Bermuda novice questions

sharona211

We'll be in Bermuda for a couple of days on the NCL Dawn next month. I have some questions if frequent visitors wouldn't mind providing their expertise.

Money - do I need to convert to Bermuda currency if I'm spending cash? Is it better to use a card with no foreign transaction fees instead?

Taxis, tour guides and restaurants - what's the expected tipping percentage?

Snorkeling - Is there a big difference in sea life when you snorkel at the reef vs near the beaches? We'll definitely be taking a snorkel excursion but trying to decide if it's worth it to go out to the reef (just me and DD14) or if we should just join the non snorkelers in our family and relax on one of the boats that anchors off of a beach?

Snorkel Park - ????? Waste of time?

Horseshoe Beach - Do chairs and umbrellas typically run out?

Crystal Caves - best time to visit?

New floating water park - anyone been?

We'll be in Bermuda for a couple of days on the NCL Dawn next month. I have some questions if frequent visitors wouldn't mind providing their expertise.

Money - do I need to convert to Bermuda currency if I'm spending cash? Is it better to use a card with no foreign transaction fees instead?

US currency is accepted everywhere. You don't want Bermuda dollars because you can't convert them back to US dollars. Yes, if you use a credit card, use one with no foreign transaction fee.

Taxis, tour guides and restaurants - what's the expected tipping percentage?

Tipping is similar to the US...about 15 to 20 %. Many restaurants automatically add a 17 or 18 % tip to the check, so be on the lookout for that.

Snorkeling - Is there a big difference in sea life when you snorkel at the reef vs near the beaches? We'll definitely be taking a snorkel excursion but trying to decide if it's worth it to go out to the reef (just me and DD14) or if we should just join the non snorkelers in our family and relax on one of the boats that anchors off of a beach?

Can't help you...I don't snorkel.

Snorkel Park - ????? Waste of time?

In my opinion, yes.

In my experience, no...but I'm not guaranteeing it.

Crystal Caves - best time to visit?

In my opinion it doesn't matter. Just don't show up later than the last tour start time. The information is on their website.

New floating water park - anyone been?

Apparently it still hasn't opened. Now they say next week. The whole thing has seemed a bit on the sketchy side from day one, but who knows until it actually opens.

I've inserted my answers above in red .

Snorkeling, unfortunately the typical boat excursions available in Bermuda don't go out to the outer reefs. I have done a few of those excursions in Bermuda and they all took us to close to shore spots. It was no better than snorkeling off of the beach at Tobacco Bay. The boat trips with snorkeling were fun as boat trips....but the places they took us snorkeling somewhat disappointing. Not like many snorkeling boat excursions I have done in the Caribbean. The only way I know to do the outer reefs is charter a boat. Which I have not done.

Horseshoe Bay. They can run out of chairs and umbrellas in the afternoon.

Snorkeling, unfortunately the typical boat excursions available in Bermuda don't go out to the outer reefs. I have done a few of those excursions in Bermuda and they all took us to close to shore spots. It was no better than snorkeling off of the beach at Tobacco Bay. The boat trips with snorkeling were fun as boat trips....but the places they took us snorkeling somewhat disappointing. Not like many snorkeling boat excursions I have done in the Caribbean. The only way I know to do the outer reefs is charter a boat. Which I have not done.

Horseshoe Bay. They can run out of chairs and umbrellas in the afternoon.

Thanks - that is what I suspected re the snorkeling. I enjoy the catamaran sail so I'm ok with it as just a fun boat trip. My daughter wanted to go off from our group in search of more fish but if we'd just be going out further to see the same thing then I'd rather stay with the rest of our family.

Google Bermuda Gazette. It has been posted that there is a rip current at Horseshoe Beach and the waters have been very rough. Snorkel near lifeguards and with a buddy has been advised. I think I would try to snorkel near other adults if it's only you and your 14 yr. old. Just FYI.

Google Bermuda Gazette. It has been posted that there is a rip current at Horseshoe Beach and the waters have been very rough. Snorkel near lifeguards and with a buddy has been advised. I think I would try to snorkel near other adults if it's only you and your 14 yr. old. Just FYI.

Sometimes it is rough. Sometimes there is a rip current The lifeguards will post signs if there is a strong rip current. I have seen them a couple of times there. I took a picture of such a sign last year. A visitor did drown snorkeling over the weekend. The article said they were in a cove so is less likely they drowned because of a rip tide. Good advice, everyone should Snorkel with a buddy. Also when we become seniors we should reevaluate our skills.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20170717/american-named-as-snorkelling-death-victim

d85eb16579ebf0e12352ba546dad05b6.jpg

We are thinking about booking a 7-night cruise to Bermuda, but we are docked in Bermuda for 3 days.

Is there really enough to do there to occupy us for 3 whole days? We won't be traveling with any children.

KS

What do you like to do?

There is a 'to do' list here. See how many you can do in those 3 days.

SBtS

[\QUOTE]

I cannot compare the two experiences, but we did the SHIP WRECK & CORAL REEF SNORKEL COMBO excursion a few years ago. It took us to a reef for a little while and then to a ship wreck. Both were considered open water snorkeling, but you can also relax on the boat... Or just float around the water with a noodle like I did. If you are considering an excursion, look into booking directly with the group offering the tour. It is usually cheaper than booking through the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums