirit in March 2016 from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. She took a pounding in very rough seas between Falklands and Tierra Del Fuego. But, on board all facilities were in good shape. The cabin artwork and draperies are somewhat dated, but everything was functioning well.

My guess is that Silversea may elect some cosmetic improvements rather than a complete refurb

• 6 months later...
I believe it is the middle 2 weeks of March 2018. SO only a couple of weeks...soft goods only? Melissa

We just got off of the Silver Spirit earlier this week while doing an eleven-day Lisbon to Rouen/France sailing. We had previously done four sailings on the Silver Cloud. To my eye, I did not see and/or sense any major needs, fixes required, etc.

Things seemed in reasonably good order. Nice ship!! Lots of room and options. More details and lots of pictures from my live/blog connected below:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,478 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast on the Silver Cloud; visiting Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

How does the Silver Spirit look these days? Earlier this month after coming back from being in Bilbao/Spain, here is the look of this ship with nice lighting and a great angle from their new, contemporary cruise ship terminal at this port.:

June%202017A%201567_zpsa3xjjob0.jpg

Just heard from our TA...our cruise next March 23 is the one right after refurb. Has its pros and cons but it is the only one that stops at Sete. We just paid the full invoice to receive the 10% off. Our first time in a Silver Suite and our first time on Spirit. Others have been in Verandahs. Next step is getting air arrangements.

Just heard from our TA...our cruise next March 23 is the one right after refurb. Has its pros and cons but it is the only one that stops at Sete. We just paid the full invoice to receive the 10% off. Our first time in a Silver Suite and our first time on Spirit. Others have been in Verandahs. Next step is getting air arrangements.

MHF, this may be of use to you. Under the price guarantee, when SS add incentives to your cruise, you are entitled to that a offer too even if you've paid in full.

I think they have just added business class air fares to your cruise FOC. (It maybe free economy or +£199 for business. On mine, it's a straight forward free business class return air fare.

Like they usually do, they have increased the fare so it's outside the "deal", but you can always cancel and rebook. I think mine has gone up by £100, so it's worthwhile doing that, particularly when taking their air transfers, you also get free port to airport to hotel transfers too. They added $81pp for their coach transfer from civitavecchia to FCO last week on the Muse, so it's acususl bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good grief. Further to my post above, I did attempt to speak to my agent at Silversea to get the free business class flights added to my booking. Unfortunately, he was "on another call" each time I rang. I left a message, but still no reply, so I decided to speak to anybody!

Just before I did, I checked the online prices again. There had been no further increase over and above the £50 that was added last month so would not have been a problem. However, 2 hours on and Silversea have hiked the prices shown by approx 75% over what it was earlier this morning when I called.

Had the agent answered at the time, I would have got the free price guarantee upgrade, now they will want another £2500 to get it.

That is some serious price hike!

I am now looking at alternatives with a different CL and canceling this cruise altogether.

Thank you! I just checked the SS site and so far no price increase, business class fare for $1200 or free economy. Extended the early booking bonus to August 31 too.

So I emailed my TA and am hoping she can get that air added. I don't think this cruise is that popular.

Thank you! I just checked the SS site and so far no price increase, business class fare for $1200 or free economy. Extended the early booking bonus to August 31 too.

So I emailed my TA and am hoping she can get that air added. I don't think this cruise is that popular.

Thats excellent news. Yes, from what you've said, you are entitled to the extra incentive. Glad it was of help. Mine is 2 cruises after yours and though the "free flights" are added, the cruise price has not been unaffected as you can probably see. (We had originally booked the one in the middle - which is also seemingly unaffected.)

Let us know how you get on.

Hello Les, We were able to add the $1200 business class air but also found out the suite price went up by $1000 per person. Guess I was reading the wrong category yesterday!

If I calculate business class air from east coast to Italy and back from Barcelona, it was running over $3200 via SS and almost $4000 if I tried to book it on Chase Rewards site (per person) so this saves us at least $1000 per person rebooking the trip. Still got the 10% discount for paying early and the Venetian discount.

Melissa

Hello Les, We were able to add the $1200 business class air but also found out the suite price went up by $1000 per person. Guess I was reading the wrong category yesterday!

If I calculate business class air from east coast to Italy and back from Barcelona, it was running over $3200 via SS and almost $4000 if I tried to book it on Chase Rewards site (per person) so this saves us at least $1000 per person rebooking the trip. Still got the 10% discount for paying early and the Venetian discount.

Melissa

Well if you got a saving over what you had, good stuff. Glad it worked out.... but would have been so much nicer had that hike not happened. It does happen.... but offers usually do get hikes to eliminate the price warranty which I do think is a tad sneaky.

But at least you got something, so good stuff... I think I would in this circumstance have insisted your TA gave you some OBC to cover the increase in fare. I drive a hard bargain lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never fear Les, our TA always "surprises" us with OBC and other goodies. It makes for a fun first day, opening the envelopes in the room. Last time, in addition to OBC, she picked up our parking at the airport for 17 days! She's also found a sweet deal for travel insurance that is cheaper than SS and covers the week before in Rome too.