2018 Family Cruise

shorty62

This is my first time on this site and would like to know how to plan a cruise for about 20 people?

I have been on several cruises already and is trying to introduce cruising to my younger generations,:( the problem is, I have a single parent with 5 children (14,11,9,7 and 2) ages for 2018. What is a good cruise line to use so that she can afford to take all of her children, how many days to cruise for and should it be Western, Caribbean, etc? I will appreciate all info.

Welll, there are several ideas, but if cost is a factor, the family suites on some lines probably would be out of her price range. I would suggest investigating the lines with 'kids sail free' offers. One is MSC, where kids sail free in a cabin with two full paying passengers. So she could book a quad cabin with three of the kids, two of which would sail free. then see if any other family members would be willing to take the other two into their cabins, for free.

Carnival Dream class and Vista have Deluxe OV cabins for five, with a split bath, but no kids sail free promos. And she would still have to farm out one child. I think NCL also has kids sail free promos but I am not very familiar with them. EM

Please talk to her to see if she requires a kids club or nursery for the 2 year old, since that will affect which lines you should choose.

Ā 

Ā 

you can also look into the possibility of having the kids sign up to sleep in a different cabin, but move them into the single parents cabin once onboard since this may be cheaper if you can get a kids or 3/4 person sail free offer. But honestly I can't imagine 6 people being able to sleep in an interior cabin, so she may need a family suite irregardless.

Ā 

Also is there a port within driving distance?

This is my first time on this site and would like to know how to plan a cruise for about 20 people?

Ā 

I have been on several cruises already and is trying to introduce cruising to my younger generations,:( the problem is, I have a single parent with 5 children (14,11,9,7 and 2) ages for 2018. What is a good cruise line to use so that she can afford to take all of her children, how many days to cruise for and should it be Western, Caribbean, etc? I will appreciate all info.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I agree that the first hurdle is the family of 6 - if you can do two rooms that would be ideal, putting the 14, 11 and 9 in one room and the younger to with mom. Unless you have lots of people to help with the 2 yo, then I would look at the lines like Carnival - on newer ships like Sunshine, Magic etc so the kids have the sports square. That's going to be the lowest end of the budget and it only goes up from there. Western Caribbean is our favorite - along with the week long cruise so you can really relax - because there is the most variety of options to do/see.

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding the cruise overall, the single mom will need to get her family to the port and then expect approximately $13 per person per day for tips - $78. So adding in those two factors is significant.

Ā 

As for the cruise, I also prefer the Western routes. I would look at the cost factor for getting everyone to the different embarkation ports then look at what ships are possible from those ports.

Ā 

As for the five children and one parent, within your group are there any opportunities for other adults in the group to take a child or two in their cabin (grandparent, etc.?). Or combine the older two kids with two from another family within your group - cousins?

Ā 

Finally, with 20 people, a good travel agent should be able to get you a package rate that is significant savings. At least get some perks like gratuities included, soft drink packages, internet, etc. do not be afraid to shop around.

I agree that the first hurdle is the family of 6 - if you can do two rooms that would be ideal, putting the 14, 11 and 9 in one room and the younger to with mom. Unless you have lots of people to help with the 2 yo, then I would look at the lines like Carnival - on newer ships like Sunshine, Magic etc so the kids have the sports square. That's going to be the lowest end of the budget and it only goes up from there. Western Caribbean is our favorite - along with the week long cruise so you can really relax - because there is the most variety of options to do/see.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Although I agree that Carnival is the most budget friendly cruise line, I have most recently been cruising NCL, which is offering 3rd and 4th guest in cabin free as one of their "free at sea" promotions. Perhaps you can look into either adjoining inside cabins as the most cost effective, if available, or at least 2 inside cabins next to each other with the 3 older children in that cabin. The problem here is that you are looking for a reasonably priced cabin that sleeps 6, and it's just not there. The largest basic cabin sleeps 5, so you either have to shell out big bucks for a large suite, or book 2 cabins. Someone else suggested putting one of the children in one of the other parties cabins, and that's fine if that's agreeable with another party, but personally, if I'm paying for a vacation for myself and my hubby, I'm not too fond of sharing my cabin with someone else---even a grandchild. I've done that in the past, and won't again. I love my grandchildren, have them here frequently, but when I'm on vacation, they are their parents responsibility. And I like my privacy--and there is not much of that in a cruise cabin. So, if that is an option you are considering, you better make sure it is a well recieved plan on everyone's part, and they are not feeling like this is an imposition on them, but afraid to say anything---or you will have some unhappy fellow cruisers.

I would pick the ship and date...and tell the others. Perhaps have a travel agent they can contact...and let everyone book their own arrangements. Trying to organize 20 others is like herding cats....you will go insane. Let a TA take care of each person individually!

I would pick the ship and date...and tell the others. Perhaps have a travel agent they can contact...and let everyone book their own arrangements. Trying to organize 20 others is like herding cats....you will go insane. Let a TA take care of each person individually!

Ā 

Excellent advice, CB at Sea! My next cruise in January, there are 19 family members going! Everyone looking to me to help with organizing! Your comparing it to "herding cats" is spot on!

Another thought is depending on how many rooms you are actually booking, you can get group rates....

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

That is correct---usually around 7 cabins booked, you will get a discount. Check with your cruise line that you are thinking of booking with. My daughter and friends planned a cruise in April 2018 with Carnival on the Sunshine. As they talked about it, more friends booked, and then their friends booked. It kind of blossomed into a HUGE amount of people from their small community. They even joked that the local Tim Hortons will have to put a sign in window saying "closed for 1 week)! Lol! My point of all this story is to let you know that the cruise rate for all these people is CRAZY LOW including all taxes and fees. Book a lot of cabins=extremely low rates.

i would start with a good travel agent. they can give you a good run through of options. i have a family of 5 with young kids and prefer Royal Caribbean as they have these things called family staterooms. the family oceanview stateroom is almost double the size of regulat room but just a tad more. for example you can get it for a 6 day western caribbean cruise on Freedom of the seas with 6 people for about $3500 i think if you catch a kids sail free sale. im on one for nect Feb for family of 5 and paying $3000

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i would start with a good travel agent. they can give you a good run through of options. i have a family of 5 with young kids and prefer Royal Caribbean as they have these things called family staterooms. the family oceanview stateroom is almost double the size of regulat room but just a tad more. for example you can get it for a 6 day western caribbean cruise on Freedom of the seas with 6 people for about $3500 i think if you catch a kids sail free sale. im on one for nect Feb for family of 5 and paying $3000

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ā 

Wow! That is a great rate! For our January 2018 family cruise, my daughter booked a 5 person family ocean view on the NCL Getaway. I think she paid around $3600, and then recently she was able to snag the current promotion of 3rd and 4th guest in cabin free. She also got the Unlimited Beverage Package as a perk for her husband and herself. Pretty good deal! We will be right down the hall from her in our tiny little inside cabin! Lol! (But we also got the UBP!! Yippee!! šŸ˜ŽšŸ¹

Wow! That is a great rate! For our January 2018 family cruise, my daughter booked a 5 person family ocean view on the NCL Getaway. I think she paid around $3600, and then recently she was able to snag the current promotion of 3rd and 4th guest in cabin free. She also got the Unlimited Beverage Package as a perk for her husband and herself. Pretty good deal! We will be right down the hall from her in our tiny little inside cabin! Lol! (But we also got the UBP!! Yippee!! šŸ˜ŽšŸ¹

Yes it is also in Canadian funds. I also find western Caribbean route better if you have younger kids personally.

Ā 

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk