Amsterdam after dry dock - what is to be done?

Tampa Girl

I understand from another thread that the Amsterdam is due for dry dock after her 2018 World Cruise. Does anyone have any info as to what changes will be made, i.e. will the current library go the way of the Koningsdam, Oosterdam, etc.? And will the music in the Oceans Bar and Crows Nest also disappear? If so, there goes my vision of a Grand Voyage Pacific. I can't imagine being on a long cruise without music and a library.

Here is my wish list for the Amsterdam after 50 day Tales of the South Pacific a year ago:

1. Redo the entire decor of the show lounge - carpets to statuary

2. Vastly improve the stylishness of the Lido pool with more welcoming design and inviting colors

3. Compensate for the very dull large gray, black and brown tile mural inside the Lido buffet area

4. Ensure scupper drainage cleanliness so passengers are not chased off their verandahs due to the smell.

(PS: not our favorite HAL ship for decor - but staff, itineraries and cruises remain excellent - she deserves far better)

As the Amsterdam does the WC every year, plus now the Grand Asia again, I cannot see them changing the well-used library (hopefully). The ship does need sprucing up in many areas and I would guess they may make changes to the Lido areas. They redid the Ocean Bar at the last dry dock so they may leave this alone. Agree about the show lounge needing some updating but I do like the statues. For the length of the dry dock, I would venture a guess that there will be mechanical updates as well.

As the Amsterdam does the WC every year, plus now the Grand Asia again, I cannot see them changing the well-used library (hopefully). The ship does need sprucing up in many areas and I would guess they may make changes to the Lido areas. They redid the Ocean Bar at the last dry dock so they may leave this alone. Agree about the show lounge needing some updating but I do like the statues. For the length of the dry dock, I would venture a guess that there will be mechanical updates as well.

Do we know for sure whether the Grand Asia will be offered again in 2018?

• 3 months later...

They have deck plans for before and after May 2018 in the ONBOARD section of the HAL website.

The biggest changes I see are that there will be 21 - Lanai stateroms midship on Lower Promenande and the main theater - Queens Lounge will be renamed to The Mainstage. I don't see any other significant palyout changes that shop up in the deck plan

We have been on her for a 2 week Alaska cruise and are seriously considering the 2019 WC.

Glen

They have deck plans for before and after May 2018 in the ONBOARD section of the HAL website.

The biggest changes I see are that there will be 21 - Lanai stateroms midship on Lower Promenande and the main theater - Queens Lounge will be renamed to The Mainstage. I don't see any other significant palyout changes that shop up in the deck plan

We have been on her for a 2 week Alaska cruise and are seriously considering the 2019 WC.

Glen

OMG! Really? Lanais?? I am calling my TA today to change my booking for the Grand Asia!!!

OMG! Really? Lanais?? I am calling my TA today to change my booking for the Grand Asia!!!

That's what you have been waiting for, right?

BTW, there is almost no response to the 2018 Grand Asia roll call. I wonder if the "non-refundable" deposit is having an effect on interested cruisers. It would certainly have affected my decision to book early. Fortunately, it was not in effect at the time of our bookings.

Glen

Lincoln Center Stage in the forward part of the Explorers Lounge will be new also

Lincoln Center Stage in the forward part of the Explorers Lounge will be new also

So that means the live music in the Explorers Lounge is gone. Pity. Much more pleasant to sit in a cocktail lounge and listen to music than to sit in the Lincoln Center Stage. Another of Orlando's wonderful innovations. I suspect that our 2018 Grand Asia will be our last HAL cruise.

We heard some wet dock work to be done before the Asia/Pacific will be cosmetic. Such as carpets in the main dining room, which are way overdue to be replaced. Also the forward and middle set of stairwells may be redone.

Bill & Mary Ann

We heard some wet dock work to be done before the Asia/Pacific will be cosmetic. Such as carpets in the main dining room, which are way overdue to be replaced. Also the forward and middle set of stairwells may be redone.

Bill & Mary Ann

Thanks. I'm surprised they are cancelling cruises to do cosmetic work. Quite a few disrupted plans and it must be costing HAL quite a bit in compensation and alternate arrangements.

Roy

Bill & Mary Ann

They had a team working on the stairs carpets in March.

Thanks. I'm surprised they are cancelling cruises to do cosmetic work. Quite a few disrupted plans and it must be costing HAL quite a bit in compensation and alternate arrangements.

Roy

The wet dock, which is considered "unscheduled" as it was announced after sailings were open for booking, will be primarily to correct an urgent engine/mechanical situation that must be performed, but could not be done while the ship was sailing a standard itinerary and docked in a port. The cosmetic work is merely an advantageous side effect using the down time wisely. They would almost never pull a ship from service to perform cosmetic only work. Even the scheduled drydocks that happen every few years are primarily for mechanical and major structural work - any cosmetic work on the hotel side are again opportunistic.

I wish Amsterdam would do the Hawaii / Tahiti cruise. With a Lanai cabin I would be the first to book! Love those Lanai cabins!!!

Same, here! Love them. Perfect for me, and still eligible for a reduced single supplement.

I understand from another thread that the Amsterdam is due for dry dock after her 2018 World Cruise. Does anyone have any info as to what changes will be made, i.e. will the current library go the way of the Koningsdam, Oosterdam, etc.? And will the music in the Oceans Bar and Crows Nest also disappear? If so, there goes my vision of a Grand Voyage Pacific. I can't imagine being on a long cruise without music and a library.

She definitely needs a new dishwasher......