Westjet Airlines

ranchette

It's a discount carrier but it's similar to the mainline North American airlines (or they've descended to discount carrier standards). Free non alcohol drinks and small snacks but you pay for food, bags and advanced seat selection unless you pay higher fares. Not a LCC but there's little difference compared to AC, UA, AA, DL.

Westjet is really no different than most of the main airlines. They fly 737's (different models) as well as couple of older 767's that they got from Qantas.

I've flown them with no issue and compared with Air Canada, United or American would choose whichever one had the best routing/lowest price combination.

They have a total of twelve B767 in the fleet not just four.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They only have 4 767. They purchased those aircraft for the Calgary to Hawaii market and the Canada to London England market. The were purchased from Boeing as refurbished aircraft from Australia. The OP would be on one of these aircraft if they are flying from London to Vancouver otherwise they are going to be a 737.

The 737-600, 737-700 and 737-800 were all purchased new. They have around 110 of these aircraft in service.

Key advantages: They have a policy in not over booking. Some of the older 737 have satellite TV. The others have a streaming product.

In economy they are comparable to most other North American airlines.

In the premium cabin they only offer a Premium Economy product on the 737 (similar to European continental business class). The 767 have a premium cabin similar to Air Canada domestic business class or what the American airlines call First class.

They have a good reputation. If you are coming from the US they do code share with Delta and American. Coming from Europe they code share with KLM, Air France and several others.

Given I choice, I always pick Westjet. Employees all own shares in the company which results in amazing service. The do alot for the community as well ( YouTube westjet Christmas for eg) I've never been bumped, made connections easily and service is always top notch

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

B767 where purchased new from Boeing nt used from Quantas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seems we are getting off-topic from OP's original question... but this article clearly says their 4 (not 12) 767's were purchased from Qantas. https://www.skiesmag.com/news/westjetgoeswidebodyboeing767entersservice/

Being older planes their inaugural year was plagued with reliability problems as well.

With four B767 you can't cover all the routes properly . They need spares because of routine maintenance and trouble occurring. They can't substitute a B737 for a B767.

Which is where Omni Air came (still comes?) in. Provided relief a/c in a pinch. WS still had a horrible stretch last year with cancelled and long-delayed flights. Several reported getting lots in EU 261 compensation for ex-LGW flights but only if they asked/demanded.

Maybe WS does have 8 767s stashed somewhere. Hangar queen cannibalised for parts.

I prefer Westjet than all other North American airlines. Great on time service and very friendly crews. And as mentioned elsewhere they do not overbook.

The comments about thier planes bought used or new is moot when you look at most airline fleet age of US carriers.

I prefer Westjet than all other North American airlines. Great on time service and very friendly crews. And as mentioned elsewhere they do not overbook.

The comments about thier planes bought used or new is moot when you look at most airline fleet age of US carriers.

The vast majority of their flights are on the 737. They have an excellent track record with that aircraft and a sufficiently large fleet that delays can be handled just about as well as any other airline.

The 4 767 have had some real reliability problems on flights to London Gatwick in the summer. They did not have a lot of slack in the schedule, old aircraft need a bit more time in maintenance etc. Lots of flight delays. I think they are getting better. Reducing 767 flights from London to Edmonton and Winnipeg should help in reducing flights to our stations. The 767 are easier to replace with a 737 to Hawaii. They have 737 that are certified for over water operation to Hawaii. From Vancouver the 737 can operate the Hawaii flight. From Calgary or Edmonton they need to do a fuel stop in either Vancouver, or Washington or Oregon state.

flew WS from FLL to YYZ

paid to choose seats which they gave to someone else no leg room but then some other airlines also squish you in

never again

I will take my chances with AC

flew WS from FLL to YYZ

paid to choose seats which they gave to someone else no leg room but then some other airlines also squish you in

never again

I will take my chances with AC

All depends

WestJet has a seat pitch of 31-33 (depends on seat) with plus being 36

Air Canada has 29-34 (34 being plus)

Air Canada Rouge 29 or 34 (34 being plus)

Pretty much the same leg room. Where Air Canada has a distinct advantage is they currently fly Airbus aircraft, the 3x3 Airbus aircraft are a bid wider than Boeing so there is a bit more width on Air Canada seats.

The closest competitor is Air Canada....

One difference you may find is the luggage sizes and weight. Air Canada is a little more generous.

I agree

WestJet carry on is 53 cm x 23 cm x 38 cm

while Air Canada is 55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm

For comparison:

Delta is 56 x 23 x 35 cm

United is 56 x 22 x 35 cm

Alaska is 61 x 25 x 43 cm

It is silly they all have different carry on limits.

Depends on where you are flying to. Have flown Westjet Abbotsford B.C. to Calgary to Toronto to Puerto Rico for a cruise.Westjet from Fort Lauderdale -Toronto - Calgary - Abbotsford after a Panama cruise. Westjet Abbotsford - Calgary - Toronto return. This coming cruise Abbotsford - Calgary - JFK. Good airline but not so much for really long flights where I prefer airlines like Air NZ, Singapore, & Turkish.