Recommended excursions for Nov3,2017 Silver Spirit Barcelona to Rome 5731B

texasskier

This itinerary includes some places we have never visited: Mallorca, Cagliari, Palermo, Valleta, Catania and Naples. Any recommendations from experienced cruisers re: private tours vrs ship excursions or just wandering through the ports would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Malta is a wonderful place. The municipal bus system is efficient and cheap and will take you to many places. I'm going there again next summer, and I doubt we'll book a shore excursion. We'll go ashore and do it ourselves. Itr's cheaper and easier. LittleRedJohn

We have spent a lot of time off season in Capri. If you go, do not be put off by the crowds at the port or in the center of town. I suggest that you go up to Anacapri and take the chair lift up to Monte Solaro. The view is spectacular. If you have time and are adventurous, hike down Il Passetiello to Capri town. Another wonderful hike is from Capri town to the grotto of Matermania and around to Punta Tragara past the Casa Malaparte. Of course you could always take a boat tour to the Blue Grotto, a tourist attraction, but still worth the effort.

In any event, have a wonderful time.

We have spent a lot of time off season in Capri. If you go, do not be put off by the crowds at the port or in the center of town. I suggest that you go up to Anacapri and take the chair lift up to Monte Solaro. The view is spectacular. If you have time and are adventurous, hike down Il Passetiello to Capri town. Another wonderful hike is from Capri town to the grotto of Matermania and around to Punta Tragara past the Casa Malaparte. Of course you could always take a boat tour to the Blue Grotto, a tourist attraction, but still worth the effort.

Yes! We've done (almost) all of that and second your great recommendations. You only have to get a little out of town to discover a totally different Capri - relatively empty, and beautiful. The hike to Matermania is gorgeous and it was fairly deserted when we did it. There is a ruin on that side of the island called Villa Jovis, and a nice view of a sea arch on the way to Matermania.

f5b8b17f49aec84e64e6555cf04d6f57.jpg

Also, if you have eaten too many desserts on board the ship, the Phoenician Staircase, which starts from the tender port, and leads directly to Anacapri, is worth checking out. A good workout, and a direct route to Anacapri which bypasses Capri Town if you've already been there.

45daf22d41bc0463df8cb4792ad7e1d7.jpg

What's the hike you mention - Il Passetiello? Not familiar with that one. Maybe something for next visit?

• 3 weeks later...
This itinerary includes some places we have never visited: Mallorca, Cagliari, Palermo, Valleta, Catania and Naples. Any recommendations from experienced cruisers re: private tours vrs ship excursions or just wandering through the ports would be very much appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Hi Texasskier

We too are on this cruise and have also never visited some of the ports of call and thank you for asking the question.

Jpalbany.. Il Passetiello ... you can walk up to Monte Solaro from I believe the name is Materita and then hike down to Cetrella which is near the antenna hill. From there you need to find the marks on the rocks which lead you to a sign indicating Il PAssetiello. From there it is an amzing combination of walking and hand on rock to make your way down to the traffic circle before you get to Capri town. I do not recommend doing it if it has rained since the rocks and leaves can be slippery. I first heard about in a guide book. There are also hiking maps of Capri which can be handy.

There is a fair amount of information on the net about it.

Edited by Emtbsam
Additional information.