The clue is in the name?

I have been reading some reviews and came across a recent one on this site where the person concerned had booked an "Irish Christmas Markets Cruise" but found when he got there there were actually no Christmas markets and none even scheduled according to the tourist board, in spite of the name of the cruise.

This is of interest to me as I have booked a cruise with a very specific event as part of the cruise title and the event was the reason for booking the cruise. The clue was in the name.

Has anyone else experienced a cruise with Fred where the promised event did not (apparently) happen? Was anyone else on the Irish Christmas Markets cruise?

If a cruise is advertised as for a specific event and they do not go, then it would be a significant change, so you would be entitled to sue for damages for misrepresentation, unless there was a really good reason why they did not make it (really bad weather conditions, etc). Or if change made before departure you would be entitled to cancel (Package travel regs) Make sure you keep hard copies of your original booking details (title of cruise etc.) as I have know Fred change a cruise title........

I suspect with the Irish Christmas markets, people would not bother doing that, though people should be able to do so if they want to. I do not know what Fred's response was about that, but I am sure those who make a stronger stance would get more recognition than those who are prepared to roll over and have their tummies tickled! Fred, like other companies, tends to get people to sign a non disclosure form if anything is paid out so it is unlikely you would ever get info regards any settlements.

However, if it was just a "Med" or "Fjiords" cruise, for instance, then for alteration to be a "significant change" to an itinerary it could mean a change of 30% or perhaps even 50% of the ports scheduled as long as they still go to the med or the fjiords.

I should think it highly unlikely you would not get there, but there is a risk in any form of travel.

Hope you enjoy whatever it is.

I agree that if they did not get in because of poor weather etc then that is just life however according to the review they got in but there were just no Christmas markets. The reviewer adds that he actually got written confirmation from the tourist board that there were never any markets and still no response from Fred, not even an apology.

I have to say that I am basing this thread / post solely on second hand information in a review so it may not provide the full details, these things seldom do. They also don't allow the company the right of response. It is however a bit concerning.

The cruise we have booked a does actually have the event not only in the title but in the description as well. I think I will take a PDF of the details as they stand at present.

If the review is entirely accurate then I am surprised they do not go to advertising standards, I certainly would.

The cruise we have booked a does actually have the event not only in the title but in the description as well. I think I will take a PDF of the details as they stand at present.

If the review is entirely accurate then I am surprised they do not go to advertising standards, I certainly would.

I quite agree that it is a good idea to take copies if details as I mentioned in my previous post by hard copy as well as perhaps a word doc, perhaps taking one on your cruise as well as leaving another tucked somewhere safe at home.

The Advertising Standards Authority has controls over things that are advertised wrongly and all it can do is cause an advert to be withdrawn, so is not relevant after a cruise.

To fight a case you would need to sue, or at least start by threatening to do so, but would be best to do so by using the correct wording regards the legal entitlement - quoting the relevant law as well as saying what it is - a statement that you are entitled to something under a law that is not relevant is a bit of a give away to Fred that you do not know what you are talking about, so do not mean to (or capable of) pursuing anything. So you would need to research the position. I am lucky that I have a close contact with knowledge of consumer law. Trading Standards departments used to be able to advise on taking claims to a small claims court, but sadly cutbacks have reduced many services, but they, or the the citizens advice should be able point you in the right direction.

If it is correct about the markets cruise (dicey to take details from that sort of publicity), I think many people could have just wanted a cruise to those ports at a time of year when cruises tend to be relatively cheap, (we have done that). That is why I suggest there may not be the strength of feeling regards the lack of the markets - they probably sell the same sort of things in the continental markets in many UK cities anyway at Christmas time. As I said we would not know if anyone does get any settlement as there would have been a non disclosure clause.

I do think the special events being cited as destinations by Fred (e.g. Grand Prix, Bermudas Cup etc.), and charged at some very silly prices are another matter entirely and I suspect Fred has got those well in hand. Apart from anything else he would be arranging excursions to specific events at a very high price (and presumably profit), so I am sure he will ensure they get there if at all possible. Those sort of events book up very early, so those excursions cannot just be put in place a couple of months before the cruise.

I did not mean to worry you and am sure you will enjoy the cruise. Just worth being prepared, we always take copies of everything advertised for any holiday when we book. I think the only time we have used those copies was when we had great cause to complain about an excursion, rather than a whole holiday, but always useful things to have in a metaphorical, "back pocket". :)

I thought it might be a golf reference, didn't reckon you had the same affliction as me !!!

Jings - I've followed DAFC since I was taken to the "Eddie Connachan" cup final as a birthday treat.

I have cousin in said Hillfoots location.