Moving to luxury lines

After years of picking on people who have suggested cruise lines like Silver Seas, Oceania and Crystal cruises as reasonable solo options I now find myself joining their ranks.

In the past I would point out that I got cruises on Carnival and NCL for as little as $50 CDN a day. Well lately I have found such cheap cruises impossible to find, with cruises that I want to do often costing $100 to $200 a day. When people would mention luxury cruises did not charge gratitude, liquor. and other items that cost extra on the lines I usually use I thought of those lines as still costing too much..

However, two week ago I did Carnival Magic for one week with some friends, and I did not enjoy myself unlike the last four solo cruises I have done. And the total costs were over $8,000 CND.

This opened my eyes. If I was going to spend this type of money I wanted to enjoy myself. So I tried Royal Caribbean (a cruise line I had only done one short cruise before) as they had ships I always wanted to sail on, and routes going to islands I never seen before. But to my surprise the cruise that charged $1048 USD a person with double occupancy changed to $2408 for a solo cruiser ..... WHAT THE FRACK! 100% Supplement at $2096 I could understand but charging more! The cruise was only for 7 days so I was expected to pay $299.43 a day for an over-priced cruise where I am still expected to pay for a number of extra services.

Then I noticed on VTG that Azamara Club Cruises had an transatlantic November 7.2018 for $2278 USD + 25% supplement = $2849 USD for 17 days or $167.59 USD a day, No extra charges like I need on the regular cruise line, a better level of service, food and ship features.

Royal expects me to pay $300 USD a day.

Carnival often expects me to pay $150-$200 USD a day.

NCL for the cruises I am interested in are usually well over $100 USD a day.

But none of them offer the level of service it appears I will be get on a luxury cruise line.

Be warned! In the future you may see me pushing the luxury lines for solo cruisers.

Stand by!

Note: My Holland America cruise costed over $200 USD a day, but it was an Alaskan cruise and well worth the money. Plus I stayed on for one week at Eagle's Nest at Ucluelet and then two weeks in Victoria, that was a fun month.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

Earl,

I've not taken what would be considered a luxury ocean cruise, but on my first river cruise, I went with Uniworld which is considered one of the top of the line companies. I'm booked with them again for this coming September.

Because they waived the single supplement on my 2015 cruise and due to other discounts my TA got for me, I paid less than I would have on a mainstream line like Viking. Uniworld includes shorex, tips, and liquor, so the bottom line was definitely attractive, plus I got top notch service onboard.

Roz

Please tell about your experience when you get home. I am trying to figure out the same thing. Also please elaborate on your dinning experience.

Please share your experience when you return. I'm thinking of jumping ship :rolleyes: to a luxury cruise line for the same reason. My only concern is whether the onboard activities are boring!

Who are you asking about the experience? I will be happy to post upon my return:D......my cruise is VERY port intensive

so I don't plan on being bored during the day at all. I will be visiting places for the first time:D........and even when I sail

"mainstream" daytime activities are not important to me.......there are days I just read/lay on a lounger/nap and sip a drink,

I am happy doing nothing;)........but as mentioned my cruise is going from Barcelona to Rome and I plan on doing tours

every day.....cannot wait to visit Florence:D

Who are you asking about the experience? I will be happy to post upon my return:D......my cruise is VERY port intensive

so I don't plan on being bored during the day at all. I will be visiting places for the first time:D........and even when I sail

"mainstream" daytime activities are not important to me.......there are days I just read/lay on a lounger/nap and sip a drink,

I am happy doing nothing;)........but as mentioned my cruise is going from Barcelona to Rome and I plan on doing tours

every day.....cannot wait to visit Florence:D

Lois, I think you will really enjoy this trip. I also think you will love Florence. There is so much to see there, the Uffizi Gallery, La Accademia with Michelangelo's David, the beautiful churches, and there is so much else to see, that I guarantee you will not be bored on that excursion. Hope you have a great trip. Neil

Earl, I travel solo a lot, and so I'm used to paying those prices, even if I don't like it.

But I think you might be confused about one thing. The $2,096 equaling over $2,400 is probably because of taxes and port charges, which are not included in the initial quotes. Unfortunately, Celebrity and RCL usually charge 100% single supplement. And only recently have they agreed to give us double credit on status points.

Marc

Earl, I travel solo a lot, and so I'm used to paying those prices, even if I don't like it.

But I think you might be confused about one thing. The $2,096 equaling over $2,400 is probably because of taxes and port charges, which are not included in the initial quotes. Unfortunately, Celebrity and RCL usually charge 100% single supplement. And only recently have they agreed to give us double credit on status points.

Marc

Nope! Try it yourself. The final figure does include port fees and taxes. It is the same cruise, same cabin, same date and ship. All I changed is if it was one person vs two people going. And on Royal one person is charged more total fees than if two people book the same cruise. I have 4 solo cruises with single supplements ranging from 25% to 100%, I know how to calculate it. The idea that the website shows more than 100% supplement tells me I am not welcome by the cruise-line.

Azamara may be a luxury line, but with a single supplement of 75% I end up just a few hundred dollars doing a 17 day cruise on a luxury boat vs just 7 days on Royal where I will have to pay extra for the services that Aramara includes.

I know where to spend my money.

Lois, I think you will really enjoy this trip. I also think you will love Florence. There is so much to see there, the Uffizi Gallery, La Accademia with Michelangelo's David, the beautiful churches, and there is so much else to see, that I guarantee you will not be bored on that excursion. Hope you have a great trip. Neil

Hi Neil:),,,,,I think the other poster was concerned about being bored while "on the ship".........on sea days........(for

example). I won't be bored on those days either:D and I am really looking forward to seeing DAVID.

Hi Neil:),,,,,I think the other poster was concerned about being bored while "on the ship".........on sea days........(for

example). I won't be bored on those days either:D and I am really looking forward to seeing DAVID.

Lois, you will enjoy DAVID, as it is truly special to see. When I traveled to Florence it was on a land trip so we had a few days to enjoy Florence, and it still wasn't enough time. From seeing David you can walk a few blocks and see the Church of Santa Croce where Michelangelo, Galileo, Rossini, and others are buried. I have always loved Italy, it is truly one of my favorite places, with all the beauty and history you find there. Almost every church and cathedral is virtually a museum with all the art and frescos. I envy your trip and know that you will enjoy it. Neil

Marc

I am only now venturing out as a solo traveler since my previous traveling friend passed away. Most of my other friends are younger, still working or just don't have the funds.

It did take me moment to get use to the "sticker shock" with regards to solo rates but my TA has tried to assist with other discounts that help a little: previous cruiser, military veteran rates etc and considering even inside cabins or only ocean view. Celebrity does now give double credit points. I have two cruises booked this year and three in 2018. Two of those might be considered luxury: Windstar this August and Viking Ocean in January. It simply came down to whether I wanted to pay the solo price or simply cancel, and I've decided to go and have the best time I can.

It's counter-intuitive, but it really does seem to be true that on the luxury/specialty lines, a solo cruiser can actually pay less than on a mass market line. (I've had many posters here on CC argue with me that it cannot be true, but the math doesn't lie...)

I suspect it's because the mass market lines are so tied into selling cabins at a low price to maximize the number of bodies aboard, then trying to get the most "onboard spend" per person.

I cruise for the ports, and the main onboard activities that I'm interested in are good quality food, onboard lectures/enrichment, and availability of some live music. But the mass market lines definitely offer more than that. (I don't really miss it. :cool:)

It's counter-intuitive, but it really does seem to be true that on the luxury/specialty lines, a solo cruiser can actually pay less than on a mass market line. (I've had many posters here on CC argue with me that it cannot be true, but the math doesn't lie...)

I suspect it's because the mass market lines are so tied into selling cabins at a low price to maximize the number of bodies aboard, then trying to get the most "onboard spend" per person.

I cruise for the ports, and the main onboard activities that I'm interested in are good quality food, onboard lectures/enrichment, and availability of some live music. But the mass market lines definitely offer more than that. (I don't really miss it. :cool:)

Hi Cynthia:).......I know for my upcoming cruise I am paying quite a bit more than I have ever paid for a cruise.......

things in my life have changed and it is now possible for me to do it......and I am betting having 550 people on board

will be ALOT different than 2550;)........food and service on Silversea is supposed to be wonderful:D

Hi Cynthia:).......I know for my upcoming cruise I am paying quite a bit more than I have ever paid for a cruise.......

things in my life have changed and it is now possible for me to do it......and I am betting having 550 people on board

will be ALOT different than 2550;)........food and service on Silversea is supposed to be wonderful:D

Hi Lois -- the key word is "can" ;), it doesn't always happen. But I've definitely paid less for a luxury cruise than for a HAL cruise for almost the same itinerary, number of days, etc.

I really look forward to hearing about your Silversea experience as I would certainly consider them. I think I mentioned before that I almost booked with them for a Black Sea cruise but then decided against it as they had some major bad PR following an inspection -- numerous food safety violations. :eek: However, that was a while ago and they seem to be on their game now.

Hi Lois -- the key word is "can" ;), it doesn't always happen. But I've definitely paid less for a luxury cruise than for a HAL cruise for almost the same itinerary, number of days, etc.

I really look forward to hearing about your Silversea experience as I would certainly consider them. I think I mentioned before that I almost booked with them for a Black Sea cruise but then decided against it as they had some major bad PR following an inspection -- numerous food safety violations. :eek: However, that was a while ago and they seem to be on their game now.

Oh my.....I didn't know that:eek:............I am going with a positive attitude and hoping everything is top notch:D will be glad

to let you know how it goes upon my return.:D

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed both Silversea and Crystal solo and loved every minute of the trips. I love the smaller and sometimes very small (125 people) ships, the service is very personal, and the food great. I also like not worrying about gratuities and drinks- and the enrichment programs are usually much better.

• 1 month later...

I have recently booked Windstar and Star Clipper cruise as they were having a sale with no single supplement. I have cruised with Carnival and Holland in the past and altho these are a little less than windstar and star clipper the smaller sailing ship and getting to visit islands like Jost Van Dyke more than make up for the extra I will pay. I am frugal but the little extra will be more than worth it for what my experience will be.

I have recently booked Windstar and Star Clipper cruise as they were having a sale with no single supplement. I have cruised with Carnival and Holland in the past and altho these are a little less than windstar and star clipper the smaller sailing ship and getting to visit islands like Jost Van Dyke more than make up for the extra I will pay. I am frugal but the little extra will be more than worth it for what my experience will be.

Hope you have a great trip with them. I had always thought about doing a cruise with them but because of the smaller size, there were not many bargain fares available, and I am on the frugal side as well. Please come back after your trip and let us know what you thought of it.

What itineraries are you doing? I just started looking at Star Clipper to the med.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread. I'd REALLY like to experience an upscale line because I prefer small ships. However, I'm stuck with HAL simply because I don't drink. Not teetotal -- I'll occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner but that's about it. I really wish that there were an upscale line that wasn't quite so all-inclusive.

This is an interesting thread. I'd REALLY like to experience an upscale line because I prefer small ships. However, I'm stuck with HAL simply because I don't drink. Not teetotal -- I'll occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner but that's about it. I really wish that there were an upscale line that wasn't quite so all-inclusive.

Have you considered Oceania? I think O is much better than HAL, but enjoy HAL too. Alcohol is not included, but every other beverage is...fancy coffees, smoothies, milkshakes, etc. no charge for the special restaurants either.

Why are you "stuck" because you don't drink? There's nothing about an all-inclusive line that says you have to drink, and the all-inclusive situation does not mean that the place is full of drunks. If what you want is upscale, then go for it and enjoy all the upscale services and amenities, as well as the atmosphere of all-inclusive (no one trying to sell you anything, no asking you for your card to charge you, etc.)

Have you considered Oceania? I think O is much better than HAL, but enjoy HAL too. Alcohol is not included, but every other beverage is...fancy coffees, smoothies, milkshakes, etc. no charge for the special restaurants either.

This is good information! I didn't know that! I just assumed that charges for alcoholic beverages were built into the quoted fare. And those ships are a very nice size. Thanks!!!