When is Formal Night on the Venice to Athens Aug 25, 2017 Cruise and Embarkation

taylorcl

I can't seem to locate the date of Formal Night for the Venice to Athens Aug 25 cruise this summer. Does anyone see it on mysilversea.com?

Also, as a first-timer on Silversea, what happens on Embarkation night - anything special such as a welcome event? Or is there a welcome event the next night?

Thanks for the input. Trying to plan our nights.

That depends. If it's the Muse there will be formal nights in two restaurants on most nights. If it's one of the other ships, it will be in small letters just under the date on the itinerary page in Mysilversea. That will pertain to the main dining room.

Usually, the Captain's welcome cocktail party is at 7pm on the night after embarkation - it'll be in the main bar on deck 5 since you are on the Spirit. This is also likely to be a formal night.

On a 9 night cruise, I'd expect a second formal night and, given your sailing times, it's likely to be Aug 31st since you depart at 2pm. On Sep 1st, you sail at 10pm which is too late, and they never have one on the last night because everyone has packed.

On embarkation afternoon, shortly after the safety drill, there is usually a sort of drinks party and 'meet the crew and entertainers' hosted by the Cruise Director out on the pool deck, or inside if the weather isn't up to it - you'll be told where and when at the end of the drill. However, since you don't sail until 11.30pm, I'm not sure what'll happen.

I can't find where it is listed on our August 25th cruise either...so I have come up with 3 possible conclusions:

- We will have no formal nights

- It will get updated later (maybe 90 days)

- I can't find it

1.png

taylorcl,

We are also looking forward to this same cruise! Consider adding yourself to our CruiseCritic meet & mingle party.

Edited by mdpa

Thanks all, very helpful. Has anyone sailed on the Silver Spirit before? I'm trying to decide whether to get reservations at Seishin or Le Champagne. I've heard mixed reviews (indicating in some that the extra cost isn't really worth it).

Yes, would like to hear any words of wisdom. I booked one night of each, just to be assured that we could try everything once. I like to have the variety.

I've tried Le Champagne a couple of times and have decided not to bother again- the whole atmosphere is far too fussy for me and the food has been messed around with too much, but I know that is the opposite of many people's opinions so I suggest you try it for yourself at least once, it's the only way you'll know if you think it's worth it.

I haven't tried Seishin, the room looks awfully small and claustrophobic to me, but again that's my opinion.

Just remember - it's much easier to make a reservation ahead of time and then cancel when onboard, (you'd give the Maitre'd adequate notice of cancellation, of course) than is potentially being waitlisted for a dining slot you really want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have dined in Le Champagne on many of the ships and Seshin on the Spirit. In our opinion, dinner in Seshin is nice, but not worth the upcharge unless you really want the sashimi. We prefer to go to Seshin for lunch. Since few people go for lunch, it is always quiet and pleasant.

Again in our opinion, Le Champagne on the Cloud is by far the best designed room of any of the ships, and the room on the Spirit is the worst. Le Champagne on the Whisper and Shadow is pleasant and quiet. The reason we don't like the room on the Spirit is that all but one table are banquettes which means that one person must sit with his or her back to the room, and you are quite close to the neighboring table. Additionally, whoever designed the seats on the banquettes must have been 8 feet tall, since even a 6 foot person must have booster cushions to sit on in order to be at a comfortable height to eat. Very poor design in our opinion.

We have also found that the skill of the Maitre d' and his or her staff makes a big difference.

If you enjoy a very relaxing, multi-course French cuisine meal with formal service, then you will enjoy the experience at Le

Champagne. In the past, it has been possible to get several of the specialities served in Le Champagne on special order in the MDR such as the rack of lamb, Dover sole and lobster thermidor. I do not know if that is still possible.

As others have said, you won't know if you will like it unless you try it.

I can't seem to locate the date of Formal Night for the Venice to Athens Aug 25 cruise this summer. Does anyone see it on mysilversea.com?

Also, as a first-timer on Silversea, what happens on Embarkation night - anything special such as a welcome event? Or is there a welcome event the next night?

Thanks for the input. Trying to plan our nights.

Looking at the itinerary the most likely night is Thursday, 31 August with the 2 PM departure out of Katakolon. The only other night that makes sense, though a little less, is two nights earlier with the 5 PM departure out of Kotor.

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty sure the Formal night will be on the second night out of Koper, Slovenia.

Travel Journal states 1 Formal. 5 Informal and 3 Casual nights for this cruise although it is always subject to change once onboard.