Why did Zaandam/Amsterdam NOT get Lanai cabins?

AtlantaCruiser72

• 6 months later...

Why are all the best Deck-8 suites directly beneath the noisy Deck-9 Lido deck? and why do they pick this ship for their longest voyage; for their world cruise? That's a deal breaker for me. ROI is why. Same reason not upgraded to inclue Lanai rooms I guess.

What was the reason HAL did not convert some Lower Promenade Deck cabins to Lanai rooms on the Zaandam/Amsterdam?

Also was Amsterdam the only S/R class ship never to get Mix?

This has always sort of stumped me. :rolleyes:

I think the question should be why do they keep adding/changing cabins to ships and changing the design? It seems to me that additional cabins or Lanai rooms just stress the ships more (more passengers, more environmental (air/heat) problems, new leaks, less loungers, less ocean views or less privacy in cabins).

Simply, spend less dollars monkeying with older ships, really(!) maintain them and add new bigger, faster than a speeding bullet floating hotels to the fleet... if HAL wants. The smaller ships work just fine for small ports and longer cruises.

Edited by al50
spelling

Personally, I am so glad that they stopped the conversions to lanai cabins. Yes, I would love one, ... but too expensive. What I do like is that on both of these ships, the deck chairs on the lower promenade deck are not reserved for the people in the lanai cabins. This means I can sit where the ship's railing is open and I can watch the ocean. I so love doing that, but not sitting way up high... or not sitting in the sun.

So here is my vote to leave the Amsterdam and the Zaandam alone please.

I have also wondered why MIX was not installed on the Amsterdam. When this "concept" was started, I had my doubts. But, having experienced MIX on Statendam and Rotterdam, it is a "winner" in my opinion. I patronized the venue almost daily.

As to why no Lanai Cabins on Amsterdam, installing them with a decrease in available deck chairs on the Lower Promenade Deck would probably cause a major revolt among the regular World Cruise guests. (Of course, just my opinion, but based upon my experience with how frequently used this public space is on a World Cruise.)

Why are all the best Deck-8 suites directly beneath the noisy Deck-9 Lido deck? and why do they pick this ship for their longest voyage; for their world cruise? That's a deal breaker for me. ROI is why. Same reason not upgraded to inclue Lanai rooms I guess.

Why do you assume the Deck 8 suites are noisy? We have been cabins below the Lido deck on numerous occasions and they are not noisy. Occasional late afternoon chair scraping when they clean up the deck but that is about it. There has never been people noise from the Lido. The Lido area is glassed in along the sides for one thing, and HAL passengers are a pretty sedate group poolside.

Agree the Neptunes can have some noise, but with a bit of a look at the deck plans you can can choose wisely and not be subject to it.

Why do you assume the Deck 8 suites are noisy? We have been cabins below the Lido deck on numerous occasions and they are not noisy. Occasional late afternoon chair scraping when they clean up the deck but that is about it. There has never been people noise from the Lido. The Lido area is glassed in along the sides for one thing, and HAL passengers are a pretty sedate group poolside.

they can be noisy early in the morning when chairs are being move and set back in place. I'm an early morning riser so no biggie, but if I am on one of these ships (which I like by the way) and, if we are fortunate enough to be in one of these cabins, I choose my location very carefully.

Under the Canaletto for example - we had NO noise of any sort on the Rotterdam. I know that some suites on that deck have experienced big issues further forward. We had none :)

Personally, I am so glad that they stopped the conversions to lanai cabins. Yes, I would love one, ... but too expensive. What I do like is that on both of these ships, the deck chairs on the lower promenade deck are not reserved for the people in the lanai cabins. This means I can sit where the ship's railing is open and I can watch the ocean. I so love doing that, but not sitting way up high... or not sitting in the sun.

So here is my vote to leave the Amsterdam and the Zaandam alone please.

Me too.

What was the reason HAL did not convert some Lower Promenade Deck cabins to Lanai rooms on the Zaandam/Amsterdam?

Also was Amsterdam the only S/R class ship never to get Mix?

This has always sort of stumped me. :rolleyes:

#1 Change of mindset in the Seattle boardroom. Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam and Volendam all received Lanai cabins. Amsterdam and Zaandam stayed with ocean view staterooms on LP Deck.

#2 Yes, Amsterdam is the only current "S" and "R" class without the "Mix concept" - Her Piano Bar is known as the Rembrandt Lounge and the small bar inside the Rembrandt Lounge as the Amstel Cafe

#1 Change of mindset in the Seattle boardroom. Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam and Volendam all received Lanai cabins. Amsterdam and Zaandam stayed with ocean view staterooms on LP Deck.

#2 Yes, Amsterdam is the only current "S" and "R" class without the "Mix concept" - Her Piano Bar is known as the Rembrandt Lounge and the small bar inside the Rembrandt Lounge as the Amstel Cafe

Personally, I prefer the Amsterdam's set up.

Thanks Copper for the info :)

You are welcome Kazu! You should try her once; almost as good as Prinsendam ;)

Completely agree with Copper10-8 Kazu..

I've always said that "Prinsendam" is our Favorite ship & the "Amsterdam" is our 2nd favorite ship.. We did a RIO=SCL in 2003 on the Amsterdam & loved it.. Have not been on her since though..

If they ever decide to give her Lanai cabins, we would definitely book one, as also loved our Lanai on the "Veendam"..:cool:

Interesting thread. I'm sure HAL did cost vs benefit/profit before making the changes, and sometimes these do not work out. The lanai rooms are nice for those who get them and of course not so nice for those of us who like the unreserved deck chairs. Notice that the "S" class ships they kept were the two with the lanais.

Me thinks those days are behind us, Madam ;)

As usual, you hit the nail on the head! ;)

Right now all I'm wishing for is a cruise, to anywhere..

Unfortunately, our Friends have to wait for his DR. to give the OK for him to travel, & my DR. is sending me for Physical Therapy.. So it looks like we all have to wait for a couple more months.. Getting old is not for the "faint of heart":(

So nice to see you on here again!:cool:

Take care & stay well..

As usual, you hit the nail on the head! ;)

Right now all I'm wishing for is a cruise, to anywhere..

Unfortunately, our Friends have to wait for his DR. to give the OK for him to travel, & my DR. is sending me for Physical Therapy.. So it looks like we all have to wait for a couple more months.. Getting old is not for the "faint of heart":(

So nice to see you on here again!:cool:

Take care & stay well..

Likewise and good luck/progress with the PT

Thanks for the insight. I sort of figured the change in management/Capex priorities were the main drivers.

I am hopeful the Zaandam will get a refresh of her bathrooms in the next dry dock as the originals are looking very tired. I'm also hoping for her to emerge with a cohesive carpet and textile language throughout. The recent refurb of the Westerdam, has me hopeful in this area. As is well known, I have this "thing" about HAL and their crazy, mismatched, hodgepodge carpet situation:o

Another question - the Atrium Terrace seating area opposite of the Ocean Bar - is it still in existence on the Zaandam or was it replaced with a sell-ya-stuff store?

You are welcome Kazu! You should try her once; almost as good as Prinsendam ;)

Completely agree with Copper10-8 Kazu..

I've always said that "Prinsendam" is our Favorite ship & the "Amsterdam" is our 2nd favorite ship.. We did a RIO=SCL in 2003 on the Amsterdam & loved it.. Have not been on her since though..

If they ever decide to give her Lanai cabins, we would definitely book one, as also loved our Lanai on the "Veendam"..:cool:

Thanks both. Not sure how we have managed not to sail on the Amsterdam yet. I guess other itineraries "grabbed us". I will have to keep my eye out on her itineraries in the future ;).

[Another question - the Atrium Terrace seating area opposite of the Ocean Bar - is it still in existence on the Zaandam or was it replaced with a sell-ya-stuff store?

it's still there :-) (I just got off the Zaandam a couple of weeks ago)

...Is the reason I have thus far avoided the Amsterdam. I am unhappy (claustrophobic) in an Ocean View, and I can't afford a Vista.

How are you going to manage on the 2018 Grand Asia? BTW, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the prices for the 2018 have decreased significantly.

Since we just booked the 2018 Grand Asia, I hope this means that the Piano Bar and the library will survive next year's drydock, pls., pls???

How are you going to manage on the 2018 Grand Asia? BTW, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the prices for the 2018 have decreased significantly.

I booked a lower promenade OV next to a door, and I will budget and pray for an upsell!

Three of us, including you, are now confirmed. Who will start the roll call???

I am hopeful the Zaandam will get a refresh of her bathrooms in the next dry dock as the originals are looking very tired. I'm also hoping for her to emerge with a cohesive carpet and textile language throughout. The recent refurb of the Westerdam, has me hopeful in this area. As is well known, I have this "thing" about HAL and their crazy, mismatched, hodgepodge carpet situation:o

You hit my favorite pet peeve too. I remember thinking on our first HAL cruise on the Maasdam there was a lot to like about that ship, but the mismatched carpet looked like they used fire sale close-outs. HAL definitely got the message when they did the Nieuw Amsterdam- lovely tones, coordinated and even a plush feeling.

However, we found the legendary Amsterdam to be our least favorite ships, decor wise. Garish, dour and jarring - if you can put all of that together in one ship. Love her itineraries, but would not want to spend much extended time on her again - 50 days Tales of South Pacific was a terrific cruise with one of the best staff combos ever, but the mismatched and decidedly unrefined decor left us pretty cold.

HAL has been getting a lot better coordinating its decor on their wonderful older classic ships, so I do hope they spend some time bringing the Amsterdam up to a better level of design and decoration too. Rows of two-story tall, mottled silver, naked ladies in full-pike position standing against solid purple carpets in the showroom continue to haunt my memories of that ship.

Looking forward to getting back on the Rotterdam - which we remember having a far more pleasing and happy decor . We also enjoyed both the Zaandam and Volendam at lot. Veendam, more cooridinated but a little to shiny and glitzy for my own personal tastes. Looking forward in a few months to seeing how the Maasdam has evolved over time. So we have covered all of the R and S ships.

All of which is still a very minor consideration when we continue picking HAL ships - itineraries and crew can't be beat, so decor goes way down the list, it at all, when it comes to our making choices for HAL ships. It just seems when HAL has so much going for it, that the remaining decor mismatches seem so out of place.

But then I don't know how these decisions get made in Seattle. I do know it has been steady improvement, noticeable improvement over the 10 years we have been sailing. Brava, HAL. You have a great product - show it off in every way you can.