Non Refundable Deposit is now the default pricing

Andi Land

So, I was checking the price of my 2018 cruise now that the Ready Set Sail promo is over. I noticed that the price has gone down. In small print under the pricing it shows that the reflected fares are for non refundable deposits. I did a quick search of the site and it appears to be the default now. I called HAL and they confirmed this. If you want a price that is fully refundable you must call them for pricing. 😳

So, I was checking the price of my 2018 cruise now that the Ready Set Sail promo is over. I noticed that the price has gone down. In small print under the pricing it shows that the reflected fares are for non refundable deposits. I did a quick search of the site and it appears to be the default now. I called HAL and they confirmed this. If you want a price that is fully refundable you must call them for pricing. 😳

Where are you located?

How much is the typical HAL deposit?

I just checked Hawaii for 2019. Price went down $400.00 (ca) per person since yesterday........non-refundable deposit of $780.00 (ca). For a cruise almost 2 years out.......NO THANKS!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The lack of transparency regarding this very important change is very troubling. Such a change requires more than a note in a footnote, imo.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The lack of transparency regarding this very important change is very troubling. Such a change requires more than a note in a footnote, imo.

I agree. A footnote is not sufficient. I was very surprised.

This explains why my PCC told me that my deposit would become non refundable (and the price locked in) the other day when I called.

I honestly didn't see the footnote, but I wasn't looking or expecting one either. I am going to back to look and see how I missed it.

Frankly, I think this is a VERY dumb move on HAL's part. Either show both pricings or put some big and bold on the website about the change.

Sure is going to make a lot of work for HAL's reservation department, PCC and TA's. I feel for them.

Like the airlines, this is now the new norm in cruise industry if you want the lowest fare. Won''t be long before all the cruise lines are doing this.

It that is the case (and I am not doubting you), it will mean a fewer people booking early IMO. Who is going to book at a high price when it could go down later (yes, I know it can also go up too). It's not just the nonrefundable deposit but the "locked in price" which is how it was explained to me.

Checked random cruises for 2018 and every single one was non refundable deposit. I can't find one cruise with the regular deposit policy. This will certainly change how people book with HAL.

In the UK, deposits are always non-refundable. The purpose of a deposit, is to set it at a level where people book only if they fully intend following through with final payment. Travel insurance is the means by which deposits are "refunded", when health or other significant factor results in cancellation, with the exception of the excess portion.

It that is the case (and I am not doubting you), it will mean a fewer people booking early IMO. Who is going to book at a high price when it could go down later (yes, I know it can also go up too). It's not just the nonrefundable deposit but the "locked in price" which is how it was explained to me.

You can still do the refundable and price watch. You just have to pick the higher price flexible fare as your starting point.

Checked random cruises for 2018 and every single one was non refundable deposit. I can't find one cruise with the regular deposit policy. This will certainly change how people book with HAL.

This is not good! I wonder how it will apply to cruises booked onboard and to those of us using future cruise deposits??

Might be even more reason to purchase a FCD.

Edited by DaveOKC

In the UK, deposits are always non-refundable. The purpose of a deposit, is to set it at a level where people book only if they fully intend following through with final payment. Travel insurance is the means by which deposits are "refunded", when health or other significant factor results in cancellation, with the exception of the excess portion.

Totally get that but my understanding from a discussion two days ago is that not only is the deposit non refundable, but,the price of the cruise is "locked in". In other words, if the price goes down (before final payment) you cannot get it.

While travel insurance covers a lot of cases, it doesn't cover them all. People can change their mind because of world situations, personal situations that are not covered,etc.

This is a big change for North Americans, at least and, IMO there should have been some notice to HAL customers, especially those that were booked and had FCD's but perhaps I expect too much out of good business practices?

Just off the phone with my PCC on this issue.

She said that there are now multiple pricing on most cruises. You have a Mariner fare, a discounted (promotional) fare and the standard fare. The promotional fare is normally now non-refundable, while the Mariner and standard are refundable. The reason we are seeing more non-refundable fares right now is that we are between major promotions so they are discounting a bit more heavily, until the Explore4 comes out soon. She did say that the Explore4 fares should all be refundable.

I understand what HAL is doing, trying to get more people committed, but of course I like the old way better.

I also asked about the Future Cruise Deposits and non-refundable fare. She said that if you use this, you lose the $100 deposit if you cancel. So, you really should keep a couple of these on-hand IMO, as losing $100 deposit is MUCH better than losing a $1000 or more deposit.

Just off the phone with my PCC on this issue.

She said that there are now multiple pricing on most cruises. You have a Mariner fare, a discounted (promotional) fare and the standard fare. The promotional fare is normally now non-refundable, while the Mariner and standard are refundable. The reason we are seeing more non-refundable fares right now is that we are between major promotions so they are discounting a bit more heavily, until the Explore4 comes out soon. She did say that the Explore4 fares should all be refundable.

I understand what HAL is doing, trying to get more people committed, but of course I like the old way better.

I also asked about the Future Cruise Deposits and non-refundable fare. She said that if you use this, you lose the $100 deposit if you cancel. So, you really should keep a couple of these on-hand IMO, as losing $100 deposit is MUCH better than losing a $1000 or more deposit.

Dave, did your PCC say if you took the non refundable deposit that the price was "locked in" and could not be lowered? That to me is a major detriment and would keep me from committing.

that's great there are other options, but who wants to call all the time to see what the prices are. JMO

Edited by kazu

I hope the non-refundables do not apply to the Grand Voyages! I did not notice any such footnote on the 2018 Grand Asia, and my TA did put in writing that even if fully paid by the penalty date, it would be refundable. Think I will check the website again. Not that I'm worried, of course . . .

I hope the non-refundables do not apply to the Grand Voyages! I did not notice any such footnote on the 2018 Grand Asia, and my TA did put in writing that even if fully paid by the penalty date, it would be refundable. Think I will check the website again. Not that I'm worried, of course . . .

My understanding is that current bookings are fine?

It's only if you change or book now with the prices you see on the website that you are affected.

At least that is my understanding from my conversation,but you had best double check. I don't believe HAL can change your booking conditions that you have in place, but who knows?

Dave, did your PCC say if you took the non refundable deposit that the price was "locked in" and could not be lowered? That to me is a major detriment and would keep me from committing.

that's great there are other options, but who wants to call all the time to see what the prices are. JMO

I did not ask her that question directly, but assumed that it was the case - I could rebook but lose the deposit.

I did not ask her that question directly, but assumed that it was the case - I could rebook but lose the deposit.

I hadn't thought of that. You're right.

But, of course, most travel cancellation doesn't cover "booking for a better price" so that's a lot to weigh in with the decision.