Claustrophobia

rosiemontrose

Hi - it's great to have such a resource as these forums!

Unfortunately, I think I might have put myself off the whole idea of cruise ships before I've begun - I keep reading up about a ship and thinking - Fab! This is the one! - and then I'll read more about it and put myself off it. And so I'll start reading about another one and now I'm just going in circles.

So then I thought maybe I'd do a ship's visit in Southampton and see for myself before I booked anything but having read all about that in depth I don't think I'll get to see what I need to see... Apparently, you might not even get to see a cabin, let alone try locking yourself in it to see what happens... And to do that I'd need to take a couple of days off work so it's a bit daft to take the risk of not seeing what I need to see.

I am quite badly claustrophobic, but it's the fear of getting trapped above all else that produces the (irrational) panic, so it's the locks on the doors and windows that I need to know about, not so much the floor space etc.

I would have to have a balcony cabin and it would be a solo trip. (So I know I'm paying over the odds straight-off, but I'm prepared for that because I've wanted to go on a cruise for a long time.)

But I am worried that I won't be able to handle the claustrophobia if the locks are the wrong kind or the doors etc get jammed. I would never get in a lift anyway so they're not a problem. (I'm hoping I won't have to climb too many floors, though...) But I can't handle being stuck in great crowds of people, either. eg in the drill muster...

I keep reading and reading and then I think I'll just book a four-day trip to see how it works out - but it is possible that I'd get on the ship and then a door will jam and I'll get carried off the ship some time later a complete basket-case.

Any suggestions? I can't believe I'm the only claustrophobic person to want to go on a cruise...

The other major thing (uh, I have a list of little things, too) is that a friend who went on a solo trip last year found herself constantly plagued by people who seemed to think she shouldn't be on her own. For that reason - is there room service? Could I have all my meals in my cabin? I'm reading contradictory things about that.

Anyway - I've waffled enough. Thank you for reading.

Sorry to hear about your claustrophobia. You can go on a smaller ship, some have less than 100. You can get a balcony room. You can always get fresh air alone sitting outside. You can sleep with the balcony door open some. Most have room service. You can visit the buffet at odd times and find less crowds and move around people. The back tends to be way less crowded. There are always a quiet corner on a ship. Backs of shows are less crowded. Not everyone shows up for muster drills. Join the spa, they tend to be more quiet. The Haven rooms on the Norwegian Escape can be completely private, butler service even. You board privately in a much smaller group, private dining rooms. And ultimately you can do it.. Research the Haven rooms online and in YouTube. Might be more ideal. Some meds help as well. And ultimately you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't listen to people who say "... not everyone shows up for muster drills..." that's a good way to get yourself thrown off a ship. Also sleeping with balcony door open, while possible, tends to foul up a lot of other cabins' air conditioning - and is strongly discouraged. That said: even in just an ocean view cabin the sight of the open sea is so liberating that it might just immunize you. A balcony cabin is great, but there are many open deck areas where you can hang out. I have never experienced a mal-functioning lock, but I suppose it is possible. Finally, it is easy to figure out times and locations to enable you to avoid crowds.

Give a short cruise a try - you may very well find that the breadth of the sea will more than off-set any closeness experienced.

How do you do in resort type hotels? Well, that's what the ship is like. Unless you go on a VERY small ship, you won't even KNOW it's a ship! They are huge, and public areas are spacious! I would look at deck plans and book the largest cabin you can afford, as ship cabins aren't as large as hotel rooms. Carnival has the largest standard cabins, but if you can swing a mini or junior suite on other lines, the space will be more like a hotel room.

Windows NEVER open on a ship. Only doors open! A balcony at the minimum seems to be what you would like.

You don't have to be in the middle of the "crowd" at muster...many times, muster is held inside, where folks sit in chairs...dining room, or lounge. If you have to be on deck, just work your way up front, so you will have no one directly in front of you.

Dining....unless you WANT to be alone, pick a large table in traditional dining, so you can make friends to eat with at dinner. But, if you want to be solo, you can...simply pick "anytime" dining and you will be seated alone. Room service is an option, but unless you're in a large suite, the offerings aren't great...burgers, salad, etc....there is always the buffet...not usually crowded for dinners.

And, if you don't think cruising is for you....simply don't! While most enjoy it, not everyone does. Your life will go on if you never take a cruise!

Sorry to hear about your claustrophobia. You can go on a smaller ship, some have less than 100. You can get a balcony room. You can always get fresh air alone sitting outside. You can sleep with the balcony door open some. Most have room service. You can visit the buffet at odd times and find less crowds and move around people. The back tends to be way less crowded. There are always a quiet corner on a ship. Backs of shows are less crowded. Not everyone shows up for muster drills. Join the spa, they tend to be more quiet. The Haven rooms on the Norwegian Escape can be completely private, butler service even. You board privately in a much smaller group, private dining rooms. And ultimately you can do it.. Research the Haven rooms online and in YouTube. Might be more ideal. Some meds help as well. And ultimately you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your reply! And for the suggestions! But mostly for the encouragement.

Don't listen to people who say "... not everyone shows up for muster drills..." that's a good way to get yourself thrown off a ship. Also sleeping with balcony door open, while possible, tends to foul up a lot of other cabins' air conditioning - and is strongly discouraged. That said: even in just an ocean view cabin the sight of the open sea is so liberating that it might just immunize you. A balcony cabin is great, but there are many open deck areas where you can hang out. I have never experienced a mal-functioning lock, but I suppose it is possible. Finally, it is easy to figure out times and locations to enable you to avoid crowds.

Give a short cruise a try - you may very well find that the breadth of the sea will more than off-set any closeness experienced.

Thank you for your reply. Okay - that's useful info - ref the balcony door being open messing up the air con. I would be relying on having it open. It's only when a door is shut that the (utterly irrational and uncontrollable) panic begins.

I've actually been thinking about this very thing. I have some type of claustrophobia as well. Sometimes, when I'm traveling down the interstate in my Jeep, I'll suddenly feel very closed in. I have to stop on the side of the road and walk around beside the interstate to get a feeling of space.

I watched a few videos of cruise room reviews as well as ship walkthroughs (Carnival's Dream). My wife and I are scheduled to go on our first in July, so I thought it would be beneficial to become a little familiar with what we're getting into. When I saw the couple walk to the balcony and show the view out on the vast ocean, I put myself in that situation. As something I thought I would relish (no responsibilities, no easily available ways to be contacted, no child, no pressure from work, etc.).....I was suddenly overcome with this tense feeling of being SO isolated and out of control, that I can only describe it as a form of claustrophobia. Yeah there's room and people...but as a collective, you're effectively cutoff from all that you know. It got to me. We're still going on the cruise, of course, but I can relate.

How do you do in resort type hotels? Well, that's what the ship is like. Unless you go on a VERY small ship, you won't even KNOW it's a ship! They are huge, and public areas are spacious! I would look at deck plans and book the largest cabin you can afford, as ship cabins aren't as large as hotel rooms. Carnival has the largest standard cabins, but if you can swing a mini or junior suite on other lines, the space will be more like a hotel room.

And, if you don't think cruising is for you....simply don't! While most enjoy it, not everyone does. Your life will go on if you never take a cruise!

I've never been in a resort-style hotel. The hotels I have had to use when getting around have been pretty businesslike and near the ground floor so I don't have to get in a lift, and I always have to make sure I can get out of the window if the door jams... Yes, this claustrophobia/fear of being trapped thing is pretty limiting. I can't stay on a train or a plane for long in case I need the loo ie double whammy - no way!!!

Yes - a balcony would be essential, but now I've been told about it messing up the air con I'm not so sure - I would have to have it open to be able to manage.

There are many things about cruising that really appeal to me - largely the fact that I can get to places without going by plane, and going to several places without having to pack and unpack all the time. I think I can manage most of it - thank you for your suggestions. The main thing is the cabin itself and being able to have the balcony doors open. By the same token, I couldn't actually shut the door into the bathroom/shower room - I'm assuming I could leave that ajar, though???

Cabin doors cannot "jam" from the inside. They are designed that even if the deadbolt is thrown, and even if the battery is dead in the electronic lock, you can quickly and easily open the lock with the thumb latch from the inside. This is a safety requirement. Door locks sometimes fail to open with the keycard, but that is only from the outside.

I've actually been thinking about this very thing. I have some type of claustrophobia as well. Sometimes, when I'm traveling down the interstate in my Jeep, I'll suddenly feel very closed in. I have to stop on the side of the road and walk around beside the interstate to get a feeling of space.

We're still going on the cruise, of course, but I can relate.

Thank you for the empathy, LandsharkFrenzy!

Yes - it's 'some type of claustrophobia' - as you say - I always call it that because otherwise it all gets a bit complicated - I'm actually - sort-of - okay in a smallish space - but not if the door is shut - I'm not okay if I think I might be trapped in it - so I can get panicky if I'm surrounded by a crowd in a big place, or if a room is obviously locked for some reason - I once had to get out of an enormous lecture theatre - in a hurry - because I was overcome with the conviction that someone had locked the door. And I, too, have felt it when driving - sometimes in fog - but recently in a Mini car because when I picked it up and drove off down the road it suddenly made door-locking noises!!! Eek!

Are you going on a shorter cruise first, to make sure that a longer one will be okay?

Cabin doors cannot "jam" from the inside. They are designed that even if the deadbolt is thrown, and even if the battery is dead in the electronic lock, you can quickly and easily open the lock with the thumb latch from the inside. This is a safety requirement. Door locks sometimes fail to open with the keycard, but that is only from the outside.

Ooh! I suddenly feel a great deal more optimistic about this whole venture! Thank you so much! You literally mean a simple, manual thumb latch? I've just googled a picture - that would make me feel totally fine if so.

Ooh! I suddenly feel a great deal more optimistic about this whole venture! Thank you so much! You literally mean a simple, manual thumb latch? I've just googled a picture - that would make me feel totally fine if so.

Well, I overspoke. The rotating thumb latch will operate the deadbolt. The lever handle on the inside opens the latch and overrides the deadbolt as well, just like a hotel door. Nothing on the inside of the door is electronic, it is mechanical, and by law must function to allow egress in any emergency by a single action (moving the lever handle).

When you've decided on a ship, Google the deck plans and hunt for a cabin close to the stairways- usually by the lifts- or one with easy access to the outside. The ship we use the most (P&O's Ventura) has balcony cabins near the rear, and opposite is a small flight of steps which take you straight on to an outside deck- just seconds away. Princess Grand class will be the same. That's an aft cabin on deck 14, with access to deck 15 with a small pool. The main problem is if there's bad weather, when outside doors might be taped off, so you'd have to walk back a few cabins and use the inside stairwell.

I don't want to discourage you, but just want to be realistic that rooms on the ship, even balconies, are smaller than hotel rooms. And the bathrooms are very small. You can attempt to leave the bathroom door adjar but if the ship rocks it may close on it's own unless you prop it open. And in some bathroom designs, the shower can flood the bathroom area which would make leaving the door open unfeasible.

As far as leaving the balcony open; people do it. Not sure why they would mess up the airconditioning for anyone else, but certainly would affect your room. The main thing to keep in mind if the balcony door is open is that if the balcony door is open and you try to open/close the door to your room, it will create a mini-wind tunnel. Can make it difficult to open the door. So, to not get freaked out about the "door jamming", you would want to be sure you always close the balcony before you try to open your door.

As far as managing without elevators, typically the restaurants/lounges/theater are on decks 5-7, and the buffet/pool/deck is decks 12-14, so that gives an idea of how many floors will be involved every day. We usually do take the stairs, except if going from the theater to the buffet in heels ;). Good luck, I hope you choose what's best for you. I've never experience what you a describing so it's hard to determine what might affect and not affect you.

As far as muster drills though, many lines now hold them in the theater/lounges so there shouldn't be huge crowds to stand in. But that varies by line so once you narrow down to which cruise line you want to use, you can get more specific on how that line does it. But muster drills are mandatory, they will hold a make up one the next day usually, but miss the make up drills and you are off the ship at the next port.

I would contact the Special Needs department on the line you are considering. Talk to someone and tell them your issues. Be forthcoming so they know exactly what your issues are. Explain that you are willing to do the tour BUT you really need a little personalization so that you can enter a cabin and "take a moment" to see if it works for you. Explain that you would require a crew member to be with you when you do it both to explain the room and so that you are not alone.

As far as I can see, this is a disability and cruise lines work with disabilities That is why they have the Special Needs department. I am sure that someone will work with you. If the first person doesn't help you, hang up and call back. I know on Princess if you are deaf they will actually have someone sail with you to help you with communication. They will translate the shows, help with menus etc. I'm sure that they will sit you aside at the muster drill so that you are not jammed in with the others. Don't know about the cruise ship you will be on but all Princess ships have some elevators that are glass so that you can see into the atrium which also should help.

Bottom line, don't give up on cruising because of "what if" scenarios. Call the cruise line and ask for help. The worst that can happen is you won't get it and you choose not to sail. The best that can happen is that you get great help, you sail and you become addicted to cruising.

Please come back after you make your decisions and let us know what you decide and if your problems were solved.

^^^^^^^ IMHO This is the best advice you've been given. Contact Special Needs. I spent a couple of years in the place where you are (crowds, elevators, planes and such). Right in the middle of that I was forced to do a cross country flight for a family emergency. The first thing I did when I checked in was explain to the agent about my situation. The flight crew were fantastic.

Good luck. I hope you find a way to love cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I overspoke. The rotating thumb latch will operate the deadbolt. The lever handle on the inside opens the latch and overrides the deadbolt as well, just like a hotel door. Nothing on the inside of the door is electronic, it is mechanical, and by law must function to allow egress in any emergency by a single action (moving the lever handle).

I can't tell you how grateful I am for these details. They have made me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I totally like it all being mechanical and not electronic! Yay!

Am gonna say thank you, anyway - *Thank You!!!*

When you've decided on a ship, Google the deck plans and hunt for a cabin close to the stairways- usually by the lifts- or one with easy access to the outside. The ship we use the most (P&O's Ventura) has balcony cabins near the rear, and opposite is a small flight of steps which take you straight on to an outside deck- just seconds away.....

Thank you - great idea! I am completely new to all this and wouldn't have thought of it. I need to find a way of 'keeping' this thread in my view now... *rushes off to investigate, Ventura, too*

I don't want to discourage you, but just want to be realistic that rooms on the ship, even balconies, are smaller than hotel rooms. And the bathrooms are very small. You can attempt to leave the bathroom door adjar but if the ship rocks it may close on it's own unless you prop it open. And in some bathroom designs, the shower can flood the bathroom area which would make leaving the door open unfeasible. ....

I shall put 'door wedge' on my 'buy for cruise' shopping list. What a great idea! I have them at home for the same type of wind-tunnel effect.

And I shall look forward to getting fit with all these stairs, too. Or at least make sure I have a book on me at all times for when I have to rest-up before tackling the next flight.

Thank you for some great practical advice!

I would contact the Special Needs department on the line you are considering. Talk to someone and tell them your issues. Be forthcoming so they know exactly what your issues are. Explain that you are willing to do the tour BUT you really need a little personalization so that you can enter a cabin and "take a moment" to see if it works for you. Explain that you would require a crew member to be with you when you do it both to explain the room and so that you are not alone.

As far as I can see, this is a disability ......

.... Bottom line, don't give up on cruising because of "what if" scenarios. Call the cruise line and ask for help. The worst that can happen is you won't get it and you choose not to sail. The best that can happen is that you get great help, you sail and you become addicted to cruising.

Gosh - well - I'm a tad stunned - having never thought of it as a disability... It's never occurred to me to think there would be strategies in place to deal with such a thing. But I suppose if that is what it is, then there would be....

I'm also not used to asking for help. I must try harder.

Thank you so much for introducing me to a whole new way of thinking about it.

^^^^^^^ IMHO This is the best advice you've been given. Contact Special Needs. I spent a couple of years in the place where you are (crowds, elevators, planes and such). Right in the middle of that I was forced to do a cross country flight for a family emergency. The first thing I did when I checked in was explain to the agent about my situation. The flight crew were fantastic. Good luck. I hope you find a way to love cruises. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yes, I'm just trying to get used to the idea that it's a disability. Which, of course, it is... It sounds like yours was temporary - any idea how you came out of it?

Mine's been with me for a couple of decades and when I've had to do stuff like get on a plane or have an MRI scan, it's become very much worse every time.

As far as leaving the balcony open; people do it. Not sure why they would mess up the airconditioning for anyone else, but certainly would affect your room. The main thing to keep in mind if the balcony door is open is that if the balcony door is open and you try to open/close the door to your room, it will create a mini-wind tunnel. Can make it difficult to open the door. So, to not get freaked out about the "door jamming", you would want to be sure you always close the balcony before you try to open your door.

Regarding the AC and balcony doors. The thermostat in your cabin only controls a small chiller unit that cools the recirculated air in your cabin. By design, 20% of the cabin's air volume is exhausted every hour (via the bathroom fan), and 20% of the cabin's air volume is made up of fresh outside air, to keep air quality up. This fresh air make-up is taken from the outside via a large fan and cooled and dehumidified in large chiller units located in fan rooms in those large "gray areas" down the middle of the deck plans. This fresh air supply is ducted to a group of cabins, typically 20-30, representing all the cabins on one side of the ship, on a given deck, in a given fire zone. The supply of this air is designed to slightly overpressure the cabins in relation to the passageways, so that in the event of a fire, smoke will not migrate from the passageways into a non-involved cabin. Now, when you leave your balcony door open, it does two things. On most ships it will turn off the chiller that cools the recirculated air in the cabin. The second thing it will do, is relieve the overpressure in the cabin, and a greater percentage of the fresh air supply will try to rebuild the pressure in your cabin (but will blow out through the open balcony door), so that the remaining 29 cabins in your block get less fresh air, and tend to get warmer. The "wind tunnel" effect you have experienced is the manifestation of how leaving the balcony door open unbalances the AC for the entire section of cabins.

Regarding the AC and balcony doors. The thermostat in your cabin only controls a small chiller unit that cools the recirculated air in your cabin. By design, 20% of the cabin's air volume is exhausted every hour (via the bathroom fan), and 20% of the cabin's air volume is made up of fresh outside air, to keep air quality up. This fresh air make-up is taken from the outside via a large fan and cooled and dehumidified in large chiller units located in fan rooms in those large "gray areas" down the middle of the deck plans. This fresh air supply is ducted to a group of cabins, typically 20-30, representing all the cabins on one side of the ship, on a given deck, in a given fire zone. The supply of this air is designed to slightly overpressure the cabins in relation to the passageways, so that in the event of a fire, smoke will not migrate from the passageways into a non-involved cabin. Now, when you leave your balcony door open, it does two things. On most ships it will turn off the chiller that cools the recirculated air in the cabin. The second thing it will do, is relieve the overpressure in the cabin, and a greater percentage of the fresh air supply will try to rebuild the pressure in your cabin (but will blow out through the open balcony door), so that the remaining 29 cabins in your block get less fresh air, and tend to get warmer. The "wind tunnel" effect you have experienced is the manifestation of how leaving the balcony door open unbalances the AC for the entire section of cabins.

As always, excellent information - thanks again for taking the time to provide this to us.

I don't want to discourage you, but just want to be realistic that rooms on the ship, even balconies, are smaller than hotel rooms. And the bathrooms are very small. You can attempt to leave the bathroom door adjar but if the ship rocks it may close on it's own unless you prop it open. And in some bathroom designs, the shower can flood the bathroom area which would make leaving the door open unfeasible.

As far as managing without elevators, typically the restaurants/lounges/theater are on decks 5-7, and the buffet/pool/deck is decks 12-14, so that gives an idea of how many floors will be involved every day. We usually do take the stairs, except if going from the theater to the buffet in heels ;). Good luck, I hope you choose what's best for you. I've never experience what you a describing so it's hard to determine what might affect and not affect you.

As far as muster drills though, many lines now hold them in the theater/lounges so there shouldn't be huge crowds to stand in. But that varies by line so once you narrow down to which cruise line you want to use, you can get more specific on how that line does it. But muster drills are mandatory, they will hold a make up one the next day usually, but miss the make up drills and you are off the ship at the next port.

If you search these boards for chengkp75's information about how a ship works, you will learn why propping balcony doors open is a problem.

Regarding the AC and balcony doors. The thermostat in your cabin only controls a small chiller unit that cools the recirculated air in your cabin. ...... The "wind tunnel" effect you have experienced is the manifestation of how leaving the balcony door open unbalances the AC for the entire section of cabins.

Thank you for the explanation. I totally get it now.

What I don't quite understand is how everyone I've spoken to in real life has told me - emphatically - that they all leave their balcony doors/windows open overnight because they like the sound of the sea...

Does this mean that when people buy places on a cruise ship part of their contract as a purchaser is to keep their balcony doors shut? Maybe it's in the small print...

However, unfortunately I can't unknow this now.